Page 140 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 4427

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

My employer (large IT company) said last week, work from home if you can.
    I got permission to do that from the client I'm working at (large bank).
    Yesterday the Government put the country on alert level 2 (of 4) where one aspect is: work from home if you can.
    But today (it's Sunday here) the client has sent a couple of emails (to everyone) saying come to the office unless you're in an at-risk category or are needed to care for someone. "Hey, we have lots of hand sanitiser".
    I've got tomorrow off on leave anyway; but I suspect there'll be carnage - several co-workers have been posting that they're staying home as per Govt guidance.
    (A group of Doctors is pushing for the Govt to go to level 3 now (where stay away from work becomes mandatory).)
    Interesting times.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    (A group of Doctors is pushing for the Govt to go to level 3 now (where stay away from work becomes mandatory).)
    I would bet on it going to that within days. My state’s governor upped things from one day to the next, and that has been the pattern in general. Ditto with some companies showing reluctance, but eventually accepting what they need to do.

Interesting times.
    Yeah. I mention every now and then my science fiction moments, where I see or do something that makes it feel like I have stepped into a science fiction story. I give voice commands now just like on Star Trek, I have a tablet that I use to read books, watch tv and movies, listen to the radio, and interact with the world net. I watch a billionaire attempting to build interplanetary rockets. That’s all cool, but I could do without the pandemic experience (another science fiction staple).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Actually sad I was just sent home from work to wait it out. Loved my job.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I have no idea how the closing is going on our new house, but I'm assured it will be. I'm also not sure how we're going to deal with moving, but we'll figure it out. I am done with this apartment.
    I've never done an in-person closing with the other party (seller or buyer as appropriate), but only with the agent, and that goes back almost 30 years. It has always been just my wife and I with the title agent.

On the other hand, i don't know how one does moving under these circumstances.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The guy we're buying the house from is something like eighty, too, so I hope he's interacting with as few people as possible.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I would bet on it going to that within days. ...
    Yep, they just put us on level 3, and in 48 hours that goes to level 4.

Whole country on lock down, except supermarkets and such.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

People just moved into the apartment upstairs from us recently. At 4:30 this morning, they had an extremely loud fight, the kind that a) woke up both me and Graham and b) had us wondering if we should be calling the cops. At least they won't be our upstairs neighbours for long?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I started telecommuting on Friday and the differences between my home internet performance and the agency network (via VPN) are stark. My provider's speed test shows that my home connection is 53 times faster than the VPN upload speed of 3.8 Mbps. I know VPN trades bandwidth for security but c'mon. You're killing me, Smalls. Most annoying is that my web-based budget system...one of my core job functions...won't load at all.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

For a perhaps a year, I've been watching and enjoying a YouTube channel by a Canadian guy who does tool teardowns and other funny stuff. I'm not even going to name him now, because:
    He's now posted a couple of videos (at least) making light of the Covid-19 problem. I'm over seventy, and my wife is as old with multiple underlying conditions. To hell with you, Canadian guy.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Well I knew was wearing my welcome a little thin but that is a bit harsh. I am asthmatic I really don't want to catch the virus.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Well I knew was wearing my welcome a little thin but that is a bit harsh. I am asthmatic I really don't want to catch the virus.
    Not you, of course! This someone from eastern BC.

Just kidding Trebuchet.

With just over 100 km of where I live there are 3 or 4 pulp and paper mills, I don't what exactly each one produces and there are still trees the virus didn't effect them. Us we got a 36 pack about a week before the buying frenzy so we are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I started telecommuting on Friday and the differences between my home internet performance and the agency network (via VPN) are stark. My provider's speed test shows that my home connection is 53 times faster than the VPN upload speed of 3.8 Mbps. I know VPN trades bandwidth for security but c'mon. You're killing me, Smalls. Most annoying is that my web-based budget system...one of my core job functions...won't load at all.
    In normal times our work VPN isn't too bad, don't notice any real significant speed loss. But the last week or two I've notice periods where it gets noticeably slower and sometimes crashes (or crashes a file or a program running across it), I assume because of the huge increase in traffic (the corporation I work for has tens of thousands of employees in North America... must be a lot working from home).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yep, responsible designers will consider normal traffic requirements and then add some reasonable level of extra capacity for heavy loads and emergency contingencies, but this likely goes well beyond whatever they had planned for.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well, it doesn’t annoy me as much as my neighbor. Somebody in a truck snagged the FiOS cable to his house.
    His place of employment closed, and told him to try to work from home. Upon arrival, he found the broken cable laying across his driveway.
    So much for working from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

With the entire West Coast under lockdown this week, not to mention several other places, internet's going to be very laggy. A friend already suggested it was something sinister, though he quickly agreed when it was pointed out how much heavier the load was right now.

"You can't erase icing."

Cats. Cats annoy me. Even the cute ones I pick up and carry around, scratching behind the ears. Annoyances.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Our daughter teaches kindergarten at a private school/daycare center. When he public school districts closed her school stayed open. Now most of the kids have been pulled so they will shut down. Meaning she is unemployed until things get back to some semblance of normal.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The big state park in my town is now closed due to idiots behaving badly over the weekend. Now we can't even drive around.

Fatbergs in the town's sewers. With everyone frequently wiping things down, and many using "flushable" wipes and heavy duty paper towels, and then flushing these down the toilet, my little town's managers felt compelled to post a notice on every household's front door explaining the problem and asking them to please use the regular garbage for these items...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The big state park in my town is now closed due to idiots behaving badly over the weekend. Now we can't even drive around.
    That sucks, J. and I were at our area’s big state park over the weekend and had a great walk on the beach. What did they do?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Wish I could let you guys wonder around our woodlots the one behind my house and the other about 4 km further out. Yes idiots can ruin things for a lot of people.
    Here is a few pics from yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/status/1242197199125168129
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2020-Mar-26 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That sucks, J. and I were at our area’s big state park over the weekend and had a great walk on the beach. What did they do?
    Hanging around in groups, apparently. Maybe harassing older people? That was happening downtown. Walk up behind an old person and cough loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Fatbergs in the town's sewers. With everyone frequently wiping things down, and many using "flushable" wipes and heavy duty paper towels, and then flushing these down the toilet, my little town's managers felt compelled to post a notice on every household's front door explaining the problem and asking them to please use the regular garbage for these items...
    I got an e-mail from our county on the subject.

Our landlord posted a very pointed notice on every door yesterday to announce that, despite the near-total lack of services right now, rent is still due as usual on the first, no excuses. And, no, they don't take cash now, either, so you'd better figure out a way to get a cashier's check or what have you even if your bank is closed.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hanging around in groups, apparently. Maybe harassing older people? That was happening downtown. Walk up behind an old person and cough loudly.
    Now it looks like ALL the parks are closed. So it may not have been behavior at the local one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our daughter teaches kindergarten at a private school/daycare center. When he public school districts closed her school stayed open. Now most of the kids have been pulled so they will shut down. Meaning she is unemployed until things get back to some semblance of normal.
    The owners decided to stay open for at least a while (several First Responders have kids there) so our daughter is still working … and carrying a letter that explains she is "essential personnel."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My sister's kids usually stay with their father (sister's ex) every other weekend. But the ex's girlfriend has just found out she'd been exposed to someone testing positive for Covid-19. So now they can't visit their father for a few weeks.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2020-Mar-28 at 11:45 AM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Paperwork on our house has been delayed. We don't move until at least Tuesday and probably later than that.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Paperwork on our house has been delayed. We don't move until at least Tuesday and probably later than that.
    That’s disappointing, but hopefully a short-lived hiccup in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa