Page 146 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 4447

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I was fortunate in that I usually stock-up on bulky items like toilet paper in the autumn, buying enough to get me through the winter, and I haven't had to buy any during this situation. I have plenty of space to store it, out of sight, in my house.

The reason for stocking-up is that I really don't like to fire up the pickup truck in the dead of winter just to buy groceries or other household items that I can easily carry home if I include the grocery store in my daily walk. But I don't like packing that bulky stuff, hence the autumn purchase, and only when it's on sale.

But I've been annoyed at my inability to find certain baking supplies that I'm now starting to run low on. Suddenly everyone wants to bake, but I can't blame them for it,

Agreed. I was surprised yesterday to find arts and crafts supplies were cleaned out at a local store. Fabric, ribbon, inexpensive paint. I know that people are trying to keep busy at home (or keep their kids busy at home) but there was more toilet paper at the store than there were buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    ... Suddenly everyone wants to bake, but I can't blame them for it,
    My wife is one of them. She told me what she wants as a Mother's Day present, a Cuisinart bread maker. I looked online but everyone said they were out of stock. I finally found a site that offered one for a good price, for delivery by July 30-31.

Seems they're made in China and there's been some sort of issue there that affected the production line.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

It's been something like five days since I place an order at our local fabric store for curbside pick-up. It's still, it seems, not ready. And I had to buy elastic elsewhere--I'm not even buying the 1/4" elastic used for masks; I'm buying 1/2" elastic for waistbands. I found an online store that would sell me a twenty-yard box, which is admittedly more than I need to finish up the various elastic-needing projects in my house but, you know, it's not like it's going to go bad. We've still got plenty of toilet paper, plenty of flour, and plenty of various other things that are selling out, but I now had to e-mail customer service at the fabric store and find out if the coupons and sales that applied to my order when I ordered it are going to apply by the time it's actually ready. I assume so, but this is frustrating. I feel sorry for the store employees, though, because while I have no intention of taking my frustration out on them when I finally pick it up, I'd imagine a lot of other people aren't so inclined.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's been something like five days since I place an order at our local fabric store for curbside pick-up. ...
    I placed an order at the nearby Lowe's and it was ready for pickup in about an hour. When I got to the store they had several parking spots designated for curbside pickup. I pulled into one and saw they had a sign with instructions. "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx extension #4104." Except calling the phone number gave me an automated menu of choices, none of which was "Dial your party's extension." As soon as I punched 4 I was transferred to Appliances. I tried 0 for an associate … three times … no one ever picked up. I finally had to go inside.

Good idea poorly executed. I figure the person who wrote the sign didn't actually try it. They were used to dialing an extension on a store phone.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I placed an order at the nearby Lowe's and it was ready for pickup in about an hour. When I got to the store they had several parking spots designated for curbside pickup. I pulled into one and saw they had a sign with instructions. "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx extension #4104." Except calling the phone number gave me an automated menu of choices, none of which was "Dial your party's extension." As soon as I punched 4 I was transferred to Appliances. I tried 0 for an associate … three times … no one ever picked up. I finally had to go inside.

Good idea poorly executed. I figure the person who wrote the sign didn't actually try it. They were used to dialing an extension on a store phone.
    We made a similar purchase* at Home Depot here. We were supposed to text "HERE" to their phone number and give our parking space identification number. Worked nicely. They came out with the stuff and helped load it.

*It was mostly bags of gardening soil, which Mrs M regards as essential.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2020-May-04 at 07:26 PM.

I got a call from the doctor's office this morning. My appointment next week is going be done by some sort of video conference. I'm not sure how that does any good; they can't weigh me, take my temperature, take my blood pressure, etc. I should probably try doing those things at home before hand. Maybe he'll have me hold the phone up to my heart.

ETA: Oops, that was supposed to be in the Covid thread. Oh well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I got a call from the doctor's office this morning. My appointment next week is going be done by some sort of video conference. I'm not sure how that does any good; they can't weigh me, take my temperature, take my blood pressure, etc. I should probably try doing those things at home before hand. Maybe he'll have me hold the phone up to my heart.

