Page 130 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131 LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,900 of 3920

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

I have a man cold. It is the end. I love you all and will see you on the other side. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaughghghg stupid runny nose

Workmen trodding about stepped on some of my small Eaglemoss starships, breaking them.
    Whoever came up with the idea of upstairs plumbing should be hanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Apparently, they had a lot of talent depart, both voluntarily and not, since Scripps bought them in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was also a scandal involving ongoing sexual harassment by one of their main writers around the same time which would not have endeared it to the new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I was saddened to read that, for all intents and purposes, Mad Magazine has come to an end. Admittedly I have probably not seen a new issue since the end of the 20th Century but I really enjoyed it back in the 1960's & 1970's. I have still got a few paperback copies of 'The best of Mad', 'Don Martin on ---'. etc hidden away. They still raise a smile when I run across them.

I guess that this current age is not conducive to these types of magazines. I can only resort to Cicero -"'o tempora! o mores!". (Cue ravings of old man - "Back in my day", "You kids get off my lawn" etc)

Here a couple of articles from the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/o...d=277638680713

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/05/b...pgtype=Article
    What - me worry?

Yeah, another piece of my childhood is gone. I always liked "Snappy answers to stupid questions" and "Spy vs. spy".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Somewhere I read someone else lamenting the end of Mad Magazine. He said it was an education for him as a kid, as in, "I learned about the idiocy of the Cold War thanks to Spy vs. Spy."

Really?

Is there a word for when we apply adult understanding to childhood experiences? Something akin to "anthropomorphizing" but with false nostalgia?

We less-sophisticated kids learned about the Cold War from Boris Badenov and Natasha. But it was a simpler time when all spies were so readily identifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Somewhere I read someone else lamenting the end of Mad Magazine. He said it was an education for him as a kid, as in, "I learned about the idiocy of the Cold War thanks to Spy vs. Spy."

Really?

Is there a word for when we apply adult understanding to childhood experiences? Something akin to "anthropomorphizing" but with false nostalgia?
    I mean, my understanding was that the strip’s original creator was a Cuban exile who decided to portray spies in that way as a satire of the futility of the Cold War.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I guess I was just a naive kid. I just read Spy vs. Spy for the visual gags. No geopolitical lessons going into my brain.

Next someone will say that they became a veterinarian from watching Tom & Jerry cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Next someone will say that they became a veterinarian from watching Tom & Jerry cartoons.
    If I had become a veterinarian, it would have been from watching Daktari.

Now, my love of explosives almost certainly comes from Wile E. Coyote.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    ... Now, my love of explosives almost certainly comes from Wile E. Coyote.
    Along with a deeper appreciation for gravitational physics.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

This is borderline trivial, but yesterday I was at the dermatologist for a checkup. (I get skin cancer pretty regularly.) Anyhow, while I was in the waiting room, the two women in the reception area were talking about celebrities getting old and dying. One then said "And so-and-so just turned 70. She'll be dead soon."
    I'll be 71 in a few weeks. Ladies, don't do that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I don't start thinking, "Oh, they'll be dead soon and I need to get to them for my column" until someone's at least 85. And I mean, that's why I wrote about both Olivia de Havilland and Kirk Douglas early, and they're both still going at over a hundred!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Just don't buy into Acme Anvil stock based on the cartoons.

People who take quotes way out of context to try to make a point that isn't there.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I mean, my understanding was that the stripís original creator was a Cuban exile who decided to portray spies in that way as a satire of the futility of the Cold War.
    That may well be true. I think though that the point was that, as kids, we didnít understand it that way. Iím almost sure that I didnít realize that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Some kids may well have done. Kids understand things at wildly different levels.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The secret to good satire is that it works equally well on both levels, the surface comedy and the hidden meaning.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Yesterday I cooled my heels in the ER of a nearby hospital when I was not sick or injured. I had run out of injection needles because of multiple foulups in the delivery of a refill from the military pharmacy in St. Louis. The attending doctor got me a few from the hospital's stockpile and wrote me a one-time prescription for a package of 100 in case FedEx does not come through in the next couple of days. Technically I would consider this an emergency because diabetes is not to be trifled with. I had enough insulin in the refrigerator to last until October, but no way to use it. The regular prescription was shipped on Thursday and was supposed to be a two-day delivery, but the tracking link shows it sitting in Hagerstown, MD, just an hour and a half drive from here, for the past 36 hours.
    P.S. I recently got a statement from Medicare in the mail. I knew that ER visits are expensive, and in this case the hospital submitted a claim for $550. Medicare paid about $50 or so, with the balance to be submitted to Tricare, my secondary insurance. The bottom line said that the most I would be billed when all is said and done is under $15. Welcome to the wild and weird world of health care financing.

My street seems to be suffering a bit of a crime wave. A few weeks ago I posted about the house across the road being broken into and jewellery stolen. Over the last day/night my brother-in-laws 4wd, parked on our front lawn, was opened and his ashtray full of coins ($1 & $2 dollar ones) stolen. He thinks there may have been up to $100 worth of coins. Luckily for him they left a much more valuable satellite phone and radio equipment behind. He lives out in 'the bush' on a farm with less need for caution and I think his car may have been accidentally left unlocked as there was no damage and no alarm. Our 2 cars, locked, appear unmolested. My garage door appeared to have possibly been opened. But it is so crowded inside with junk waiting to be sorted and thrown out that any entry at night would be more dangerous than profitable.

I don't think the 2 instances were related as this seems to have been an opportunistic theft by passers-by. Still, it hasn't exactly cheered me up, especially as we will be away on holiday for a month later this year. We did get a small safe, bolted to the concrete floor, installed after the burglary across the road. We will probably get a house-sitter in for our trip.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Jul-22 at 02:30 AM.

Especially the slightly delayed nature of gravity is intriguing. Nature giving you that "oh please no" moment before The Fall.

I'm still working on my tunnel painting skills.

The secret to good satire is that it works equally well on both levels, the surface comedy and the hidden meaning.
    Ozzy thought Spinal Tap was an actual documentary.

How can you tell if you being gaslighted, or can you gaslight yourself. Gaslighting is when someone tries sow doubt into someone about the sanity. intelligence.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Have you ever had one of those I have a bad feeling about this moments.

I got up to use the washroom and noticed an ambulance in a neighbors driveway with I guess was her daughters SUV and another car on the road, never heard the ambulance coming. They also silently drove off.

Our Virginia Dept. of Transportation people appear to be asleep about some road work zone warning signs. In particular there are two electric signs warning of a road closure on Route 50 near my home, saying it would last July 2 through 5 and require a detour. That was three weeks ago, and it has been two weeks since I called them about it. I call it non-trivial because it is a distraction, forcing you to take your eyes off the road to read the information, only to find it a false alarm.

I feel besieged by bad news. All kinds of familial screwiness happening around me, but actually has nothing to do with me. Really awful stuff.

On the upside, I said to my wife: "Gee, my parents are looking pretty good right now."
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Our Virginia Dept. of Transportation people appear to be asleep about some road work zone warning signs. In particular there are two electric signs warning of a road closure on Route 50 near my home, saying it would last July 2 through 5 and require a detour. That was three weeks ago, and it has been two weeks since I called them about it. I call it non-trivial because it is a distraction, forcing you to take your eyes off the road to read the information, only to find it a false alarm.
    Sometime in the past year, a sign was removed near me. It read "Bicyclists, read warning sign ahead". The actual warning sign had been gone for more than 20 years.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Data Breaches. Apparently my wife and I were part of the Equifax kerfuffle. The company has a website to see if you were affected, and if so you have choices; opt for free credit monitoring or, if you have that already, a one-time payment of $125.

https://eligibility.equifaxbreachset...en/eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Data Breaches. Apparently my wife and I were part of the Equifax kerfuffle. The company has a website to see if you were affected, and if so you have choices; opt for free credit monitoring or, if you have that already, a one-time payment of $125.

I am in my third: US Army (resolved), US Office of Personnel Management (ongoing), and now LabCorp

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post

I came here to post about this, and see that I've been Toseeked by schlaugh

I signed-up for the credit monitoring this morning, and was pleased to see that I could also claim some compensation for the time I spent freezing my credit scores and the money those blankety-blanks charged me to do so back in 2017.
    And yes, I had the receipts on file!
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I am in my third: US Army (resolved), US Office of Personnel Management (ongoing), and now LabCorp
    That OPM breach particularly worrisome. It included everyone who had a security clearance.
    Cross reference that info with the Equifax breach, and a foreign adversary has a nice list of people who just might be willing to exchange a little information for money.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa