Page 157 of 161 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,710 of 4826

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    All these millionaires and billionaires who are just so concerned that some poor people might get money they didn't "earn".

Don’t go there, please.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

This is really Non-Trivial Things That Disgust Me, so apologies in advance.

My dog keeps his own time. At 5 AM he wants to get up, get a drink, and go outside - even on New Year's Day when I might want to sleep in. (No, that's not disgusting, just frustrating.) So, we get up and go out front so he can do his business and I can get the paper. As I pick it up he goes rigid, full alert. He has spotted a possum wandering in the street and gives a full-throated bark, which the possum ignores. I chuckle and we watch the possum.

I see a car coming down the street and quietly warn the possum to be careful. The car gets closer, speeds up, aims for the possum, and runs it over.

Way to start the new year, you low life cretin. May your year go downhill from here.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This is really Non-Trivial Things That Disgust Me, so apologies in advance.

My dog keeps his own time. At 5 AM he wants to get up, get a drink, and go outside - even on New Year's Day when I might want to sleep in. (No, that's not disgusting, just frustrating.) So, we get up and go out front so he can do his business and I can get the paper. As I pick it up he goes rigid, full alert. He has spotted a possum wandering in the street and gives a full-throated bark, which the possum ignores. I chuckle and we watch the possum.

I see a car coming down the street and quietly warn the possum to be careful. The car gets closer, speeds up, aims for the possum, and runs it over.

Way to start the new year, you low life cretin. May your year go downhill from here.
    That is disgusting.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    That is disgusting.
    More confirmation for my opinion that humans don’t deserve to be the dominant species on this planet.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Goodness knows there are other animals that injure or kill other species for their own amusement.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Cruelty to animals is the sign of a broken soul.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

"Amusement" is not supported by what is known here. Possums are often thought to be disease carriers. Right or wrong, that leads to the corollary that killing one is doing a greater good in the mind of the person who does it, like people who think wolves or snakes should be killed because of the dangers they present.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    "Amusement" is not supported by what is known here. Possums are often thought to be disease carriers. Right or wrong, that leads to the corollary that killing one is doing a greater good in the mind of the person who does it, like people who think wolves or snakes should be killed because of the dangers they present.
    I've never heard a comment from anyone thinking possums are disease carriers, though I'll take your word that you have. I have heard people sometimes think they were rodents and upon seeing one think it was a rat.

Possums are actually extremely useful animals and actually prevent diseases, as they are major consumers of ticks LINK.

I can't know what the person driving the car was thinking, but if I had to guess, it was not that they were doing something for the greater good by killing a harmful animal, but they were getting their jollies by killing something.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My home PC is close to complete failure. I am getting multiple 'blue screens of death' most days - always with different error codes. It is often locked into a beep code at startup and requires numerous power resets to get it going. It seems that it could be the Video Card but the whole machine is coming up to 6 years old so it may be in a terminal decline.

And just to make it better, my Evaporative Air-conditioner, called a 'Swamp Cooler' by some of you, has become a hot air blower. Naturally this has occurred at the hottest time of the year, 36 C today and up to 41C by Friday. And of course getting someone in at this time of year is not easy but they will be coming next Monday. Luckily we have 'Refrigerated' A/C in a couple of rooms so we will survive until then. After all I lived the first half of my life without any A/C at home so I am still better-off.

My wife has had the news on all day and keeps texting me reports. I dont really want to know.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife has had the news on all day and keeps texting me reports. I dont really want to know.
    Yeah, I can understand that. I've had trouble shutting off the news since yesterday actually...
    As above, so below

Our astronomy club was on its annual visit to Wildcat Mountain State Park. 10-day star party campout right near Amish country. So many took a trip to an Amish bakery where pies were being sold for $1. Someone walked in, shoplifted two of them, and took off. Complete disgust.

Yeah, I was having a normal day, then checked the news sometime in the afternoon and got a shock, though not so much of a surprise. Disgusting. Still, I do think there may be a silver lining in this being serious enough to knock some sense into at least some peoples’ heads. I’ve already seen evidence of that.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
    Our astronomy club was on its annual visit to Wildcat Mountain State Park. 10-day star party campout right near Amish country. So many took a trip to an Amish bakery where pies were being sold for $1. Someone walked in, shoplifted two of them, and took off. Complete disgust.
    What a jerk! They were literally one dollar!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yeah, I can understand that. I've had trouble shutting off the news since yesterday actually...
    Same. I made myself a resolution this morning that I'd check in at the Forum first before looking at any news, because I want a more pleasant start to my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Same. I made myself a resolution this morning that I'd check in at the Forum first before looking at any news, because I want a more pleasant start to my day.
    Ain't it? News can wait.
    Solfe

Ain't it? News can wait.
    Didn't see the news until earlier today, sigh.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Didn't see the news until earlier today, sigh.
    Come, take your coat off. Stay at the forum for a while.
    Solfe

Y’all come back now, ya hear?
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Y’all come back now, ya hear?
    Ah, simpler times.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Indeed. My other forum though...
    I think I'll put a couple of the subfora on ignore again over there.

Indeed. My other forum though...
    I think I'll put a couple of the subfora on ignore again over there.
    We need that feature on here.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    We need that feature on here.
    If you go to the forum page there's an "forum tools" item at the top that has "unsubscribe to this forum" as an option. I'm not entirely sure what it does but you could try it.
    You can always just minimize them, as I've done on some I'm not interested in.

If you go to the forum page there's an "forum tools" item at the top that has "unsubscribe to this forum" as an option. I'm not entirely sure what it does but you could try it.
    You can always just minimize them, as I've done on some I'm not interested in.
    It’s not an ignore. I looked into that years ago. I always wanted a thread ignore, the best option I found is to use the “Mark forum read” tool after I have read the threads that interest me. I have a habit of clicking on unread threads, and that helps me. Currently there aren’t any threads here that really annoy me but there sure have been.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I just don't read them.

We're quite a bit past Christmas but the tree is still up. Today was the day we started turning it into a Valentines Tree. My job was to take the angel off the top and add a string of red lights. (Bringing the total to 700!)
    But after I took the angel down I looked inside and discovered that two of the (incandescent) bulbs in the bottom of it had left scorch marks in the plastic ring they mount to. Melted it, even. I'm pretty sure those weren't there when I put it up. We've had the tree lit about 18 hours a day for weeks now. Including when we weren't home. Holy fire hazard, batman!
    All the other lights are LED, as will be whatever new topper we do for next year.

Hmm, I wonder if I can modify that angel to have hands over her eyes....

You made me search for "Valentine's Tree", of which I had (mercifully as it turns out) never heard.
    Saints preserve us. I think I just got diabetes from looking at the pictures.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You made me search for "Valentine's Tree", of which I had (mercifully as it turns out) never heard.
    Saints preserve us. I think I just got diabetes from looking at the pictures.

Grant Hutchison
    I've been an American all my life, and yet I'd never heard of a Valentine's tree either.

I thought we were the only ones!
    One year we had a Christmas tree, Valentines tree, Easter tree, Halloween tree, Thanksgiving tree, and Christmas tree again. It was down from May until October.
    We were going to carry it on after Christmas again but had acquired a couple of kittens and they were a problem with it

"Why is the Fourth of July important? It's the day all your Christmas decorations go from being 'up too late' to being 'up too early'."