ETA: Oops, that was supposed to be in the Covid thread. Oh well.
    If the doc wants to do a proctology exam you might see if your cell phone supports that function.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    If the doc wants to do a proctology exam you might see if your cell phone supports that function.
    No, I've got a couple more years for the next one of those!

Probably. I should ask Graham how they're handling that at the Lowe's where he works. I do have that advantage; "I want [thing] from Lowe's" is "tell Graham to pick up [thing] from work." Meanwhile, I got the e-mails today about my order from Joanns.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

In another thread someone makes an almost casual reference to people being "triggered" by some statement they might disagree with.

Triggering is a real psychological term, referring to a real response to trauma that causes real damage. Please, everyone, STOP misusing it to mean mild dislike.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I never really understood what "triggered" meant until the first time I saw someone on a roof after falling off mine.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Oh, I've heard people offer that procedure to others when fighting in public!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In another thread someone makes an almost casual reference to people being "triggered" by some statement they might disagree with.

Triggering is a real psychological term, referring to a real response to trauma that causes real damage. Please, everyone, STOP misusing it to mean mild dislike.
    Hmm. I didn't realize that "triggered" was an actual term. I've only heard it in the fictional sense usually coming from the person about to engage in overboard drama.

I dislike "OCD". I know people who can or cannot make a choice about certain things, say, hand washing. That might be Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but as a non-psych-person, I don't like making those pronouncements. It's so much more effective to say, "They don't like..." and probably more descriptive of whatever is happening. Another pronouncement I hate is "Oppositional Defiant Disorder" for children that merely don't like school. If you've ever met someone with a defiant disorder, their behavior goes so far beyond like and dislike.

Labeling the classroom is so dangerous. I had a student with a goal to be able to state how he felt. People would ask him "Does that make you feel X?" where X was usually a positive emotion. He'd answer "yes" to everything. That was non-helpful, because he honestly disliked a lot of activities we were doing in the classroom and it showed. To measure the same goal, I would do this "Whacha thinkin'?" gag to ask the same question (using the tone of Izzy from Phineas and Ferb, when she'd ask the boys what they were doing). Took longer, but got honest answers. The danger in this is having to scrap classroom activities and replace them on the fly.
    Solfe

As a "labeled" person, though, I found the diagnosis a great relief, even for my most minor issue. (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder.) Because it meant I wasn't just being annoying, I legitimately can't help that my brain is that way.

"You can't erase icing."

As a "labeled" person, though, I found the diagnosis a great relief, even for my most minor issue. (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder.) Because it meant I wasn't just being annoying, I legitimately can't help that my brain is that way.
    It's dangerous at the classroom level because classroom staff don't have the ability to diagnose. There is a good chance we know what is happening by experience, but it's a qualified statement. You need a professional to make the call.

Where I work now, I generally have an idea of the student's medical situation, which comes right from the child's doctor to our nursing staff and is parental approved. If I don't know what my part is in all of this, I get training. So do my staff. I generally work with kids with autism, it doesn't preclude something else. It's all good information and documented in policy.

I used to work at a school where the student's medical and psychiatric information was hidden away from teaching staff, yet nursing would happily tell you what meds were being given. (Not really, but really. They would tell the student what they were being given, in front of staff, which is the same as telling the staff. Nursing staff weren't trained to deal with behaviors, so the staff couldn't leave the room. Not all systems are smooth.) That resulted staff running off to Dr. Google with a list of medications and trying to guess what they were being used to treat. 9 times out of 10, someone would read a medicine could be used for seizures and psychosis. Obviously, the student was clearly a psychopath. Yeah... that's rotten on a whole bunch of different levels.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2020-May-09 at 06:35 AM.
    Solfe

I've been trying to roll with things in the past 24 hours. The first text I woke up to was from our principal. We are doing a rolling parade past student's houses next week. We have signs, posters, flyers and oh so much more. I was so pumped up for it.

The very next text was from my sister. A family friend, Renee, died from a complications medical procedure. Third time, this cornavirus rodeo. It's really galling to deal with this pandemic while "real life" carries on. I lost two uncles in a day due to old age and now just a few weeks later, this unforeseen complication. This stuff happens everyday, but the whole lock-down situation makes it a real kick in the pants.

