Page 139 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 4436

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

There's a little girl in our apartment complex who's a grade behind Simon. Her mom and I will routinely get one another's kids off the bus if one or the other of us isn't at the stop in time. Which is fine. And I've told her that I'll take care of the kid while school's out next week, since her mom's school doesn't get canceled for another week, because she doesn't have other childcare arrangements. Unfortunately, she has a tendency to take advantage of our generosity--twice this week, she's picked up her daughter well after Simon's bedtime, once not getting home until well after nine on a school night and last night not getting here until 11:30. She'd responded to a text around eight saying she'd be here around nine. I feel for the kid, and certainly we wouldn't kick a kindergartner out, but I was very firm at her mom last night about how this isn't okay. And school's going to be canceled for six weeks here, and I'm simply not putting up with this. Not that we're likely to still be here in six weeks, not that we really know what's going on with our move.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There's a little girl in our apartment complex who's a grade behind Simon. Her mom and I will routinely get one another's kids off the bus if one or the other of us isn't at the stop in time. Which is fine. And I've told her that I'll take care of the kid while school's out next week, since her mom's school doesn't get canceled for another week, because she doesn't have other childcare arrangements. Unfortunately, she has a tendency to take advantage of our generosity--twice this week, she's picked up her daughter well after Simon's bedtime, once not getting home until well after nine on a school night and last night not getting here until 11:30. She'd responded to a text around eight saying she'd be here around nine. I feel for the kid, and certainly we wouldn't kick a kindergartner out, but I was very firm at her mom last night about how this isn't okay. And school's going to be canceled for six weeks here, and I'm simply not putting up with this. Not that we're likely to still be here in six weeks, not that we really know what's going on with our move.
    You'll be amazed how long it can take to buy a house. Faxes will be involved. I don't think anyone else still uses them.
    My niece and her husband are both teachers. They're trying to figure out how to do it on the internet.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My in laws were placed into a nursing home this week. My FIL for rehab and then transition to memory care, and my MIL straight to memory care with some significant medication.

We drove down to see them and process paperwork and a lot of other steps. We saw them on Thursday and a short while on Friday. And now all nursing homes are in lockdown. No visitors except for emergencies or dying patients.

*sigh*

And I doubt they understand why we havenít been back.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    My in laws were placed into a nursing home this week. My FIL for rehab and then transition to memory care, and my MIL straight to memory care with some significant medication.

We drove down to see them and process paperwork and a lot of other steps. We saw them on Thursday and a short while on Friday. And now all nursing homes are in lockdown. No visitors except for emergencies or dying patients.

*sigh*

And I doubt they understand why we haven’t been back.
    Phone or video call? My mother's care home closed to visitors last week, and has been setting up video call facilities this week.

Grant Hutchison

Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Itís an option we may try soon. Weíll need to impose on one of the staff since neither parent has a cellphone, let alone a smart phone. I donít know if the nursing home will create a portable video kit to take into rooms. And honestly this may only be an option for my FIL who has Alzheimerís but can still recognize some people. We think. My MILís dementia is severe in a different way. Crying out for help, just crying for her mother (long deceased), inability to speak coherent phrases or carry on a dialog. Very sad and a little scary for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post

*sigh*

And I doubt they understand why we havenít been back.
    Wow. That's really bad. I was so glad we were able to keep my parents in their own home for their last years and my mother-in-law with us.
    Also, what Grant said. Do what you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    But surely they don't use toilet paper in that universe as I have certainly never seen a toilet in any Star Trek show. I assumed they just "beamed" it away.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    But surely they don't use toilet paper in that universe as I have certainly never seen a toilet in any Star Trek show. I assumed they just "beamed" it away.
    I canít speak to the toilet paper issue but as I recall my 1975 set of Franz Joseph Enterprise blueprints, there was a bathroom adjacent to the bridge. Go through the secondary exit (a door seldom...if ever...seen on screen during TOS) just to the left of the main view screen and hang a quick left. The plans showed the architectural symbols for conventional toilets throughout the ship. The plans were a product of the Ď70s after all.

I donít recall a note about it employing transporter technology, though. While I think a ďsonic bidetĒ would be a likely option, I donít think the similar sonic shower was mentioned in canon until the first motion picture. Of course, onscreen mention was made in the TNG series of the shipís biomatter being reclaimed for use by replicators. How do you like your steak?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I canít speak to the toilet paper issue but as I recall my 1975 set of Franz Joseph Enterprise blueprints, there was a bathroom adjacent to the bridge.
    And there was a starship Adolf Hitler, Enterprise class, in the book they produced. This was the reason I got rid of what would later become a super-rare book, could have made big $$$ off it, but don't care. Really bummed.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've seen somewhere that "kleenex" is a bit stronger or something and shouldn't be flushed into the septic tank.
    So say the folks who pump my septic system every year or two. Toilet paper is formulated make it easier but septic tank flora have trouble breaking down cellulose. I even try to limit the amount of food that goes down the kitchen disposal...and no eggshells.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I can’t speak to the toilet paper issue but as I recall my 1975 set of Franz Joseph Enterprise blueprints, there was a bathroom adjacent to the bridge. Go through the secondary exit (a door seldom...if ever...seen on screen during TOS) just to the left of the main view screen and hang a quick left. The plans showed the architectural symbols for conventional toilets throughout the ship. The plans were a product of the ‘70s after all.

I don’t recall a note about it employing transporter technology, though. While I think a “sonic bidet” would be a likely option, I don’t think the similar sonic shower was mentioned in canon until the first motion picture. Of course, onscreen mention was made in the TNG series of the ship’s biomatter being reclaimed for use by replicators. How do you like your steak?
    Your reply left me mystified as to why the Federation would name a starship after the second last Austro-Hungarian Emperor. Looking up the reference and finding that it referred to an artist made me realise that I am obviously nowhere near a proper fan The only artistic "endeavour" I knew of using that name was the "Kaiser Franz Josef" band from Germany.

Ooh recycled steak - lovely. I have to admit that I assumed that they carried special "matter" for the replicators but that is obviously silly when you are in a closed system.

I have to admit that I assumed that they carried special "matter" for the replicators but that is obviously silly when you are in a closed system.
    Is it a closed system? They have transporters.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

All I have heard is that they have waste extraction, I don't think they mention how. But I guess they are still out hand sanitizer.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Is it a closed system? They have transporters.
    I think it would still be a closed system for most of the time when then they are in interstellar space. I am now wondering, could the air inside the ship be replicated?

I'll bet that the tribbles get nervous when the crew's TP runs out.

I think it would still be a closed system for most of the time when then they are in interstellar space. I am now wondering, could the air inside the ship be replicated?
    There have been plenty of eps where the replicators fail but life support still works, and vice versa.

On Babylon 5 they showed UV hand cleaners in the men's room. How they prevented sunburn I don't know, I assume the "plot shield" that protects Main Characters had something to do with it...

Check at about 0:45.

First confirmed CV19 death in Indiana, and it's in my county. Old man with respiratory problems, had visited Mexico recently. The emergency workers who responded to his 911 call are all in quarantine.

Buying plane tickets for Denmark 2 years in a row and not being able to go, nor to get a refurnd, 2 years in a row... And maybe there will be more money lost on holiday arrangements we've already made for the summer.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Weíre in the process of purchasing a lot of land near my daughterís house one state over (about 2 hours from here) in speculation of building a house for retirement.
    That stateís governor has ordered all nonessential businesses to be closed.
    Meanwhile, both my spouse and I have been ordered to work from home and avoid as much outside contact as possible.

Yesterday, the sellerís agent contacted me to schedule the closing next week. Thatís the meeting where a bunch of people you donít know sit together sharing pens and papers.

How about ďnoĒ?

Today, they offered to do it via FedEx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2020-Mar-19 at 09:52 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Having sympathy pains for all the service sector and gig workers.... now non-workers. And for all those who had graduations or weddings coming up in the next months.

That reminds George Hrab a skeptical musician is having an online concert on facebook starting in about a hour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That reminds George Hrab a skeptical musician is having an online concert on facebook starting in about a hour.
    oops say eastern standard time, which means another hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And for all those who had graduations or weddings coming up in the next months.
    And funerals.

Grant Hutchison

The only thing that's still going forward in my businesses is paying the loans back.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    We’re in the process of purchasing a lot of land near my daughter’s house one state over (about 2 hours from here) in speculation of building a house for retirement.
    I have no idea how the closing is going on our new house, but I'm assured it will be. I'm also not sure how we're going to deal with moving, but we'll figure it out. I am done with this apartment.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I have no idea how the closing is going on our new house, but I'm assured it will be. I'm also not sure how we're going to deal with moving, but we'll figure it out. I am done with this apartment.
    I hope it all goes well for you. You have far more on the line than we do.

The title company offered to email us the paperwork, followed by our FedEx-ing it back signed. Unfortunately, our bank went all-drive-up today. Initiating a wire transfer will be problematic. We requested a delay in the closing, and offered to increase the deposit as a show of good faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Gamestop, a computer game company, has finally agreed to close stores in California, but had to be pretty much shamed into it after declaring themselves to be an "essential" business.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I hope it all goes well for you. You have far more on the line than we do.
    Well, I'll be talking about it in another thread, but it's been moved up to the thirtieth.

"You can't erase icing."