Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133 LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 3970

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Sorry to hear it Trebuchet hoe she gets better soon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My poor wife has shingles. It's an awful condition, which she didn't need along with all her other health issues. We hadn't had the new vaccine because supplies were very short. It's just become more available so I got the shot today, but it's too late for her.
    My sympathies to her. I had a dose about 12 years ago. Luckily I recognised what it was as I had seen my father's symptoms and was able to get the vaccine in time and only suffered a few bad days.When I had my attack you basically had to get the vaccine within 3 or 4 days of the start of the attack or else it was ineffective - I assume that this must still be the same.

Oh, no. That's awful for her; give her our sympathies.

Simon would be more eloquent, but I'm interrupting his TV watching, and how dare I even though he's seen this show literally dozens of times? I don't like the show at the best of times, but this episode is particularly awful, bordering on the non-trivial, because it emphasizes that the Moon only comes out at night. Bad enough that it's teaching that wishes are the solution to problems (rather than, on another episode this morning), just unlocking a door, a character uses a magic wish to get someone off the balcony where they've accidentally locked themselves.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Sort of trivial, but....

About 4:00AM our smoke detectors gave us a false alarm. Loud whistling accompanied by a female voice saying "Fire! Fire!". I checked, found nothing, and in a few minutes it stopped.

Non-trivial because a) my reaction was to run around the house in my underwear, instead of first grabbing the extinguisher or any number of other things;
    and b) the cats immediately went and hid. We wouldn't have been able to rescue them had there been an actual fire.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Sort of trivial, but....

About 4:00AM our smoke detectors gave us a false alarm. Loud whistling accompanied by a female voice saying "Fire! Fire!". I checked, found nothing, and in a few minutes it stopped.

Non-trivial because a) my reaction was to run around the house in my underwear, instead of first grabbing the extinguisher or any number of other things;
    and b) the cats immediately went and hid. We wouldn't have been able to rescue them had there been an actual fire.
    Our cats do the same for any such sound: smoke detectors, door bell, sirens, sometimes even the phone ringing. They go and run and hide in the basement. Might be a bad idea for a fire, but a good idea for a tornado, so I call it even.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This morning I walked outside after doing the dishes and then heard water running. I wondered why my wife was using the tap and looked into the kitchen but she was not there. In reality the flexible water supply hose on the sink tap had split and was rapidly filling up the under-sink cabinet. So it was a panicked rush to turn off the water at the meter and then bail out the cupboard and mop up the floor..

We have a large ceramic 'Double Butler' sink and the only way to get at the tap is to remove the sink. So I ended up with the sink on the floor and then decided that the tap as a whole needed replacing. After searching 4 shops we got a new one that we both liked and I then had to fit it. Naturally, the new tap had different style fittings which required me to cut out a piece of the cupboard. While I was doing this I managed to drop a chisel onto my bare foot. So I now have a nice big bandage on the top of that foot.

Anyway the sink is back in, nothing is leaking and tomorrow I just need to apply gap sealant to finish the job. While it has been a hectic day it could have been much worse. We have only been back for 10 days after a month overseas. If the hose had failed while we were away we would have had a nice indoor swimming pool. We had a house sitter but she was only here part of the time so the hose could have poured out water for 5 or 6 days before it was discovered.

It is 8:03 AM my time, and I've already had to send an e-mail of complaint. Bad enough that my kid's bus was five minutes early this morning, but even worse, he apparently told one of the other parents that he was on time. I'm dreadfully afraid this is like my mom's father, who kept his watch five minutes early and expected us all to be on time to his watch. The new guy's also apparently yelled at the kids for talking at all, and one of the kindergartners is already, on the guy's third day of work, on second notice that he's going to get expelled from the bus. My understanding is that the kid has a hard time staying in his seat, and when Simon had that issue last year, they put him in a booster seat, buckled in more securely, and it fixed the problem.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Geez, that sucks. I have little sympathy for an adult throwing his weight around with little kids.

In the stuff I don't get department, I've never understood why school buses can't have seat belts.

In the stuff I don't get department, I've never understood why school buses can't have seat belts.
    Especially with younger kids, it makes it too hard to get everybody off the bus in the event of a fire, etc. They basically decided the likelihood of a situation in which inability to get the kids off the bus caused a problem was greater than the likelihood of a situation in which the kids not being buckled in caused a problem (school buses are pretty massive, and usually travel at a relatively low speed, so the risk of a sudden inertial shift is less likely than in a small car, for example).

I don't know if they're right or not, but I'm pretty sure that's the logic used.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Especially with younger kids, it makes it too hard to get everybody off the bus in the event of a fire, etc. They basically decided the likelihood of a situation in which inability to get the kids off the bus caused a problem was greater than the likelihood of a situation in which the kids not being buckled in caused a problem (school buses are pretty massive, and usually travel at a relatively low speed, so the risk of a sudden inertial shift is less likely than in a small car, for example).

I don't know if they're right or not, but I'm pretty sure that's the logic used.
    It would add some cost, but I'm sure that in this age, it would be technically feasible to have a button in the driver's compartment that automatically releases all the seat belts. I guess it would be a cost issue then.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It would add some cost, but I'm sure that in this age, it would be technically feasible to have a button in the driver's compartment that automatically releases all the seat belts. I guess it would be a cost issue then.
    And possibly concern with the reliability (especially in the event of a crash or fire) of that function.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Unless the mechanism failed (in the crash, during the fire, etc.) such that kids couldn't even release themselves from a locked belt.

I don't mean to be nit-picky. When it comes to children's safety, imaginations can run wild. "What if...what if...what if!!!"

Also, I'm not excusing this bus driver who needs Anger Management Training, but being put in charge of other people's children is very low on my list of desired positions.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    And possibly concern with the reliability (especially in the event of a crash or fire) of that function.
    Sure, I understand that. If there is a chance that the mechanism could fail and the kids could get stuck, then it would be better not to have seat belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Unless the mechanism failed (in the crash, during the fire, etc.) such that kids couldn't even release themselves from a locked belt.
    Absolutely. You definitely would not want to open that possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It is 8:03 AM my time, and I've already had to send an e-mail of complaint. Bad enough that my kid's bus was five minutes early this morning, but even worse, he apparently told one of the other parents that he was on time. I'm dreadfully afraid this is like my mom's father, who kept his watch five minutes early and expected us all to be on time to his watch. The new guy's also apparently yelled at the kids for talking at all, and one of the kindergartners is already, on the guy's third day of work, on second notice that he's going to get expelled from the bus. My understanding is that the kid has a hard time staying in his seat, and when Simon had that issue last year, they put him in a booster seat, buckled in more securely, and it fixed the problem.
    In a properly operated passenger transportation service, a bus or train never departs from a station or a stop before the announced time. Of course it is prudent for passengers to give themselves a cushion by arriving a few minutes ahead.

Some do. It is a state/local decision in the US

NY Times
    Seatbelts are required in some cases, but not all. Smaller school buses — weighing 10,000 pounds or less — are required to have lap-shoulder belts under federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Larger buses may also be required to have seatbelts, depending on where you live. Eight states — Arkansas, California, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and Texas — have passed legislation requiring that seatbelts be installed on school buses, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. But in some cases, it is required only if funding is provided by the state or school districts. There are two kinds of seatbelts on school buses: the older lap belts and the newer lap-shoulder belts that are generally considered safer.

There is growing interest among states in requiring seatbelts on school buses. In 2017, at least 29 states introduced bills to address the issue, according to the conference.

Ours does, I'm pretty sure, but it doesn't have five-point harness booster seats, which are available when it's considered necessary. Which is what I wrote in and suggested for this kid. I did get a response to my e-mail saying they were aware of some of the issues on our route, that it was a new driver, and that they were looking into it. This morning, the bus was maybe a minute or two early--but all three kids who ride in the morning were there, for once--and there was an aide on the bus. The phone call I got in response (which I missed, because I was outside waiting for the forty-minute-late school bus and hadn't brought my phone) assured me that they have no intention of kicking a kindergartner off the bus if they can avoid it.

"You can't erase icing."

So I ordered pizza for dinner last night, online. The WifeTM suggested we order from not our usual place but from one that was donating that day's proceeds to charity. I don't want to cause problems or get in trouble so I'll just call them ... oh ... Mama Jean's.

I placed the order, which cost about twice what our usual place charges, and opened the tracking app. It told me the pizza would be delivered in 90-100 minutes! That being a bit longish, we decided to cancel. There is no way to cancel a placed order online. And the store's phone number was not displayed. So we resolved to wait it out. The tracking app said the pizza was "Making."

Thirty minutes later it was still making. I Googled the store and got the phone number. I called and got a busy signal. I called another nine times and got a busy signal. On call 11 it started ringing. And rang for 2 minutes before disconnecting. I tried twice more with the same result. So we resolved to wait it out. The tracking app said the pizza was "Making."

After 110 minutes the pizza still had not arrived. I tried the number again and on the second attempt got a human being. He checked my order and confirmed that it was in the "Making" line and should be delivered in one to two hours. I cancelled the order.

Yes, I filed a complaint online. I expect to hear back from them ... well, never.

Which is about when I'll order from them again.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'm not fond of that particular chain for other reasons, but yeah--I'm pretty sure our local place is more expensive, but also it's considerably better pizza.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So I ordered pizza for dinner last night, online. The WifeTM suggested we order from not our usual place but from one that was donating that day's proceeds to charity. I don't want to cause problems or get in trouble so I'll just call them ... oh ... Mama Jean's.
    There's your problem. They got slammed with orders.

I've never actually heard of the chain before.

I still remember the good old days. "The customer is always right."
    The companies figured that one complaint represented many potential complainers, and so it weighed heavier than a dozen compliments. They'd knock themselves out to win back your favor.
    It seems that ended circa A.D. 2000. Suddenly you'd get no response or have it laughed off.
    Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I still remember the good old days. "The customer is always right."
    The companies figured that one complaint represented many potential complainers, and so it weighed heavier than a dozen compliments. They'd knock themselves out to win back your favor.
    It seems that ended circa A.D. 2000. Suddenly you'd get no response or have it laughed off.
    Sad.
    Once again, in my fantasy daydreaming I exile their management people to our worst enemy and turn bulldozers loose on the business schools that trained them.

Anyone who thinks the customer is always right hasn't dealt with many customers.

"You can't erase icing."

One of the original Mouseketeers, Karen Pendleton, has died https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/a...d=277638681010 . She seemed to have been an admirable person. who did fine work after she was paralyzed from the waist down in an auto accident -"After the accident, she became an advocate for disability rights — she served on the board of the California Association of the Physically Handicapped — and worked as a counselor at a shelter for abused women.

I didn't post this in the "Small Media at Large" forum as the Mickey Mouse Club was the only media work she ever did. It is just a reminder to me of time long ago as a small child in the early 1960's and watching the Mickey Mouse Club on our glorious 26" B & W TV. Another link with my shared past gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    One of the original Mouseketeers, Karen Pendleton ... a reminder to me of time long ago as a small child in the early 1960's and watching the Mickey Mouse Club on our glorious 26" B & W TV. Another link with my shared past gone.
    Ditto, but late 50s. Very fond memories.

Thank you, Karen.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

M I C (see you real soon)
    K E Y (why, because we love you)
    M O U S E

Yep, the Mickey Mouse Club (also on glorious black & white) was part of my childhood.
    Last edited by Swift; 2019-Oct-11 at 03:25 PM.

Not of mine. We only got one channel when I was a kid, and The Mickey Mouse Club wasn't on it. When we visited relatives that got it, I always found it kind of boring.
    We didn't get Howdy Doody or Leave it to Beaver, either. I had quite the deprived childhood.

Not of mine. We only got one channel when I was a kid, and The Mickey Mouse Club wasn't on it. When we visited relatives that got it, I always found it kind of boring.
    We didn't get Howdy Doody or Leave it to Beaver, either. I had quite the deprived childhood.
    We had a TV for about three months during my first five years of life, during which I was subjected to the mind-altering onslaught of the BBC's Watch With Mother cycle: Picture Book; Andy Pandy; The Flower Pot Men; Rag, Tag and Bobtail; The Woodentops. Apart from Picture Book, in which a lady with an impenetrable accent urged me to make things I had no hope of making, the whole experience consisted of unidentifiable puppets with unfathomable motives doing incomprehensible things. I was quite relieved when it was all over and the TV went back to the rental company. (I actually still get a little flicker of anxiety when I contemplate Rag, Tag and Bobtail, in particular.)

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We had a TV for about three months during my first five years of life, during which I was subjected to the mind-altering onslaught of the BBC's Watch With Mother cycle: Picture Book; Andy Pandy; The Flower Pot Men; Rag, Tag and Bobtail; The Woodentops. Apart from Picture Book, in which a lady with an impenetrable accent urged me to make things I had no hope of making, the whole experience consisted of unidentifiable puppets with unfathomable motives doing incomprehensible things. I was quite relieved when it was all over and the TV went back to the rental company. (I actually still get a little flicker of anxiety when I contemplate Rag, Tag and Bobtail, in particular.)

Grant Hutchison
    The flower pot men with little weed were ahead of their time but Andy Pandy was the stuff of nightmares. I think my sisters actually had a Muffin the Mule as a string puppet, always tangled as a grotesque, I never saw any point in Rag Tag and Bobtail, but Sylvia Peters was nice. Nice in an old fashioned way, that is.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Today, while delivering Meals on Wheels, I encountered yet another street "improvement" which resulted in streets with curbs too close together for two-way traffic and parking on both sides, which nevertheless were permitted. This was just before noon near a mosque, and the streets were clogged with overflow parking from the Friday noon worship service. The same thing happens around Christian churches in the area on Sunday.