Back to my favorite part of hanging out with my friend Renee. The most accurate description of our relationship was "heartbreak friends". When something went wrong, we were always there for each other and pushed each other to get back in to the groove without actually having an assigned relationship. We weren't like family, it was a mutual platonic thing. We went to countless rock concerts, hikes and other off-beat things. She told me to marry my wife. I told her she could do anything.

The last photo I took of her was at Rattlesnake Point in Ontario. She didn't believe that she could rock climb, so I set her up as my belay on a climb called "Freefall". It had a 20+ foot overhang, so if you fell - "freefall..." After she saw me do it, we switched places and she did it. I was so excited when she reached the top, I ran the entire trail and took a photo of her looking down off the escarpment. A few days later, she told me she was pregnant with her first son and she was doing this all alone because she knew I was getting married because she told me to. It makes the picture of her from behind and looking over the edge so much more poignant.

I'd post the picture but it was taken with a film camera and I gave it to her sons, Philip and Nathan. They couldn't believe their mom was a rock climber. They only vaguely know about me, but the oldest son has my name and the younger and second son shares a name with my own second child. We were the oddest un-couple there ever was. I can't really discuss the whole thing with my wife and kids, or on social media, so this is my only outlet.

Here is a brief video of Rattlesnake Point, not taken by me. Many of the shots show overhanging cliffs, but Freefall was extraordinary for it's size. A few days after our successful adventure, there was a minor earthquake which destroyed that particular path up the cliff. We were one pair of lucky last climbers on that unique line up the rockface.
    Solfe

I can understand where you are coming from. But the problem is, the word "triggered" is quite an old term, as we often say things like "World War II was triggered by..." And obviously, psychologists took that term and made it into a specific term. But just because they appropriated it doesn't make it easy for other people, using the more general term, to give up their general usage just because psychologists made it into a specific term. I suppose it would be possible to make it more precise, and say "My anger was triggered by seeing xx on TV" rather than "I was triggered by..." as I think that in general, the second is a sort of shorthand for the first. In any case, saying that "I was triggered" seems a bit weird to me anyway, as it should be "my trauma was triggered" or "my anger was triggered," depending on the situation. To me, "trigger" implies the immediate cause of something rather than a deeper cause. As in, World War I may have been triggered by the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, but the real causes were much deeper, i.e. the rise of nationalism in Europe.
    As above, so below

Does that mean that some trauma caused you to not like some food? I may have the same thing, though it's not a big deal in my case. When I was a young child my dad tried to get me to eat oysters, and I rejected it at the time and still cannot stand them. The problem is, I'm not sure if my dislike is because of that trauma, or because oysters are not very good in the first place... I have a feeling that my dislike of oysters is not really caused by that trauma but just by the fact that they taste kind of iron-like, which I don't like in general.
    As above, so below

I think the problem is that the psychological term "trauma trigger" was borrowed from the customary usage, then that informed the idea of "trigger warnings" and people being "triggered" psychologically, and then that was adopted back into common usage by people who didn't understand the psychological gravity of the technical usage. And because of that trivialization, it's now been adopted into dismissive usage.
    For people who actually experience real PTSD triggers, this is frustrating.

But of course people who suffer from real life-threatening allergies have been infuriated for years by people who claim to be "allergic" to food they merely dislike. No matter what we do, people are going to keep on using words without understanding them.

Grant Hutchison

I don’t think he was saying he dislikes labels altogether so much as he dislikes people trivializing the official labels for conditions by using them for people or behavior to which they do not apply, i.e. not saying “OCD” for referring to someone who simply organizes things for fun.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I used to work at a school where the student's medical and psychiatric information was hidden away from teaching staff, yet nursing would happily tell you what meds were being given. (Not really, but really. They would tell the student what they were being given, in front of staff, which is the same as telling the staff. Nursing staff weren't trained to deal with behaviors, so the staff couldn't leave the room. Not all systems are smooth.) That resulted staff running off to Dr. Google with a list of medications and trying to guess what they were being used to treat. 9 times out of 10, someone would read a medicine could be used for seizures and psychosis. Obviously, the student was clearly a psychopath. Yeah... that's rotten on a whole bunch of different levels.
    I mean, most of the medicine I've taken can be used to treat seizures and psychosis. That means it also, because the brain is weird, can treat bipolar disorder. I agree that unqualified people shouldn't be making diagnoses, though goodness knows I've also gotten some doozies from theoretically qualified people. A friend of mine says she should start every first session with the list of what she's been diagnosed with already and let them take their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Does that mean that some trauma caused you to not like some food? I may have the same thing, though it's not a big deal in my case. When I was a young child my dad tried to get me to eat oysters, and I rejected it at the time and still cannot stand them. The problem is, I'm not sure if my dislike is because of that trauma, or because oysters are not very good in the first place... I have a feeling that my dislike of oysters is not really caused by that trauma but just by the fact that they taste kind of iron-like, which I don't like in general.
    No one knows. But if it's only a single food, that's not it, because the whole thing with the condition is that it's literally dozens of foods, in my case entire food groups pretty much, and you have a seriously severe reaction like nearly throwing up or actually throwing up.

"You can't erase icing."

I can understand where you are coming from. But the problem is, the word "triggered" is quite an old term, as we often say things like "World War II was triggered by..." And obviously, psychologists took that term and made it into a specific term. But just because they appropriated it doesn't make it easy for other people, using the more general term, to give up their general usage just because psychologists made it into a specific term. I suppose it would be possible to make it more precise, and say "My anger was triggered by seeing xx on TV" rather than "I was triggered by..." as I think that in general, the second is a sort of shorthand for the first. In any case, saying that "I was triggered" seems a bit weird to me anyway, as it should be "my trauma was triggered" or "my anger was triggered," depending on the situation. To me, "trigger" implies the immediate cause of something rather than a deeper cause. As in, World War I may have been triggered by the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, but the real causes were much deeper, i.e. the rise of nationalism in Europe.
    Context is everything. I'm not talking about general usage of a generic term.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Context is everything. I'm not talking about general usage of a generic term.
    I'm sorry if it seemed like I was being dismissive. I meant to say that it's easy for people to not really understand the usage that you are talking about. As Grant wrote above, people often are not precise with the words they use, and sure it can be frustrating if you are in a really serious situation. I'
    As above, so below

No one knows. But if it's only a single food, that's not it, because the whole thing with the condition is that it's literally dozens of foods, in my case entire food groups pretty much, and you have a seriously severe reaction like nearly throwing up or actually throwing up.
    I can understand that. About a year ago I went to a party and someone ordered oysters, and I decided to be brave and try one just in case. And I did manage to get it down, but I was gagging the whole time. It's not something I plan to repeat anytime soon.
    As above, so below

It's why I take a multivitamin--yes, I know; it's better to get your vitamins from food. Definitely. But if your body simply won't let you eat fruit or vegetables, you're not getting your vitamins from them anyway.

"You can't erase icing."

I can understand that. About a year ago I went to a party and someone ordered oysters, and I decided to be brave and try one just in case. And I did manage to get it down, but I was gagging the whole time. It's not something I plan to repeat anytime soon.
    I never got oysters, just looked yucky.

Than I started a new job and my sponsor and his wife took me and my wife to dinner. After a few before dinner drinks he ordered some oysters on the half shell. Being about half snockered (did I mention the before dinner drinks?) I decided to try one.

Turns out I really like oysters.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Than I started a new job and my sponsor and his wife took me and my wife to dinner. After a few before dinner drinks he ordered some oysters on the half shell. Being about half snockered (did I mention the before dinner drinks?) I decided to try one.

And also, I didn't mention this, but I like clams, scallops, and other shellfish, so it's not that I don't like shellfish in general. It's just oysters.
    As above, so below

I like them fried but will pass on the raw ones.

For the most part, I don't like seafood, except for certain fried varieties. I also for the most part don't eat fruits or vegetables. I don't like about 90% of traditional Thanksgiving foods; my grandmother used to give me a baked potato and put the roll basket in front of me. She probably bought at least one extra package (she did brown-and-serve) every holiday just to make sure I had enough, since I wasn't eating anything else. The first month I was gone to college, my mother gloated at me about all the food she was having at home that she hadn't bothered making for years.

"You can't erase icing."