Page 134 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4077

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

It has been a bad year. My state lost six lawmen, and now my neighbor had a plumbing problem with that townhome flooding out.

My wife is doing Christmas cards; I'm assigned to seal, return address, and stamp them. One of the names momentarily looked unfamiliar to me and then I remembered. LookingSkyward's widow. Dave was one of the nicest people I ever met, and I miss him here.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Over the last few days someone has stole a Christmas tree from an apartment building and decorations off of someone porch in a nearby city and now stole from a food bank, how Grinchy can you get.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The distribution method for vaccines in the US is a mess.
    Over a year ago, my doctor recommended that Mrs Extravoice and I get the Shingles vaccine. Unfortunately, it was in relatively short supply and the doctor didn't have any. She also said that pharmacies appeared to be prioritized, and we should "call around" to see if we could find it. A handful of calls turned up nothing.

During my most recent physical, the issue came up. Again, the doctor hasn't seen any vaccine and recommended that I call pharmacies.
    A few calls again turned up nothing.

Since I had this past Monday off from work, I decided to delve into the issue.
    I called 11 pharmacies that seemed within driving distance of my house.

The responses included the following:
    • Forget about it...we got nothin'
    • Call back in about a month
    • I'll put you on the waiting list, but there are nearly 100 people ahead of you.
    • Try calling every Friday around noon, it seems to arrive on that day.

Finally, one pharmacy that said "We have some".

So we scurried over to that pharmacy and got the shot.
    Unfortunately, this is a two-dose vaccine, and we have to repeat the process in two-to-six months.
    The pharmacy would not schedule dispensing part 2, nor hold a dose for us at that time.

What a mess.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

If it's the newer vaccine, Shingrix, it may still be a manufacturing rather than a distribution bottleneck. After the CDC recommended it for everyone over 50 in the USA (!) there was something of a stampede. They were certainly unable to meet demand last year.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If it's the newer vaccine, Shingrix, it may still be a manufacturing rather than a distribution bottleneck. After the CDC recommended it for everyone over 50 in the USA (!) there was something of a stampede. They were certainly unable to meet demand last year.

Grant Hutchison
    As an added complication Medicare does not cover the vaccine but our secondary insurance will, with deductibles of course.

Ironically my old Obamacare policy would cover at 100%. As said, itís a mess.

It's been pretty available in my town the past few months. I've had both doses but my wife has only had one. She actually had shingles when I got the first one.

I had a coworker who got shingles several years ago. It is something I don't want to experience first-hand.

On a related note, my son-in-law's younger brother is heading to Kenya for some work-study thingy. He refused to get the recommended vaccinations because (bad judgement).
    I think one reason anti-vax has taken such a hold is that we now have a generation (or more) that has never seen these diseases first hand, or even heard the horrors second-hand, and therefore assume they are no big deal.

Yes, when I was a kid and we had our measles outbreak at school, my friend and I went off sick with measles on pretty much the same day. When I came back to school, I discovered my friend was dead. (And of course I got to reflect on that every time I was off sick with a childhood disease thereafter.)
    But we've had measles vaccination in the UK for fifty years now, so there are now parents and grandparents who got to grow up without that happening to them or anyone they know, and who really do believe that a bit of an itchy rash never did anyone any lasting harm.

Grant Hutchison

Certainly it's the argument people give my friend Ariel--her son survived, right? And they don't listen when she says, yes, but it was certainly possible he wouldn't--he was four months old--and there's still a chance that he won't, as there's a measles-related complication that is still possible even ten years from now. That is lethal. I actually have an aunt who took a vacation some years ago to go faith-healing in Eastern Europe (we don't talk about religion), and she supports vaccination because she still remembers polio.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I had a coworker who got shingles several years ago. It is something I don't want to experience first-hand.
    I can tell you from personal experience that you most certainly do not! I had it 40 years ago; there weren't the antivirals available then. And I got it on my face and scalp. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I can tell you from personal experience that you most certainly do not! I had it 40 years ago; there weren't the antivirals available then. And I got it on my face and scalp. Ugh.
    Yes it is very unpleasant indeed. I had it about 12 years ago. Luckily, I recognised the symptoms so I was able to get treatment early enough to be effective. However, I still had a very unpleasant time with the rash on my face and my eye, luckily not permanently damaged, got very sensitive.

Grant Hutchison
    I got the vaccine earlier this year. For whatever reason I didn't have trouble getting it (my doctor's office had it - maybe because they are affiliated with a large hospital system), the only question was whether my insurance would cover it (they did), though I told my doctor I wanted it even if I had to pay for it out-of-pocket.

I know several people who have had shingles and I don't want it.

I also got the pneumonia vaccine this year and renewed my MMR vaccine, all under the guidance of my physician.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It is interesting that Shingrix is not yet available in Australia and according to the manufacturer there is no timetable for its introduction. Immunisation is available via Zostavax which is a 'live' vaccine unlike Shingrix. I assume that as it is a new vaccine there may be some delay in its availability due to negotiations between the manufacturer and our National Immunisation Program over pricing.

The starter on my van needs to be replaced. I discovered this yesterday . . . at the mall . . . in the pouring rain. I am somewhat amused by the fact that, somehow, AAA had the idea that I was an elderly woman whose caretaker was taking care of things. I think it's because I'd forgotten my cell phone (well, chosen not to bring it, honestly), and I'd asked a friend who owns a store in the mall to call for me, not least because I have a phobia of making cold calls and felt actually having a panic attack wouldn't help the situation.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The starter on my van needs to be replaced. I discovered this yesterday . . . at the mall . . . in the pouring rain.
    I'm kinda surprised it didn't wait until nightfall, too.
    Machines are evil that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFf0ysgNiM

The starter on my van needs to be replaced. I discovered this yesterday . . . at the mall . . . in the pouring rain. I am somewhat amused by the fact that, somehow, AAA had the idea that I was an elderly woman whose caretaker was taking care of things. I think it's because I'd forgotten my cell phone (well, chosen not to bring it, honestly), and I'd asked a friend who owns a store in the mall to call for me, not least because I have a phobia of making cold calls and felt actually having a panic attack wouldn't help the situation.
    Ouch. It must be contagious, because when I was going to go to the store this morning the battery had died in my RAV4. Fortunately the auto parts store is closed for the holiday so I don't have to fix it until tomorrow. And it died in the garage, so far more trivial than your problem.

The battery in our 2017 Edge died a couple of weeks ago. In the driveway. There is no earthly way a normal human being can remove and replace that battery. It is tucked halfway under the engine compartment roof, with only one battery pole (+) accessible for jumps.

I called the shop where I've done business for 25 years. They jump stared it, I drove it there, and they replaced the battery. I was tempted to watch how they did it but … sausage.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The battery in our 2017 Edge died a couple of weeks ago. In the driveway. There is no earthly way a normal human being can remove and replace that battery. It is tucked halfway under the engine compartment roof, with only one battery pole (+) accessible for jumps.

I called the shop where I've done business for 25 years. They jump stared it, I drove it there, and they replaced the battery. I was tempted to watch how they did it but … sausage.
    When I said goodbye to our old Honda CRX, it still had a 10mm wrench down in the radiator shroud; dropped there while I was struggling to change the battery and unrecoverable. It'll be interesting to see what the RAV looks like. I'm not sure I've ever actually had the hood up.

It was nightfall by the time the guy got to it, I can tell you that. But I'd planned to be home by nightfall!

Meanwhile, last night, I had to take Simon to the ER for a recurring minor medical problem. Minor, but leaving him literally jumping up and down and screaming in pain when it hits. We got there around 10:30 PM and home around 5:30 AM. I really wish his insurance plan were accepted at the closer hospital in our town, because you get out far faster and feels a lot more as though the staff actually wants you to.

"You can't erase icing."

Meanwhile, last night, I had to take Simon to the ER for a recurring minor medical problem. Minor, but leaving him literally jumping up and down and screaming in pain when it hits. We got there around 10:30 PM and home around 5:30 AM. I really wish his insurance plan were accepted at the closer hospital in our town, because you get out far faster and feels a lot more as though the staff actually wants you to.
    Sorry for both you and Simon. Hope he gets better soon.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

After a talk with the ER doc and a bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that he probably has the same medical problem that Louis XVI had, and if it caused him the same discomfort it does Simon, I have a great deal of sympathy for him on that score.

"You can't erase icing."

After a talk with the ER doc and a bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that he probably has the same medical problem that Louis XVI had, and if it caused him the same discomfort it does Simon, I have a great deal of sympathy for him on that score.
    And for the fact that poor Louis didn't have the option of anaesthesia while he underwent the proposed solution to his problem.

Grant Hutchison

I had to look that up. Ouch.

And for the fact that poor Louis didn't have the option of anaesthesia while he underwent the proposed solution to his problem.
    Indeed. I'm not thrilled at the idea of putting a six-year-old under general anesthesia, which is why we're looking into the non-surgical option first, but at least he has any anesthesia as an option at all.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I had to look that up. Ouch.
    Ditto, better to do it now than 20, just trust me on this.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That's probably fine when it's that car which needs jumping, as you're only supposed to use one pole on the dead battery anyway (the black jumper cable would be connected to plain unpainted metal).

But it'd be difficult to jump start another car from your Edge, without being able to get to the negative terminal on it.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    But it'd be difficult to jump start another car from your Edge, without being able to get to the negative terminal on it.
    I donít see the problem. Just use the chassis of both vehicles as negative terminals.

My new(er) vehicle actually has a ground lug in the engine compartment with a nice big arrow for jump starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I donít see the problem. Just use the chassis of both vehicles as negative terminals.

My new(er) vehicle actually has a ground lug in the engine compartment with a nice big arrow for jump starting.
    Every thing I've read about jump-starting a car says to use the positive terminal* and unpainted metal on the vehicle with the dead battery, but to use both terminals on the vehicle with the good battery. I don't know enough to say why that is, or if it would work as well (or work at all) if you only used one terminal on each battery, however.

*Actually, they say you should check your manual. Apparently, the electrical system on some vehicles is wired such that you are supposed to use the negative terminal and unpainted metal.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn