Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I question this on multiple levels.
    Yep; I was kind of being sarcastic about it. in a way, my gripe is how the fire marshal thinks it's a matter of education (Implying a large part of the population thinks that way too).

"tell your kids it's dangerous"... They know that already, that's why it's a challenge and a dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "Come on, the saber-toothed tiger is asleep. Go touch it. I dare you to. Double dare! Ung told me she likes you, but she'll only let you drag her out of her cave if you touch the tiger".
    Go for its toes. Unless he hollers.

Spammers.

I really, really, really want to take a tenderizing hammer to their hands.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    And if you wired your own, they knew by the amount of power the ringer drew.
    You needed to disconnect the ringer circuitry to get away with it.
    Yep. "Ringer Equivalency." Once I put in too many extensions (plus modems) and none of them would ring! I had to eliminate a few (the alternative would have been tp pay additional $ to the phone company, I suppose).

Another thing I remember about the old days was that "long distance" calls were a big deal, because they were expensive, and often difficult to hear. When my Grandma got a call from my uncle in another (neighboring) state, everyone in the house had to be absolutely silent.

Even in the offices of the 1970s, you'd hear "Hey, folks, hold it down, I'm on long distance." Everyone would hush in respect and awe over the caller's importance.

Some older folks still act that way. Actually, it's refreshing, because they'll get an interstate conversation over with a minimum of small talk.

I'm seeing a lot of TV commercials for "Be-Active", a quack medical device you strap on your calf to magically cure your back pain. It's supposedly "acupressure" but "quackupressure" is more like it. They even have a "doctor" to endorse it -- who is, of course, a chiropractor. Or, as I refer to them, a chiroquacktor.

These clowns are defrauding gullible people who are in real pain and taking real money. Not trivial.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

"tell your kids it's dangerous"... They know that already, that's why it's a challenge and a dare.
    I guess I'm wrong on this one.
    I just ran into an article where some kid is in the hospital with 2nd degree burns.

Her rationale? "I never saw anyone die from it"

The other day I had to take a folding cutlery set from my younger two kids. It looks like a pocket knife but when you extend the fork and spoon, the whole body separates so you can use the spoon and fork at the same time. Better than a spork, until I realized the there IS a folding knife in the handle of the spoon. We have a half dozen of these things for camping and I never noticed they all had knives. My kids noticed right away.

My daughter received a Nerf crossbow for Christmas. One or two of the darts has a special head that makes it whistle in flight. It also hurts like heck when she shoots you in the face. I did not know this until I accidentally shot myself in the nose with it. I had thought my boys were hamming it up when they complained about her responding to a barrage of Nerf darts with that whistling dart to the face. It also seems to shoot father than the pistols the boys have.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It also seems to shoot father
    Amusing typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Amusing typo.
    My 2 am typing is horrible.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Amusing typo.
    Freud would be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Freud would be amused.
    No, he would take it very seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Freud would be amused.
    "Unt how long have you dreamed about your mutter mit dee Nerf crossbow?"
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Gastroenteritis. Not fun. Just spent the last 24 hours in the emergency room. I think stomach pain is the worst there is. So lucky to have my darling wife; many older folks were alone.

Nurses who make a constant unnecessary noise all night gossiping should have something terrible and career-ending happen to them.

Agreed - gastroenteritis is definitely not fun!

My sympathies, Hlafordlaes.

I had it once, and once was more than enough. Left me weak as a kitten. Drink lots of water!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Was it something you ate? Or norovirus?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Was it something you ate? Or norovirus?
    Bacterial, I imagine, since I was put on antibiotics. Given the state of public healthcare, especially in August, I was lucky enough they did tests and handed out prescriptions on release, but there was little other communication.

But now I'm at home and being smothered in TLC by wife and son (and doggies). Almost makes the whole ordeal worthwhile.

Apparently I have a serious character flaw. I tend to expect that people, especially professionals, will do their jobs in a timely and competent manner. Despite years and years of evidence that this is frequently not the case.

Last Tuesday (this is Sunday), we phoned a prescription refill for my wife into the pharmacy. An important prescription. A VERY important prescription. No refills remained so the pharmacy had to call the doctor for approval, which they did that very day.

On Thursday, on our way out of town, we stopped at the pharmacy. They hadn't heard back yet. She had several days worth of pill left so went on, knowing I would be returning today to perform another errand. Here's where I went wrong: I once again believed that someone at the doctors office would do their job. As you've undoubtedly guessed, they did not.

