Page 133 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133
Results 3,961 to 3,976 of 3976

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We had a TV for about three months during my first five years of life, during which I was subjected to the mind-altering onslaught of the BBC's Watch With Mother cycle: Picture Book; Andy Pandy; The Flower Pot Men; Rag, Tag and Bobtail; The Woodentops. Apart from Picture Book, in which a lady with an impenetrable accent urged me to make things I had no hope of making, the whole experience consisted of unidentifiable puppets with unfathomable motives doing incomprehensible things. I was quite relieved when it was all over and the TV went back to the rental company. (I actually still get a little flicker of anxiety when I contemplate Rag, Tag and Bobtail, in particular.)

Grant Hutchison
    The only one of those I definitely remember seeing as a child is the "Flower Pot Men", which I liked. I don't think I saw "Andy Pandy" and the others I definitely don't recall - luckily apparently. Equally, I don't believe "Howdy Doody" was ever broadcast in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Today, while delivering Meals on Wheels, I encountered yet another street "improvement" which resulted in streets with curbs too close together...
    As an avid cyclist, these “traffic calming” improvements scare me. We have several in my area where traffic physically can not pass a bicycle for extended distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Much of downtown Olympia was laid out just long enough ago to not really be suitable for cars, and it irritates me when some of those streets allow two-way traffic and parking on both sides, because the streets aren't wide enough for that. Two cars can't go down the street in opposite directions at the same time in some of those places. I have friends who live in a fairly new housing development that has a similar problem in places deliberately, and whenever I go over there, we get the issue of who goes through that part of the street first.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Much of downtown Olympia was laid out just long enough ago to not really be suitable for cars, and it irritates me when some of those streets allow two-way traffic and parking on both sides, because the streets aren't wide enough for that. Two cars can't go down the street in opposite directions at the same time in some of those places. I have friends who live in a fairly new housing development that has a similar problem in places deliberately, and whenever I go over there, we get the issue of who goes through that part of the street first.
    It is like attempting to operate a single-track railroad without a dispatcher, time tables or signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It is like attempting to operate a single-track railroad without a dispatcher, time tables or signals.
    One of our absolute requirements in our househunting is no streets like that. We don't entertain a lot--though we'd entertain more if we lived in a bigger place--but I absolutely require enough parking around our home to throw a birthday party now and again!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The dentist said that they can easily be fixed, so this is on the borderline between this thread and the other, but I found out while visiting the dentist today that I have three minor cavities. While I gave up soda, cake, candy, and cookies in fifth grade because I never wanted cavities, I did drink a lot of seltzer water, and apparently fifteen years of that caused the carbonation to eat away at my teeth.

But those changes probably gave me fifteen more years of life without a cavity, so that’s good. In the future, I will practice greater moderation with seltzer and try to make sure juice is unsweetened before I buy it.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The dentist said that they can easily be fixed, so this is on the borderline between this thread and the other, but I found out while visiting the dentist today that I have three minor cavities. While I gave up soda, cake, candy, and cookies in fifth grade because I never wanted cavities, I did drink a lot of seltzer water, and apparently fifteen years of that caused the carbonation to eat away at my teeth.

But those changes probably gave me fifteen more years of life without a cavity, so that’s good. In the future, I will practice greater moderation with seltzer and try to make sure juice is unsweetened before I buy it.
    So, is your dentist going to fill them, observe and wait for remineralization, or do something intermediate and more clever? As someone whose mouth has been the dental equivalent of the Somme since age 10, and who spent thirty years working with dental phobics, I'm always interested in a bit of dental wisdom (pun intended).

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So, is your dentist going to fill them, observe and wait for remineralization, or do something intermediate and more clever? As someone whose mouth has been the dental equivalent of the Somme since age 10, and who spent thirty years working with dental phobics, I'm always interested in a bit of dental wisdom (pun intended).

Grant Hutchison
    They’re going to clean my teeth overall on the next visit, as well as open up the cavities, see how bad they really are, and probably fill them. In the meantime, I am using special toothpaste and mouthwash and another paste I put on afterwards that I’m not supposed to eat or drink for 30 minutes after I apply it.

I am also supposed to be more moderate in drinking seltzer and eat more dairy.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I'm under a lot of stress lately. I have a new student who can shred my staff with a few words. It is so frustrating. I end up running to my boss to beg her for advice on how to sooth my staff. That is weird, because I usually know what to say to them. They are great people, but man, do they get upset when dealing with this kiddo.

He isn't a bad kid by any means, he just gets under people's skin rather easily. 100% harmless on a very relative scale, but he is annoying as all get out. Except to me, he doesn't bother me at all. It is almost comedic because he tries but can't. I can't figure out what the payoff is because he is an otherwise model student. Academically, he's great, smart and a workhorse. His academic output is amazing for his situation.

He has autism, so he really doesn't "get" the social ramifications of what he does. Heck, half the time I don't either.

On on the positive side, stress makes me draw like a nervous twitch. I've been drawing a fair bit while I try to figure this kid out.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    They’re going to clean my teeth overall on the next visit, as well as open up the cavities, see how bad they really are, and probably fill them. In the meantime, I am using special toothpaste and mouthwash and another paste I put on afterwards that I’m not supposed to eat or drink for 30 minutes after I apply it.
    Intriguingly elaborate.

Grant Hutchison

Once again I had an encounter with a motorist who made things harder for both of us by unwisely trying to be helpful. He was in the right lane of a nearby highway and I was converging on an on ramp. He had the right of way and needed only to continue at constant speed as I was slowing down a bit to merge into a space behind him. Instead he slowed down and the space behind him closed up. I gunned it and merged ahead of him awkwardly.

Yesterday started out so pleasant! Irene and I ran a few errands. I picked up fabric for warm pajamas for her and Simon, and I was going to come home and make them after the lunch I'd also picked up. Then, as we turned the corner onto our street, the car just . . . died. I tried giving it a little more gas, and it didn't even seem to notice. I had enough forward momentum to glide to a stop out of the bus zone and in a legal parking spot. The Ren faire wagon lives in the car, because it does come in awfully handy (it's folding and is rated to about a hundred pounds, I believe), so I hauled it out and put Irene and our two or three bags into it and pulled her home. I was already aching a little, and by the time I got home, pajamas definitely weren't happening. So Irene and I sat and ate our lunch and watched TV. I went out with her to wait for Simon's bus later in the afternoon. It's been early enough two days this week that I went out early to find the bus waiting for us, and apparently six isn't old enough to walk to our apartment within sight of the bus stop these days without parental supervision. So Irene and I went out even earlier than that--and waited. And waited. And she eventually declared that she had to go potty, and she's definitely not old enough to walk back to the apartment on her own even if she were 100% reliable at opening doorknobs, so I took her home--and of course the bus showed up. So I left her sitting on her potty and started running to the bus--and pulled a muscle in my calf and couldn't do much more than hobble the rest of the day.

On top of all that, Irene decided that she needed to come back out when she was done using the potty, but she's not great at pulling her pants back up by herself. And then when Graham got home, Simon just yelled at him, "The car's broken!" instead of actually having an informed conversation, which he couldn't do but he could have waited for me to do. He went and checked it out and thinks it's either a fuse or the alternator, but he doesn't have time right now to figure out which by doing further research. So it's going to wait a few days until his next day off. Today, Irene has a check-up with the ear doctor, who's across town. Tomorrow, we have an assembly to see Simon get a citizenship award, which is a good thing but which will of course involve taking Irene on the bus, as Graham works 6-3 tomorrow and needs the car. And he said he'd gotten the car back to the parking lot, but I didn't see it, and I'm pretty sure my walking stick is in the car.

"You can't erase icing."

My wife is in Disney right now with my younger two kids. Me and my older son Paul have been left to our own devices. This was a conversation from 30 minutes ago:

Me: Why do you have a laser on a stick?
    Paul: To protect my eyes.
    Me: What about my eyes? Or the dog's or cat's?
    Paul: I wasn't going to play with the cats or anything stupid. I'll put it back in the blue-ray player. OKAY?*

Hmm... My wife returns in 36 hours... This house had better be standing or there will be heck to pay.

And I am trying to figure out what part of a blue-ray laser on a stick wouldn't be... ah... not horribly dangerous? I was impressed with his mobile power source, but I am afraid to ask what product the battery and control board came out of. The board looked like a sysquest drive controller from the 90s. The battery, I am not so sure. I hope he can put it back together, whatever it was.

* The "ok" that only a teenager can infuse with too much vigor and angst.
    Solfe

Sorry Solfe, I am laughing. If that is what your teenage son is up to your probably okay, but again he is going into the air force academy, I am glad my country is allied with yours.
    I kind of did the same thing when I was his age. I took apart toy robots and tried to build helicopter blades with components from a kit that included an airplane model, never went anywhere.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Sorry Solfe, I am laughing. If that is what your teenage son is up to your probably okay, but again he is going into the air force academy, I am glad my country is allied with yours.
    I kind of did the same thing when I was his age. I took apart toy robots and tried to build helicopter blades with components from a kit that included an airplane model, never went anywhere.
    In high school, my friend disassembled a couple of gas grills and attempted to build a wooden helicopter, big enough to sit in. He had a rotating part from a lazy susan and a 2x4 attached to it as the blades. The tank went on top of this, and he ran gas pipes/hosing along the top of the blades to the tips. On the tips of his "blade", he put the gas grill nozzles. It just charred the tips of the 2x4. As near as I could tell, gas grill jets provide zero thrust.

The result? I rather nice bonfire when his parents found out why there was smoke coming out of the garage.

He did turn the cockpit into a nice coast cart. At least that part was functional. It had 4 wheels, so weight savings was not on his mind for this contraption.
    Solfe

Yesterday morning we encountered a strange traffic situation, a solid line of cars on a normally quiet road. We were going the other way and when we got to the main road we saw that it was closed due to an accident and traffic was being diverted.
    It turned out that a car with three young adults, 21, 19, and 18, had gone off the road about 4:00 AM and hit a tree. All three died.
    I haven't heard yet whether alcohol was involved but seems highly likely.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.