Page 153 of 155 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,590 of 4632

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The news.
    I should probably just stay off the internet except for kitten videos on YouTube.
    There are certain topics I just have to put in the mental equivalent of a cast and not even “touch” because they are too sensitive and will make me start crying. Like I almost did on my rounds at work today.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There are certain topics I just have to put in the mental equivalent of a cast and not even “touch” because they are too sensitive and will make me start crying. Like I almost did on my rounds at work today.
    After certain news last night I had to borrow an unused dvd player, I need to escape in movies. Plus I have to spend sometime away from a screen like going outdoors. Not everyone can go out right now.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    After certain news last night I had to borrow an unused dvd player, I need to escape in movies. Plus I have to spend sometime away from a screen like going outdoors. Not everyone can go out right now.
    I’m really lucky to be working as a Park Ranger at the moment, I think I’d be even more of an emotional wreck if I wasn’t outside in the woods so much.

I’m really lucky to be working as a Park Ranger at the moment, I think I’d be even more of an emotional wreck if I wasn’t outside in the woods so much.
    I am lucky too around here there is a lot of space between people, o you have distance to do stuff. I think 2020 should be called the year of the snafu.

I am lucky too around here there is a lot of space between people, o you have distance to do stuff. I think 2020 should be called the year of the snafu.
    I think of 2016 as The Year That Should Not Have Been, 2020 is The Second Year That Should Not Have Been.

We put in Doctor Who, from 2005! Eccleston is probably my favorite Doctor.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've been kicking the news habit for several years. It non-trivially annoys, distresses and depresses me. Not just the reported news items themselves, I'm also distressed by the quality of the journalism and editing, and the proliferation of punditry. (Don't even get me started on the headline writing!)

When I see an article that I consider reliable on a topic that matters, I prefer to go straight to the source materials as soon as possible, and often skip the bulk of the article itself. Even then I keep a skeptical eye open. As far as TV news goes, I consider most of it the equivalent of supermarket tabloids and celebrity magazines.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I think of 2016 as The Year That Should Not Have Been, 2020 is The Second Year That Should Not Have Been.
    Wife: Honey, watcha doin'?
    Husband: Just a little reading.
    Wife: Reading what?
    Husband: A Series of Unfortunate Events.
    Wife: ... Uh ... that's a 2020 calendar.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My sister has to get a new job. All the available stuff in her field is at best, half her current pay. We're in for some belt-tightening. We may have to move, too.

What happened in 2016?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    What happened in 2016?
    I think it's something we're not really allowed to discuss here.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post

State secret?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post

State secret?
    Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Politics.
    Well, not just that, but a lot of people I admired died, I walked into two lampposts in one weekend and nearly got a concussion, I got food poisoning in Greece, and I had to start the year at grad school with pinkeye.

My sister's sick now. Not a Covid scare this time, but nasty all the same. She can't work but at least she doesn't need to be quarantined.

My sister's sick now. Not a Covid scare this time, but nasty all the same. She can't work but at least she doesn't need to be quarantined.
    I got sick this morning. My first inclination is to check my blood sugar, but if it isn't that, my readings are weird. Maddingly so. At 6 am, my reading was completely normal. Post puking, it's through the roof. I want to say I didn't wash my hands well enough or something, but now I am waiting to lunch to take a new reading. If it wasn't contamination, it not a good point of data anyway.

Considering how I feel now, it's not the blood sugar.

Of course, this is happening between two medical visits. Yesterday I spoke to my diabetic councilor and tomorrow I see the doctor. Why couldn't this doctor's appointment be today?
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I got sick this morning. My first inclination is to check my blood sugar, but if it isn't that, my readings are weird. Maddingly so. At 6 am, my reading was completely normal. Post puking, it's through the roof. I want to say I didn't wash my hands well enough or something, but now I am waiting to lunch to take a new reading. If it wasn't contamination, it not a good point of data anyway.

Considering how I feel now, it's not the blood sugar.

Of course, this is happening between two medical visits. Yesterday I spoke to my diabetic councilor and tomorrow I see the doctor. Why couldn't this doctor's appointment be today?
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Solfe. Hope your visit has a positive effect.

I didn’t get any sleep last night because I had terrible period cramps and gas all night.

Fortunately my boss let me take sick leave when I called to explain.

I didn’t get any sleep last night because I had terrible period cramps and gas all night.

Feel better soon.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Again feel better soon.

Edit - Sorry double post. I have this annoying problem that I sometimes don't register pain correctly. I broke some teeth last week and started puking from the "referred pain". Not sure if that's the right word, so quote marks. Getting them fixed, or at least out next week.
    Solfe

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Solfe. Hope your visit has a positive effect.
    I have this annoying problem that I sometimes don't register pain correctly. I broke some teeth last week and started puking from the "referred pain". Not sure if that's the right word, so quote marks. Getting them fixed, or at least out next week.
    Solfe

I have this annoying problem that I sometimes don't register pain correctly. I broke some teeth last week and started puking from the "referred pain". Not sure if that's the right word, so quote marks. Getting them fixed, or at least out next week.
    Best of luck. Broken teeth - ooh.

Our former landlord has decided to send our "debt" to collections despite the notice we sent him about how we do not, in fact, owe him for these things. Allegedly, what we owe is to replace the carpet. I told the women from the collection agency who called that it was expired when we moved in. She said, "The lifespan of a carpet in Washington is eight years." Which is how old the carpet was when we moved into the apartment. And then we lived in it for ten years.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Geez, Gillian, that's awful. You don't deserve that.

Meanwhile, I've been tracking Covid-19 cases and deaths in the USA in a spreadsheet since the beginning, using data from Worldometer. The 7-day average of new cases has now exceeded 70,000 for the first time ever, and over a thousand people died yesterday. This is gonna be with us for a while.

Not so trivial:

That this Halloween, ghosts and goblins are the least scary things happening.

Indeed. After a record number of new USA cases Wednesday (per Worldometer), yesterday exceeded that number by almost 1000. And we STILL have denialists.

Split a tooth over two years ago. Went under for oral surgery and ended up in the ER with tachycardia. Had heart ablation the next spring, recovered from that. Last month half the tooth just fell out. It's been over two years.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Split a tooth over two years ago. Went under for oral surgery and ended up in the ER with tachycardia. Had heart ablation the next spring, recovered from that. Last month half the tooth just fell out. It's been over two years.
    Well that all stinks.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Not so trivial:

That this Halloween, ghosts and goblins are the least scary things happening.
    A fact I'm sure they're not thrillered about.