Page 142 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,260 of 4433

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

  1. #4231
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,265
    My best friend thinks she has it. But she's not sure, since no fever. And of course she can't get tested. But one of the things I'd been looking forward to about moving was having her help me do something for me that I'd done for her last two homes, and that definitely won't happen.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  2. #4232
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I was wondering who would be the first here to report a (probable?) Covid-19 infection. *sigh*
    For me, I think probably proven in civil law, but not criminal law. So on the balance of probabilities, but not beyond a reasonable doubt.
    We're currently at what's called "clinical equipoise" here in Scotland, which is to say that, of those self-isolating on the basis of core COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough), about 50% will have the disease and 50% won't. My own mix of additional symptoms probably nudges be into the "more likely than not" zone, particularly since I've had the flu vaccine for this year, which is a big component of the symptomatic 50% who don't have COVID-19.

    Grant Hutchison

  3. #4233
    Someone whou thought the pandemic is a hoax tried to ram a freight train into USNS MERCY, trying to sink a hospital ship trying to help out the Los Angeles area.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  4. #4234
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,186
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Someone whou thought the pandemic is a hoax tried to ram a freight train into USNS MERCY, trying to sink a hospital ship trying to help out the Los Angeles area.
    Well, he thought there was some sort of conspiracy going on in relation to the Mercy. If he was trying to ram the ship, he also thought the train could travel several hundred metres across land and water after it left the tracks.

    Grant Hutchison

  5. #4235
    This kind of stuff annoys me on several reasons. First of most of us are self isolating, in the last few weeks I been near people twice. Once talking to a neighbor over a fence, only talked to them because her son called out to me and other time was to pick up a few things. Plus my the school year is over for my neices plus everyone else in the provonce, my oldest neice is graduatating and her and her mother were just getting ready for it, ad my niece was working at the local civic center and is now working at a grocery store even after getting a scholarship for university next year. Plus the only regular gig I had is closed down. And some people are still going around in groups, some are going buses to bugging the bus drivers, coughing on them and saying they having covid-19 most of these are just bored kids.I want to more I have some ideas to make a few physics and astronomy apps that might be useful for educational purposes but constantly bugged by a troll who thinks they are the worlds gift to everything, so I might have to leave here which is one of few places I have to communicate and even more so.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #4236
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    15,627
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    [...]some are going buses to bugging the bus drivers, coughing on them and saying they having covid-19 most of these are just bored kids.[...]
    Happening now to law enforcers and ambulances types here so often it's become a thing.. "corona-coughers". We have a special circumstances very quick judicial trajectory for those, several have already been sentenced to jail. I understand that we can't force COVID tests (yet?) on the spitters to relieve the anxiety of those they spat on or tried to... :/ Non-trivial indeed.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  7. #4237
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Happening now to law enforcers and ambulances types here so often it's become a thing.. "corona-coughers". We have a special circumstances very quick judicial trajectory for those, several have already been sentenced to jail. I understand that we can't force COVID tests (yet?) on the spitters to relieve the anxiety of those they spat on or tried to... :/ Non-trivial indeed.
    I don't what law enforcement is doing about it, it is Halifax the largest city in the region and at least one employee of the system has gotten the disease, the bus system is needed for the movement of essential personal. As everywhere else most people are doing what they should and keeping there distance.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  8. #4238
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,186
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, he thought there was some sort of conspiracy going on in relation to the Mercy. If he was trying to ram the ship, he also thought the train could travel several hundred metres across land and water after it left the tracks.
    Interesting that "train wrecking" is a federal crime. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in the UK.
    And back in 1955, it says here:
    Train-wrecking, without any resultant death, is a capital offense in Arizona, California and Wyoming
    Heck of a thing to do "on impulse".

    Grant Hutchison

  9. #4239
    What else would you charge them with grand theft train.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  10. #4240
    Tonight Mom:"did you got to school with so and so."
    me:"Yes"
    Asked a friend over facebook, then who found the obit, yes he did die, me checking the obit.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  11. #4241
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Tonight Mom:"did you got to school with so and so."
    me:"Yes"
    Asked a friend over facebook, then who found the obit, yes he did die, me checking the obit.
    Never kept up with him after high school but he was in the military and got injured.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  12. #4242
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,186
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    What else would you charge them with grand theft train.
    Malicious Damage, it would seem.
    The Malicious Damage Act 1861, Section 35 seems to apply:
    Whosoever shall unlawfully and maliciously cut, place, cast, or throw upon or across any railway any wood, stone, or other matter or thing, or shall unlawfully and maliciously take up, remove, or displace any rail, sleeper, or other matter or thing belonging to any railway, or shall unlawfully and maliciously turn, move, or divert any points or other machinery belonging to any railway, or shall unlawfully and maliciously make or show, hide or remove, any signal or light upon or near to any railway, or shall unlawfully and maliciously do or cause to be done any other matter or thing, with intent, in any of the cases aforesaid, to obstruct, upset, overthrow, injure, or destroy any engine, tender, carriage, or truck using such railway, shall be guilty of felony ...
    The UK's Malicious Damage Act is a big rag-bag collection of legislation applying to all sorts of damage to all sorts of objects. No reason other jurisdictions shouldn't divide them up into specific offences--I was just intrigued by the extreme specificity of "train-wrecking".

    Grant Hutchison

  13. #4243
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,427
    I was out and about for a little while yesterday, taking care of my car license problem and getting a few things from the store. When I got home I found myself very depressed. It took me a little while to realize why. It's all the changes I saw while out. Plastic panels between you and everyone. People in masks. Marks on the floor to space out customers. No tortillas on the shelf.

    I need a nice meal in a restaurant, but our governor's extended the shutdown through May.

    ETA: Obsessively checking Worldometer every couple of hours probably doesn't help, but it's grimly fascinating.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  14. #4244
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was out and about for a little while yesterday, taking care of my car license problem and getting a few things from the store. When I got home I found myself very depressed. It took me a little while to realize why. It's all the changes I saw while out. Plastic panels between you and everyone. People in masks. Marks on the floor to space out customers. No tortillas on the shelf.

    I need a nice meal in a restaurant, but our governor's extended the shutdown through May.

    ETA: Obsessively checking Worldometer every couple of hours probably doesn't help, but it's grimly fascinating.
    If it's any consolation click on the Logarithmic scale for Total Cases. There is a faint (very faint) curve starting to appear.

    Not so much for deaths.

  15. #4245
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, he thought there was some sort of conspiracy going on in relation to the Mercy. If he was trying to ram the ship, he also thought the train could travel several hundred metres across land and water after it left the tracks. Grant Hutchison
    While pretty clearly mentally ill (I have known people like that), you have to think that here's a guy who thinks the federal government is coming in to Los Angeles to take it over and... drum roll... make it a part of the United States, I guess. I won't offer a diagnosis, but I can lay odds on what it is.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  16. #4246
    One the newest things prohibited is open fires until May 1, and me with giant piles of brush and tons of time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  17. #4247
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    While pretty clearly mentally ill ...
    That's certainly a possibility. He also seems to have been holding a lighted flare while he drove the locomotive off the end of the tracks, which is another odd thing to do, in a catalogue of odd things. I was just trying to gently point out that this seems to be something a bit more complicated than his merely believing that the pandemic is a hoax.

    Grant Hutchison

  18. #4248
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's certainly a possibility. He also seems to have been holding a lighted flare while he drove the locomotive off the end of the tracks, which is another odd thing to do, in a catalogue of odd things. I was just trying to gently point out that this seems to be something a bit more complicated than his merely believing that the pandemic is a hoax. Grant Hutchison
    I believe you nailed it.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  19. #4249
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,716
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    What else would you charge them with grand theft train.
    I think they were at least considering charging the person with a terrorist act.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  20. #4250
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was out and about for a little while yesterday, taking care of my car license problem and getting a few things from the store. When I got home I found myself very depressed. It took me a little while to realize why. It's all the changes I saw while out. Plastic panels between you and everyone. People in masks. Marks on the floor to space out customers. No tortillas on the shelf.

    I need a nice meal in a restaurant, but our governor's extended the shutdown through May.

    ETA: Obsessively checking Worldometer every couple of hours probably doesn't help, but it's grimly fascinating.
    I have found myself dealing with small bouts of depression on and off (I mean it in the commonly used sense, not the clinical one). I think it is a pretty normal reaction to all that is happening. Why wouldn't one feel sad at times?

    One of the things I have found strange when I've been out and about is the lack of traffic. The other day I was driving through the center of our town at the height of evening rush hour, when it normally would be very busy, and there was hardly a car on the road.

    Hang in there my friend.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  21. #4251
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14,149
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    If it's any consolation click on the Logarithmic scale for Total Cases. There is a faint (very faint) curve starting to appear.

    Not so much for deaths.
    Since there is a lag between diagnosis and death, that should be expected.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

  22. #4252
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Interesting that "train wrecking" is a federal crime. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in the UK.
    And back in 1955, it says here... {snip}

    Grant Hutchison
    It appears that many of these laws were created during a time period where trains were rapidly being deployed to places that had no support system. Pre-1900, train wrecks, even just accidental, were devastating. Mexico has a history of commemorating and lamenting train wrecks in songs, and these were just human error, not attacks on trains.

    This was also the time period where Mexico and the United States were violating each other's borders and trying their best to get in a war. A small gang of men could really do a number on train tracks, so I suspect the US laws were a bit of a knee jerk. I have no idea what laws Mexico implemented as it was a chaotic time for them (I should know, but I don't). As near as I can remember, Mexico suffered train disaster after disaster so the law was really focused on corporate safety issues and not a bands of marauders or vandals. Typically when people went after trains in Mexico, it was not the train they were after and anything done to the train was a symbolic gesture.
    Solfe

  23. #4253
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    That was sort of off topic. I like the distraction of history. My cat passed away this morning and it really bothers me.

    She was an adoption from the local SPCA. She was a hard luck case, a surrendered adult cat in a room full of kittens. I took a liking to her the moment I saw her come up on the adoption webpage. They named her "Santa's Little Helper" but we renamed her Roxy. They wanted to be rid of her and they reclassified her as a kitten because they were having a sale on kittens. She was 3 or 4 according to the vet. Not even close to kitten. And she zig zagged between neurotic and mean.

    She was borderline feral. She'd climb into my bed and bite me in order to get fed. She'd go for my calf and drew blood on more than one occasion. Then she would purr and rub the kids and my wife, as if she didn't just savagely attack me for food.

    A feisty punk if there ever was one. I loved that cat. She had attitude.

    This evening, my son blew up on me. Told me his cat died and he was mad. I totally get it. Since the whole world shut down, they were constant companions. That hurts more than losing the cat.
    Solfe

  24. #4254
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My cat passed away this morning and it really bothers me.
    Very sorry to hear that.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  25. #4255
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,427
    On my other forum, we've STILL got people trying to downplay the Covid-19 situation, saying it's no worse than the flu, is the flu, the number of deaths is being inflated, etc. One even said, just a day or so ago, that 50000 people die of flu, about 4000 a month, so until Covid-19 exceeded that rate we shouldn't worry about it. 1321 people died of it in the USA yesterday, about 3000 in the previous three days. Another guy is downplaying the situation on USS Theodore Roosevelt.
    Their motivation is probably political, but we can't get into that here.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  26. #4256
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My cat passed away this morning and it really bothers me.
    I'm sorry Solfe. Roxy reminds me of the cat, Boots, I grew up with.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  27. #4257
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,896
    Solfe, my extreme and sincere condolences on your loss. May you meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  28. #4258
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Solfe, my extreme and sincere condolences on your loss. May you meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.
    My wife gave me a rainbow sticker and I didn't get the context. Now that I googled it, I like it.

    Thank you, everyone.
    Solfe

  29. #4259
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,238
    Solfe, the loss of a well loved pet is very sad. I hope your good memories will help you out.

  30. #4260
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    On my other forum, we've STILL got people trying to downplay the Covid-19 situation, saying it's no worse than the flu, is the flu, the number of deaths is being inflated, etc. One even said, just a day or so ago, that 50000 people die of flu, about 4000 a month, so until Covid-19 exceeded that rate we shouldn't worry about it. 1321 people died of it in the USA yesterday, about 3000 in the previous three days. Another guy is downplaying the situation on USS Theodore Roosevelt.
    Their motivation is probably political, but we can't get into that here.
    So avoid the ISF for a while.

    Also right now my brain is starting to think of a way to discuss a video, I officially hate how my brain works.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •