Page 166 of 166 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166
Results 4,951 to 4,959 of 4959

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

  1. #4951
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,190
    A fellow looked it over and they are coming back at nine to start removing it. I may get out of this with no serious damage. It isn’t certain, but it was spread out enough it might not have gone throgh the roofing at all. Anyway, it’s months until rainy season, so I have time for that. Also there was a branch that got close to a window but didn’t break it.

    But we’ll see . . . It’s about $2500 for the work, but I’ll be happy not to have that tree around, it always concerned me when winds got bad in the winter. This time there was just a minor breeze, but it was enough. It was just too big and old.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  2. #4952
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,225
    Yikes. Hope the roof wasn't breached.

  3. #4953
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,190
    Yep, I hope so too. It covers an impressively large area of the roof so hopefully the weight was spread out and didn’t knock any holes through. I don’t see anything and the lead fellow says usually it doesn’t go through.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  4. #4954
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    13,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yep, I hope so too. It covers an impressively large area of the roof so hopefully the weight was spread out and didn’t knock any holes through. I don’t see anything and the lead fellow says usually it doesn’t go through.
    Hoping the best for your roof!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  5. #4955
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,190
    So there are a couple small holes, one or two fingers wide, and a couple scuffs. Also a couple dents in the wall that Iíll use filler on. One was pretty close to a window, Iím happy that wasnít broken. There is more work, but they got the tree off the roof, and the rest cut back so Iím not worried about it also coming down. Iíll have someone do the roof soon, but I donít need to worry about rain until at least September and rain doesnít usually get going until late October or sometime in November.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  6. #4956
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Any safety guy would worry that a fridge has a metal case and could have a cable fault, from a mouse say, gnawing the cables. Metal should be grounded but, being metal, could go live and shock you on a well grounded floor, never mind being wet. I think the GFCI is a good idea there and might save the mouse too.
    So to put a bow on the saga of the CFI, I had an electrician check out the circuit. This resulted in a new "annoys me" because it ain't the CFI that caused the trip - it's the old fridge kicking on and overloading the CFI which is only rated for 15a. Refrigerators prefer 20a circuits.

    My options are to get another fridge in the not too distant future or install a dedicated 20a circuit. The new circuit would be cheaper but the old fridge is 12+ years. In a perfect world I would do both.

    *sigh*

  7. #4957
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,910
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    So to put a bow on the saga of the CFI, I had an electrician check out the circuit. This resulted in a new "annoys me" because it ain't the CFI that caused the trip - it's the old fridge kicking on and overloading the CFI which is only rated for 15a. Refrigerators prefer 20a circuits.

    My options are to get another fridge in the not too distant future or install a dedicated 20a circuit. The new circuit would be cheaper but the old fridge is 12+ years. In a perfect world I would do both.

    *sigh*
    Is it a combined breaker and residual trip? Anyway a fridge should not draw that kind of current even when starting. The running power of a fridge is a few hundred watts, like an amp or two at 110v. The inrush to the motor might cause the GFCI to trip, especially if the capacitor start circuit is old and tired. Those caps do dry out, I am assuming it is a capacitor start motor.

    I don’t want to say your electrician has the wrong diagnosis but I find it unlikely that you need a 20 amp circuit just for the inrush current which happens every time the fridge turns itself on. Start caps are available. The new type GFCI as mentioned earlier, might well trip on a fridge motor, even if rated for 20 amps. Finally the fridge label plate on the back should specify the power or current required. I hope you don’t need a new fridge!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  8. #4958
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Is it a combined breaker and residual trip? Anyway a fridge should not draw that kind of current even when starting. The running power of a fridge is a few hundred watts, like an amp or two at 110v. The inrush to the motor might cause the GFCI to trip, especially if the capacitor start circuit is old and tired. Those caps do dry out, I am assuming it is a capacitor start motor.

    I don’t want to say your electrician has the wrong diagnosis but I find it unlikely that you need a 20 amp circuit just for the inrush current which happens every time the fridge turns itself on. Start caps are available. The new type GFCI as mentioned earlier, might well trip on a fridge motor, even if rated for 20 amps. Finally the fridge label plate on the back should specify the power or current required. I hope you don’t need a new fridge!
    It's just the CFI tripping, not the breaker. His recommendation for a 20a circuit is consistent with current code requirements which require 20a circuits in the kitchen.

    Besides adding a 20a CFI I also swapped out an extension cord for one with a better gauge. The new cord is still only rated for 15a but would help with any load-based heating. The old extension cord was not as beefy and only rated for 13a.

    So it's likely several issues; old CFI (they do die), old fridge, weak extension cord between the fridge and the CFI. So let's see how things progress.

    I also added a cheap LED night light so if the CFI trips I'll see it, rather than have to open the fridge.

  9. #4959
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,910
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    It's just the CFI tripping, not the breaker. His recommendation for a 20a circuit is consistent with current code requirements which require 20a circuits in the kitchen.

    Besides adding a 20a CFI I also swapped out an extension cord for one with a better gauge. The new cord is still only rated for 15a but would help with any load-based heating. The old extension cord was not as beefy and only rated for 13a.

    So it's likely several issues; old CFI (they do die), old fridge, weak extension cord between the fridge and the CFI. So let's see how things progress.

    I also added a cheap LED night light so if the CFI trips I'll see it, rather than have to open the fridge.
    Fair enough, i hope it works out.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •