Page 150 of 153 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 4574

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My former company decided about 25 years ago that any job other than senior management could be done by anyone off the street, anywhere in the world; and that they should not be direct employees of that company. That's the root cause of the fix they are in now.

Meanwhile, the back and leg injuries from my fall in 2012 have been hurting me quite a lot. To the extent that when I got up to the checkstand at Safeway a few minutes ago the checker insisted on having someone take my groceries out and load them for me. Between that and the Covid, I'm feeling pretty down.
    Sorry to hear about your pain issues. My father has just gone through a several years stretch of severe back pain as well. After several attempts at correction the last surgery finally seems to have helped him.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Thanks for your support everyone. I'm feeling better today! Especially since my niece, the daughter we never had, is coming for a visit on Friday! We will practice some social distancing and hopefully the weather will be good enough that we can do it mostly out on the deck.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Get well everyone

The Facebook group I'm in has a policy of banning people who block mods. This is, from what I've seen in the past, a sensible policy--for one thing, we had a person block all the female mods, which was part of a policy of not paying any attention to the women in that group no matter what they said. (As in, he'd respond to the same point if a man posted it.) However, I have a serious personality conflict with one of the mods. I've gotten an official warning over issues to do with it. Blocking him would prevent those, because I just wouldn't see him anymore. I was asked to provide evidence of something I said he'd said, and of course I can't find it because Facebook's search function is terrible and I don't remember when he said it. And I was asked about screenshots despite it being explicitly against the rules to screenshot conversations in the group.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Tonight wondering about a person who I will never talk to or see because of my own silliness, and wondering if her and her family are doin alright during the pandemic.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Formula One race driver Sergio Perez has tested positive for Covid-19 and will miss at least the next two races, both at Silverstone, UK. He's already been the subject of speculation that he will be dropped from his team next year despite being the better of the two drivers, because his teammate's daddy bought the team.
    I've been an F1 fan since 1966. This has already been a messed-up season, starting with the opening race at Melbourne which was cancelled only a few minutes before practice was to start. They've been doing a good job on the restarted season with lots of masks and testing, but now who knows?

But then my wife's neurologist's office called.

A couple of years ago her doctor referred her to the neurologist for her migraines. Her completely debilitating migraines. The neurologist suggested Botox injections. After a couple of months Medicare approved that and she got her first ones.

Hallelujah! It was like a miracle. Night and day. Several debilitating migraines a week became one or two minor episodes a month. Just get the shots every three months and life is so much better! And there's an appointment tomorrow for the next ones.

So this afternoon the neurologist's office called. Medicare has changed the criteria for approving Botox. They now want "documentation" of three or more migraines a week lasting four or more hours. Where are we supposed to get that, given that she's been on the Botox for a couple of years? Oh, just go off the Botox for a while and have at least 48 hours of agony a month so you can document it! This was effective July 1.

The product is really expensive, I get that. What am I supposed to do about it, just watch her suffer?

The stress from this has caused her a migraine and got both of us depressed. I am thoroughly pissed off at:
    A) The US healthcare "system",
    B) The entire US government,
    C) The manufacturers who inflate the price* so badly,
    D) Pretty much the entire world, save this forum.

*I just looked at the bill for the last treatment. US$3,870.00 for the latest treatment, just for the product.
    Update:
    The neurologist recommended another medicine, called Aimovig. It's a once a month injection. She had the first shot almost three weeks ago. But it takes a while to take effect.
    Then last week we got a letter from Medicare, saying she was "provisionally approved" for the Botox. Whatever that means. So I sent a message to the doctor via their online chart system asking what do we do now? That was a week ago. No response. So I've sent another one this morning.
    My wife is currently curled up in the bedroom, in the dark, suffering. I'm really upset and feel so damn helpless.

She has my sympathy. I get migraine headaches so I know what it is like, but in my case they are rare. They are one reason I usually avoid alcohol, though (it’s a trigger). Good luck!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    She has my sympathy. I get migraine headaches so I know what it is like, but in my case they are rare. They are one reason I usually avoid alcohol, though (it’s a trigger). Good luck!
    Thanks. My wife hasn't had a drink in many years. But she needs pain killers for other issues, which also don't help for the migraines.
    I should probably avoid any further alcohol tonight!

Over a week of severe depression. I should be at faire right now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Damn. This year really has sucked, hasn't it?

On the brighter side, my wife is better today. And I get to watch a Formula One race in the morning.

Hope you get out of it soon. During one of my worst eras of depression I ended up watching stuff like reruns 7th haven, Passions and road to Avonlea. Then A horrible show for a few weeks of airplanes crashing into tall buildings in New York. It sucks to have no energy, grumpy, and not caring wants happens to you. I know yours comes about by brain chemistry being a bit off, mine I think as if people have so much mental armor and mine just got worn out for a while.

Like to add to the above statement. Gillian was the first one to welcome me here many years ago. At that point I was working in call center I for a while and just started getting back into astronomy. I was at a pretty low place at the time and Cosmoquest well BABB then BAUT then Cosmoquest has been a fairly welcoming place along with Phils blog and allowed to rebuild the shields a bit. Since then I have at least a few online friends in the skeptical movement and have found others with similar views, just a general thank you that is this meant to be.

Depression is a liar and a thief. It steals our moments of joy from life.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Depression is a liar and a thief. It steals our moments of joy from life.
    To be fair, it didn't steal faire from me. That was selfish people who just couldn't follow sensible medical precautions. What's really frustrating, though, is that it seems as though a lot of people in my life decided that last week was the ideal time to gaslight me.

"You can't erase icing."

On the good news side, my wife's Botox for migraines has been approved and she's getting her injections tomorrow. I had to cancel a routine appointment with the dermatologist but that was an easy decision.

ETA: That's assuming the doctor doesn't go into labor in the next 18 hours, which is all too possible!
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2020-Aug-03 at 11:46 PM.

Simon's got his well-child visit with his doctor today; he'd somehow gotten it into his head that he was getting vaccinated for COVID-19 while we were at it, and I had to tell him that there's no vaccine yet.

"You can't erase icing."

"I heard that it will take a year for that Mars lander to get to Mars. I tell you what, the Space Shuttle was the best thing NASA ever did. It could go anywhere. If you took a Saturn V and launched ships to a third of the way to Mars for fuel, and another third of the way, we could get to Mars on the Shuttle in a week!"

--relative of mine overheard at dinner last weekend; I kept eating and said nothing. Nontrivial science ignorance.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

On the good news side, my wife's Botox for migraines has been approved and she's getting her injections tomorrow. I had to cancel a routine appointment with the dermatologist but that was an easy decision.

ETA: That's assuming the doctor doesn't go into labor in the next 18 hours, which is all too possible!
    Cancelled. Damn. She had some Botox in early July for muscle dystonia in her legs and the doctor says she can't have it for other purposes this soon. It'll be October. I've just left a message trying to get my appointment reinstated but I'm not hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    "I heard that it will take a year for that Mars lander to get to Mars. I tell you what, the Space Shuttle was the best thing NASA ever did. It could go anywhere. If you took a Saturn V and launched ships to a third of the way to Mars for fuel, and another third of the way, we could get to Mars on the Shuttle in a week!"

--relative of mine overheard at dinner last weekend; I kept eating and said nothing. Nontrivial science ignorance.

Your restraint is a lot better than mine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Cancelled. Damn. She had some Botox in early July for muscle dystonia in her legs and the doctor says she can't have it for other purposes this soon. It'll be October. I've just left a message trying to get my appointment reinstated but I'm not hopeful.
    I did get in to derm and have some pre-cancers frozen off, but the emotional roller-coaster is really getting to me.

Awakened by artillery practice from the base at five in the morning. There are literally thousands of people who live closer to the base than I do; my best friend's about five miles closer and her house was probably being shaken, and even she isn't that close to the artillery range. I'm not thrilled they're doing it at all right now, but if they feel they really must, maybe wait until after sunrise?

"You can't erase icing."

Facebook has a snooze feature that turns off status updates from certain people you are friend with. Apparently, it has failure modes like if they comment on a picture or common friend's status. My brother-in-law has gone to war with my parents and I am still seeing comments in this dust up. It's ugly. I'm probably going to take a week off of social media to avoid it.

From my own experience, I have discovered that "winning" against an in-law is a really bad goal. My mother-in-law is a never give up, always get the last word sort of person. My father-in-law has commented (quietly) that I am the only person who has actually won an argument with her AND gotten an apology in his lifetime. Sometimes, it does feel pretty good, but playing the "remember all the times you were wrong" card is not a great move to pull on my mother-in-law. If anyone brings any of these cases up, I immediately launch into a dissertation as to why my mother-in-law likes dogs more than she likes me. I've gotten that speech down to a standup routine that my mother-in-law enjoys, which is quite the trick.
    Solfe

I was diagnosed today with 'moderate to severe' Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left wrist. The diagnosis didn't really surprise me as the symptoms seemed to indicate that result. My Dr wasn't 100% sure so I was sent to a Neurologist for a Nerve Conduction Test. It was interesting, if a little uncomfortable to see my fingers jump from the electric impulses.It was also a little painful when the electrode 'pins' were used to test the muscle response in my arms.

The Neurologist recommended that I have surgery to release the trapped nerves rather than try any other treatment options because of the severity of what the test results. While this is a bit of a nuisance at least a firm diagnosis has now been achieved.

Awakened by artillery practice from the base at five in the morning. There are literally thousands of people who live closer to the base than I do; my best friend's about five miles closer and her house was probably being shaken, and even she isn't that close to the artillery range. I'm not thrilled they're doing it at all right now, but if they feel they really must, maybe wait until after sunrise?
    They’re going to start bombing the virus soon.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Ouch! I've had CTS many years but it never reached the level of requiring surgery. These days it's barely a bother; the most noticeable effect being numbness while driving.
    One of the weird facts about it is that it does not affect the pinkie finger or the side of the ring finger next to the pinkie. That's some really inefficient wiring!

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I was diagnosed today with 'moderate to severe' Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left wrist. The diagnosis didn't really surprise me as the symptoms seemed to indicate that result. My Dr wasn't 100% sure so I was sent to a Neurologist for a Nerve Conduction Test. It was interesting, if a little uncomfortable to see my fingers jump from the electric impulses.It was also a little painful when the electrode 'pins' were used to test the muscle response in my arms.

The Neurologist recommended that I have surgery to release the trapped nerves rather than try any other treatment options because of the severity of what the test results. While this is a bit of a nuisance at least a firm diagnosis has now been achieved.
    Good luck with the surgery. People I know that have had it have had very good outcomes.

Ouch! I've had CTS many years but it never reached the level of requiring surgery. These days it's barely a bother; the most noticeable effect being numbness while driving.
    One of the weird facts about it is that it does not affect the pinkie finger or the side of the ring finger next to the pinkie. That's some really inefficient wiring!
    I have had the symptoms suddenly appear on an irregular basis for a few years now. Usually after just catching a finger the 'wrong way' and causing that sort of electric shock feeling. Previously they just faded away after a while. But of late, they have taken longer to go away and have become more annoying. The results of the tests were apparently fairly bad. Like you that bit about the pinkie finger puzzled me until I read up on that , as you said, inefficient wiring.

My Dr had a go with acupuncture but it didn't have any effect. I was happy for him to try as I was interested to actually see/feel the process.

Swift: Thanks for the wishes. At least it is only 'day surgery' under local anesthetic.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Aug-13 at 03:38 PM.

I think the bad idea was running the median nerve through the carpal tunnel, where it's susceptible to compression--the ulnar and radial nerves, which innervate the rest of the skin of the hand, have more open wiring runs and rarely get into trouble.
    It reminds me of the probably apocryphal Final Anatomy Exam reputedly set by an eccentric professor. It consisted of a single three-hour essay question: "Given the ear of a Benevolent Creator, what modifications would you suggest to the human form to improve its efficiency?"

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think the bad idea was running the median nerve through the carpal tunnel, where it's susceptible to compression--the ulnar and radial nerves, which innervate the rest of the skin of the hand, have more open wiring runs and rarely get into trouble.
    It reminds me of the probably apocryphal Final Anatomy Exam reputedly set by an eccentric professor. It consisted of a single three-hour essay question: "Given the ear of a Benevolent Creator, what modifications would you suggest to the human form to improve its efficiency?"

Grant Hutchison
    I love the exam question, and I love these design flaws. Always a lovely argument against Intelligent Design.