Page 136 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4293

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I HATE SCAMMERS. There is nothing much lower in calling someone on the phone and try to scam people. My mother just got a call from someone claiming to be from microsoft with my mothers credit card number and is going to charge unless she calls back. I found the number in the caller ID and gave to me, hopefully they were just bluffing.
    If they said the number, obviously she should call the credit card issuer and have it canceled. If not, she still might want to call the issuer and alert them in case anything happens.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    If they said the number, obviously she should call the credit card issuer and have it canceled. If not, she still might want to call the issuer and alert them in case anything happens.
    And check where the number you called-back is located. If a fax modem answered, it was probably just a spoofed number, but there have been cases where people got surprise charges on their phone bill for calling back.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...C-357304A1.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I think that I mentioned here before that I still get occasional pre-recorded phone calls or text messages about repaying my student loan or applying to have it “forgiven.” As I got through all of college without any loans at all, they’re obviously wrong.

As the same name is always mentioned for the targeted person, I suspect that it is genuine, and refers to whomever had this phone number before I did. I’ve been ignoring these (or sending back a rude message). Now, I’ve had this phone number for well over ten years, so you think they’d give up.

Yesterday I answered a call which appeared to be from my area code and exchange. I got a pre-recorded message about student loan forgiveness. I hung up (or the electronic equivalent) and blocked the number.
    Twenty minutes later, I get another call from a similar but non-identical number, with the same darn message! I was annoyed, to say the least, so I waited for an opportunity to talk to the perpetrator and cuss them out properly. When the voice asked if I’d like to hear more about their repayment plan, I said “yes.” The voice them announced some preliminary questions, the first of which was, “Do you have an outstanding student loan,” to which I truthfully responded “no.” The machine then shifted gears, said something like “sorry, we are unable to help you,” and disconnected.

I then realized it wasn’t my usual antagonists. With increased belligerency, I made a return call to the number in the display. Even if I got the same message, I’d answer “yes” on that first question and tell them I needed lots of money, thinking that might get to a (semi-)human ear.

What I got was some woman who instantly said “Please don’t bother me again! I’m tired of these fake phone calls!” Aha! I apologized and explained that I was having the same problem.

No doubt what these thieves do is collect your money and absolve you, although that has no effect upon your actual debt. They must also spoof the displayed number with the last one that got away! No doubt, my own phone number was even now being displayed to another fish. If carried out for a particular area code and prefix, this reprehensible trick would imply that the call was local. I expect that before long I’ll get an angry response from another innocent person and have to explain all this.*

Probably just as well. Had I gotten through to the miscreants, I’d have probably claimed to be an FBI investigator hot on their trail. Fighting fire with fire ain’t a good idea here, I’ll bet. Anyway, watch out for this!

*This explains why I once got one of these scam calls apparently from myself!

The many-ringed insurance and pharmacy circus of getting a new dosage of medication.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I think that I mentioned here before that I still get occasional pre-recorded phone calls or text messages about repaying my student loan or applying to have it “forgiven.” As I got through all of college without any loans at all, they’re obviously wrong.
    When my wife and I were first married, back in the days when sales phone calls came from actual humans, we got a phone call from our bank. A young man quickly went into a protracted sales pitch for home equity loans. When he finally paused enough for me to say something, I said "I thought you had to actually own a home to get a home equity loan?".

"You don't own the house at <insert address>?"
    "No, we just rent it."
    "Oh......... well, thank you for banking with Bank One".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The many-ringed insurance and pharmacy circus of getting a new dosage of medication.
    Saw something online which summed it up nicely.

Doctor: "You should be on this medicine."

Pharmacy: "We should give you this medicine."

Insurance company: "But should you? Let's ask the doctor."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Doctor: "You should be on this medicine."

Pharmacy: "We should give you this medicine."

Insurance company: "But should you? Let's ask the doctor."
    I am feeling triggered. Time to take my medication, that which I am allowed to have. Ah, all better now. The stories I could tell, but won't.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Add to that, my pharmacy gave me the wrong dosage. I have to wait until Monday to get the right ones.

Add to that, my pharmacy gave me the wrong dosage. I have to wait until Monday to get the right ones.
    AAAAAHHHH I am soooooo triggered, happened to me, aaaaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    AAAAAHHHH I am soooooo triggered, happened to me, aaaaugh
    I both sympathize and empathize.

Frankly, it bothers me that people don't understand why trigger warnings are a thing. It's not just "some people don't want to experience things." It's "there are people with serious trauma who haven't processed it yet and need time before they encounter something that's going to set them off." I know people who are dealing with PTSD who don't want to suddenly come upon stories about the thing that gave them PTSD, and the trigger warning gives them a moment to decide if they need that in their day or not.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Frankly, it bothers me that people don't understand why trigger warnings are a thing. It's not just "some people don't want to experience things." It's "there are people with serious trauma who haven't processed it yet and need time before they encounter something that's going to set them off." I know people who are dealing with PTSD who don't want to suddenly come upon stories about the thing that gave them PTSD, and the trigger warning gives them a moment to decide if they need that in their day or not.
    There have been papers suggesting that trigger warnings are of little use, and may be harmful:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...s-help-or-harm

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=cpxa

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...d-be-abandoned

Basically, the argument is that people with easily triggered PTSD need professional help/counseling to deal with the issue and at best the warnings just let them avoid certain instances but doesn’t resolve the underlying issue. They are going to see triggers even if in some cases warnings were put up relevant to their issue.

My key concern with trigger warnings is the ridiculous extent of their use on the internet and (if claims I have read are true) ludicrous application at some universities. It always struck me as something that might be useful in limited circumstances, but was taken so far as to be nonsensical.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It has been my experience that while I never want to bring up something that will super-upset someone, it is next to impossible to know what will act as a trigger. People are complicated and you just never know what will set someone off. I joke about it though I have encountered things that do gravely upset me, though I can't wear a sign listing everything that I don't want to hear about. If I did I guess it would say "POLITICS" but I'm still going to run into it, no matter what I do. I just try to be calm and not scream every time I want to scream.

A few months back my wife got sick. She saw the doctor and his office called in a prescription at our pharmacy. We have pretty good insurance with drug coverage so it came as a shock when the pharmacist told us she could fill the scrip but insurance didn't cover it and the cost was over $100.

We called the doctor's office and asked if a generic was available. No, that was the generic. But … oh … the doctor had prescribed the (very uncommon and expensive) capsule form instead of the (common and covered for $4) tablets.

(To make the capsules the pharmacist would take the tablets, grind them up, and put the resulting powder in a capsule.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The whole word "triggered" has been watered down and robbed of meaning by pervasive misuse by internet trolls and similar attention seeking individuals ("LOL I triggered U"). Deliberate effect? A side effect? I don't know.

As far as preventing actual triggering, I avoid discussing--in addition to politics--cruelty to children and animals. I will post in the ATM folder all day long before I will do that.

I never understood it until after December of 2012. Now I see people up on roofs and just have to look the other way.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The whole word "triggered" has been watered down and robbed of meaning by pervasive misuse by internet trolls and similar attention seeking individuals ("LOL I triggered U"). Deliberate effect? A side effect? I don't know.
    Like "allergic". I read on "not always right" often enough of people who say they are allergic to X, causing a lot of kerfuffle in the kitchen to prevent cross contamination, and then it turns out they just don't like X.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Back to the topic of prescriptions. As a military retiree I am getting mostly excellent service from my online-order pharmacy under Medicare and Tricare, for modest copayments. There are some bureaucratic quirks. I can opt for automatic refills or renewal requests to my doctor for most of my diabetes prescriptions, including the blood glucose test strips, but I have to personally place the refill order for the lancets, without which the strips are useless. The excuse is that this "medicine" is not approved for automatic refill under the regulations. They have auto-refilled my insulin pens all along, but until recently could not do so with the injection needles that mount on the pen for each shot. That changed a few months ago, even though I can entertain the idea that the needles could be adapted for injecting illicit drugs. I cannot imagine abusing the lancets. To put it mildly, I would say the bureaucrats are doing strange things.

We're having some Drama on the website I'm on, and someone's doing a lot of deleting. Because it turns out her version of events is, shall we say, not an accurate one, and she's gotten called on that.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Like "allergic". I read on "not always right" often enough of people who say they are allergic to X, causing a lot of kerfuffle in the kitchen to prevent cross contamination, and then it turns out they just don't like X.
    Which is a trend that is actively dangerous to the truly allergic, as it encourages wait and kitchen staff to not take such claims seriously anymore. Cry wolf too much, and the actual wolves win.

We're having some Drama on the website I'm on, and someone's doing a lot of deleting. Because it turns out her version of events is, shall we say, not an accurate one, and she's gotten called on that.
    Nothing like Drama on Facebook when you recognize the author of a particularly awful post to be a family member, responding to ANOTHER family member who is being just as awful. And it never stops getting worse. Can't even look at them anymore.

Trying to find a job in an economically depressed area at the old age 43, with no degree or certifiactes, and the only expereince really is with a defunct call center and a part time job moving furniture for an auction company.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Sorry for the outburst but I am a little over tired and was waiting to hear from the auction company. They called I got some work tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    There have been papers suggesting that trigger warnings are of little use, and may be harmful:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...s-help-or-harm

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=cpxa

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...d-be-abandoned

Basically, the argument is that people with easily triggered PTSD need professional help/counseling to deal with the issue and at best the warnings just let them avoid certain instances but doesn’t resolve the underlying issue. They are going to see triggers even if in some cases warnings were put up relevant to their issue.

My key concern with trigger warnings is the ridiculous extent of their use on the internet and (if claims I have read are true) ludicrous application at some universities. It always struck me as something that might be useful in limited circumstances, but was taken so far as to be nonsensical.
    One problem with the research so far is that it hasn't been carried out on people with PTSD--in fact, it may be impossible to design a robust and ethical study of trigger warnings in that group.
    My own experience of people with PTSD is that they're pretty adept at picking up cues from titles, reviews, content advisories and introductory material, and will apply the precautionary principle to anything that looks remotely as if it might be heading in a dangerous direction for them. Social media is a problem, though, because people often post links and images and anecdotes without any of the traditional introductory material.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Sorry for the outburst but I am a little over tired and was waiting to hear from the auction company. They called I got some work tomorrow.
    If you can't complain in this thread, where can you complain?

"You can't erase icing."

There was an accident this morning, not involving me. Well I went to move the car so the plow guy can come and finish the job and I went back in for moment and then a rescue truck came rushing by. Then the plow came and said there was a car around a tree a few houses up, the volunteer fireman weren't there long so it couldn't of have been that bad. But some people drive like maniacs, like driving too fast just after a snow storm.

Someone hacked the Emergency Alert System in my area last night. We got four bogus messages, the first of which declared a statewide radiological emergency. This is the state with the Hanford Nuclear Site in it.

I'm angry not just at the hacker, but at whoever's security was so slack as to let it happen. Probably the cable company.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Someone hacked the Emergency Alert System in my area last night. We got four bogus messages, the first of which declared a statewide radiological emergency. This is the state with the Hanford Nuclear Site in it.

I'm angry not just at the hacker, but at whoever's security was so slack as to let it happen. Probably the cable company.
    At least make it something absurd like Godzilla or zombies so you aren’t actually panicking anyone, hacker.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!