Stopping at the pharmacy on my way out of town, I found the prescription was not available. No doctor approval. For some Rx's, the pharmacy can advance you some pills. Not for this one, it's controlled. She runs out tonight, and it's a holiday weekend in the US. The clinic doesn't open again until Tuesday.

I called the clinic number, got the answering service, and explained the problem. The phone-answerer was just a phone-answerer, and couldn't do anything but pass me on to Dr. X. Oh wait, Dr. X has gone shopping or something. You'll have to talk to Dr. Y, who's answering the phone for her. There was a brief silence, a ringing at the other end, and suddenly I was talking to another phone-answerer. I had to explain the whole story again. She said Dr. Y had been paged but she'd do it again and give him my number.

Surprisingly, Dr. Y DID call in about 10 minutes. Not surprisingly, he couldn't do anything. At all. He had no access to the records (all computerized) and couldn't order this Rx without seeing the patient. Or something. I pointed out that the whole problem was caused by (large healthcare organization)'s incompetence. He said something about "insulting". I responded with something about "simply factual". He conceded the point and said that I should call again in an hour, when Dr. X would be back from shopping, or whatever. I went home for a nap. (I should have been on a ferry by this time.)

An hour later, my phone rang. It was Dr. Y. Had I called yet? No, just about to. Just as well, Dr. X was still unavailable. He finally gave in and called in a two-day supply. Now we have to call the clinic first thing Tuesday and get them to send a prescription to a pharmacy over here. Dang.

To top it all off we just got a letter from the clinic saying that our doctor, who we generally like, is moving to another state and we have to chose a new one. I'm thinking we'll chose another provider entirely.

Being so tired that you can't fall asleep.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sister writes an e-mail just now, declaring "I hate modern technology!"

A childhood friend of ours died in March. I've created a "Find A Grave" memorial for him. Want to include a photo. She has a photo which would be appropriate, but doesn't have a clue how to get that to me.

So I e-mailed her what steps to take.

She is SO tech avoidant that she still prefers (...get this...) getting the news via newspaper, and I was surprised to see an e-mail from her.

So I wrote her back telling her to quit being tech avoidant and get on board! Good grief, it's the year 2014 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    She is SO tech avoidant that she still prefers (...get this...) getting the news via newspaper
    I'm not tech avoidant, but I do get the newspaper.
    What else would I do with food scraps, especially scooping out a pumpkin (sorry treb, some of us actually do use pumpkins)?
    Or if I'm doing something like painting or gluing something?
    And; what if I get a puppy or parakeet?
    Last but not least, how would I get a fire started in the fireplace?

Last but not least, how would I get a fire started in the fireplace?
    I hear that Amazon makes a newspaper replacement called the kindle

ETA: I still subscribe to the local newspaper. Even though the information is available online, I find the paper format easier to read.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    ETA: I still subscribe to the local newspaper. Even though the information is available online, I find the paper format easier to read.
    Me too. Plus, I get terrible cell phone reception in our restrooms at work, where I do a lot of my newspaper reading.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I haven't bought a newspaper in years, but I miss being able to go right to section three, page two of a familiar one and find just what I'm looking for. It isn't quite the same having to click through eight steps of a hierarchy that's evolving and changing.

I hear that Amazon makes a newspaper replacement called the kindle
    Those are good with the older lithium batteries.

I don't buy the newspaper except when something important happens and I want to have a copy (because I'm a broke college student), but I do read the free copies of local and world papers my university supplies in the College of Communications lobby. And I'm very disappointed our student newspaper has become a weekly and not a Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday paper. But then, I'm old-fashioned.

There was a long commercial last night on one of the various Discovery Communications cable channels proclaiming the wonders of science and learning. These are the folks who brought you Mermaids - The Body Found and Megalodon, along with the recent Sharkageddon. Disgusting. They're doing more to harm the understanding of science than any number of creationists.

I wouldn't even if we could afford the subscription. Our local newspaper is terrible.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I wouldn't even if we could afford the subscription. Our local newspaper is terrible.
    We have two local papers. One is pretty good, while the other is really bad.

...sister somehow managed to get the photo scanned and posted.

Except she posted it upside down on her FB page.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Except she posted it upside down on her FB page.
    <Don Adams voice> Missed it by that much. </Don Adams voice>