Page 144 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 4434

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I posted once before that our daughter had lost her teaching position at a private school, only to follow up and say she still had it. Well, tomorrow is now her last day. She decided to resign. It wasn't the work or the working conditions that got to her. It was the daily commute with almost no traffic on what once were crowded roads. The eeriness of it was stressing her out … like driving through an apocalypse.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    ConsTRAINts?
    Previously, yes. Now, I suspect it might be more like CONstraints.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I posted once before that our daughter had lost her teaching position at a private school, only to follow up and say she still had it. Well, tomorrow is now her last day. She decided to resign. It wasn't the work or the working conditions that got to her. It was the daily commute with almost no traffic on what once were crowded roads. The eeriness of it was stressing her out … like driving through an apocalypse.
    I can sympathize. I had to go out to get a prescription for my wife and did some shopping while I was there. Just like last time, I found myself depressed when I got back because of all the changes.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We got the call yesterday. Our governor has ordered all schools closed for the remainder of the school year. This is sad enough to begin with, but it was going to be our last year in our previous school district, much less at Simon's current school. Class picture day was scheduled for the Thursday after the schools closed, so he won't even have that. He'll have a school picture for the year, but his school did two a year, and the class picture was with the spring picture day.
    They've closed schools for the remainder of the year here, as well, and this is also our son's last year at his current school.

One of my co-instructors at Taekwondo is a high school senior this year. I haven't heard yet what they plan to do in regards to graduation...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

We keep driving back to the apartment around rush hour without worrying about how crowded the roads will be. It is indeed fairly eerie--the biggest delay between here and the house (we don't start sleeping there until next week, and that's when the internet changes over) is construction on one of the roads. Which is easy enough to go around, given there are about fifteen different possible ways to drive from there to here.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I just had a annoying thought from the back of head, How is BigDon doing?
    He seems to be doing fine. Turned up on the blog today.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Apr-08 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Direct link

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Previously, yes. Now, I suspect it might be more like CONstraints.
    Well, to quote someone on one of my other fora, he did have a loco motive.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Well, to quote someone on one of my other fora, he did have a loco motive.
    No doubt he feels he's being railroaded.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    No doubt he feels he's being railroaded.
    His train of thought had a lot of impact on his destination.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    His train of thought had a lot of impact on his destination.
    He's probably railing about that now.

Let’s not derail this thread.

(Yes.... kidding)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Like that guy did in L.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post

(Yes.... kidding)
    You're right, we've gotten off track.

Remember that old thread (more than ten years ago at least) about the JFK assassination that got overrun by vegetable puns? That was legendary.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You're right, we've gotten off track.
    Sorry, but loco motive wins, it’s got wheels.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Sorry, but loco motive wins, it’s got wheels.
    A well-engineered victory.

Seriously, could things possibly get any worse? Oh, yes, and they already have gotten much worse....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ng/ar-BB12nWbj

Remember that old thread (more than ten years ago at least) about the JFK assassination that got overrun by vegetable puns? That was legendary.
    I don't remember but it must've been really gourd. We also had a really gneiss geology one a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just heard from a cousin in Kansas. One of my other cousins has pneumonia and is on a ventilator. She's younger than me. Test results aren't back but probably Covid-19.
    This is a state which has delayed its response for purely political reasons. Yeah, I know the forum rules. It doesn't seem important right now.
    I heard from my last living uncle (he's only about five years older than me) yesterday. She's no worse, but apparently no better either. Neither is the political situation in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Seriously, could things possibly get any worse? Oh, yes, and they already have gotten much worse....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ng/ar-BB12nWbj
    How have they gotten much worse? From my reading, it is a modest temporary increase in radiation in an unpopulated area.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I heard from my last living uncle (he's only about five years older than me) yesterday. She's no worse, but apparently no better either. Neither is the political situation in the state.
    There is hope in the words “no worse.” With luck it will give her time to get past the infection.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    How have they gotten much worse? From my reading, it is a modest temporary increase in radiation in an unpopulated area.
    Yeah. These fires happen every year around Chernobyl, and firefighters put them out.
    Meanwhile, the fact that someone with a radiation detector detected a spike in radiation while standing right next to a smouldering building which was still emitting smoke is hardly a surprise.

Grant Hutchison

Yesterday, the TV news tried to sound upbeat, saying that current models were predicting “only” 60k deaths in the US from COVID-19 instead of the previously predicted 100k.

They really made it sound like the worst was over, showing hospital workers resting. Then, I checked the JHU website and saw that current US deaths were on the order of 15k.

The worst ain’t over. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

It is interesting how low the numbers seem to be turning out anyway, relatively speaking. They were increasing quickly for a while and are already slowing down enough to make me wonder whether we'll even hit 60. I guess that estimate must be including new hot spots flaring up while the last/current ones settle down. Anything around 60 would put it in the range of some bad flu years.

Of course, that's with serious precautions that aren't taken every year, which introduces the challenge of how to estimate what would have happened without those precautions.

I'm wondering if checking literally everyone's titers after all this settles down would provide that information. I'd love it if it happened regardless, because that's information that we literally do not have about any other pandemic in history, but it won't.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My cousin has died of Covid-19. The situation is tragic for the entire country.

Oh my God, I am so sorry.

Hitting closer and closer to home.
    My condolences, and please do what you can to keep yourself and Mrs Trebuchet safe.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I am sorry to hear that. I was hoping your cousin would be one of the lucky ones.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Damn, sorry.