Page 62 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 4976

Thread: Some Non-trivial Things That Annoy Me.

Yep..... I know the feeling.

I feel that way every time I floss my teeth. It's so satisfying, I can't fathom why I don't do it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Why the heck do I put off trivial tasks? And let the lack of them being done annoy for extended periods of time?
    I know the feeling.

Last week, a light switch in our dining room quit working. It's (fortunately) stuck in the "on" position, which is good because you can turn it off or back on via a pull chain, so it's still functional, if a bit of a nuisance. The old switch won't stay in the "off" position. Ah well, the switch could easily be 40 years old, so I should get used to replacing these.

I have a new switch, plus all the (few) needed tools assembled, but still haven't done it. As the main light in the room will be necessarily off, I was waiting for a really sunny day, and we haven't had one of those in awhile.

Someone who knows what he's doing could probably accomplish the fix in 5-10 minutes, but I'm nervous about working with electric parts. (I'm a software guy who hates hardware.) Splicing the wires doesn't bother me, but I don't like the idea of cramming the switch assembly back into the tiny wall box. I wish they'd allow more room when they set these things up.

I may have to rig up a lantern or flashlight and get to it.

File under "funny now, but annoying then".

I took my boys camping about this time, two years ago. It was bitter cold and raining. My wife called to tell me that the furnace had died, it took her many tries as the phone service was spotty.

She packed the cats and our daughter up to go to her mom's. She had decided that the boys and I should stay at camp. My wife was fine staying with her mom for two days, but little did she know family drama was brewing on the horizon. It turns out her sister and her children also showed up at mom's house under very different and angry circumstances. A bad time was had by all. Of course, my wife did not call me back to let me know this was happening, she toughed it out.

When I returned and heard of all of drama, I felt really bad about staying at camp. As I ran out for a new igniter for the furnace, I remembered the flower shop around the corner and decided that my wife needed flowers after this kerfuffle. The parts shop was just one block from my house and the flower shop was one block in the other direction. Easy, right?

The heating and cooling parts shop had closed and moved, no further information was supplied by the sign. So my adventure began. Google didn't know where they had moved to, so I had to try two or three different shops. Having done this before, I was armed with the broken igniter, the name of the furnace and photos of the set up. 3 shops later, I had my part. An hour after that, the furnace was fixed.

My wife was happy and I declared that I needed a beer to celebrate*. Of course, this was cover to go to the flower shop. I was stunned to discover that the heating and cooling parts shop had moved next door the flower shop. Palm face.

*I need to change this excuse, I don't drink beer much. It works as an excuse to go out because several times we have discovered amazingly old and possibly deadly beer in the fridge.
    Solfe

Which just proves the old adage, always buy flowers for the wife first. Everything else comes second.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Graham has never bought me flowers. He isn't going to be buying me a Valentine's present (anniversary, maybe, but I won't hold my breath), and I bought him Ant-Man, because he'd rather we not celebrate it at all, and at least Ant-Man is something we can agree on. He's not the most romantic guy in the world, is what I'm saying. He never would have found that store.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I threatened to get Mrs. M that giant teddy bear they've been advertising.
    She strongly implied that such would be grounds for justifiable homicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Graham has never bought me flowers. He isn't going to be buying me a Valentine's present (anniversary, maybe, but I won't hold my breath), and I bought him Ant-Man, because he'd rather we not celebrate it at all, and at least Ant-Man is something we can agree on. He's not the most romantic guy in the world, is what I'm saying. He never would have found that store.
    I've not bought my wife a Valentine's card. The kitties, however, have appointed me as their proxy to get her one. I have to edit all the references to "from the cat" to "from the cats" and such.

I'm not sure if this is trivial or non-trivial. We fairly recently bought a new, and rather expensive car. For which we had to wait a couple of months to get the navigation system. The old car had a nav system made by Honda, this one is by Garmin. It gets lost, when starting out. For about five minutes this afternoon, it had us in the right town, but going at about 90 degrees to our actual course. We paid at least a grand for that thing. And it pops up an ad saying it's out of date and I should go to Garmin.com and get an update. The car is brand new. I'm going tell the dealer about this and insist they fix it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Why the heck do I put off trivial tasks? And let the lack of them being done annoy for extended periods of time?

This afternoon I was out in the workshop starting on sorting out my catapulting gear and tools. That's not the trivial task. There's a lot of it, it gets severely disordered during the season, and this ua about four months earlier than I've ever started before. What's really annoying was that about halfway through I glanced toward the clock in the shop. Which was stopped. Just like it's been for probably a year now, and has been annoying me for the same period of time. Today I went and got a battery, put it in, and set the clock. Elapased time, about two minutes. So why has it take me a year? Dang.
    Woo-Hoo! Today I replaced the doorknob from the kitchen to the mud room. For which I've had the replacement about a year. That, of course, was a MUCH larger task than the clock battery, requiring all of 30 minutes, a could of screwdrivers, and even the cordless drill to open up a hole slightly. And then I went out and put a "strongtie" screw in the cracked frame of my broken catapult. That involved THREE different drill bits and a socket! It went well, so I did two more. And then I went and took the old garage door opener track apart.

All this was after the cat-mandated nap, at a time when I would previously have been having a glass of wine and salty-fatty snack.

Sorry for the totally off-topic post, which should be in the "makes you happy" thread.

They've been remodeling the office of my apartment complex. Putting in walls to divide the office from the "cabana," the part you can reserve to have parties. Which is great! Of course, it's just now gotten the new furniture, despite the fact that the manager had allowed me to reserve it for my birthday party in early December, expecting it to be done by then. (It wasn't even close.) She told me to go ahead and reserve it for my Oscar party Sunday, because it would be all done, and they'd be getting cable. Found out today that they didn't put in a cable jack, and while they might have one installed at some point, it won't be before Sunday.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I gave a friend a ride home tonight. It has been sheeting down rain, and she lives in the middle of nowhere. It's about half an hour each way. We headed out at about 9:30, and several times on the road, we were hydroplaning or near to. We got passed repeatedly. Then on the way home, someone spent something like five or ten miles driving too close to me. Not quite tailgating, but definitely not enough stopping distance. Then, when I got off the freeway by my apartment, someone sped past me in the right-turn lane so they could pass.

"You can't erase icing."

Alas, some people just won't alter their driving habits, no matter what the conditions, and they resent it when you do so.

The key point is, you made it home alive.

And that belongs in the Non-Trivial Stuff That Make Me Happy thread.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

The key point is, you made it home alive.

And that belongs in the Not So Trivial Stuff That Makes You Happy thread.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

a point jim thought was so imprtant he had to repeat it.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Huh. It didn't take the first time, so I edited the thread name and tried again.

Not non-trivial, but annoying.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I often think.... " The junk yards are full of "Over anxious" and down right foolish drivers that just can't get to the emergency room fast enough.....and the crusher.
    " How about dinner and a movie? " ....."No ! I have to get my car crushed , and I just have to see what's on the inside of that ambulance. I'm dying to find out."

That's about it, folks.

I would be happier with a happy medium. I'm all for prudence but I'm also irked by those who take timidity into the realm of stupidity. I'm extreeeeeemely annoyed by the folks who don't know how to merge with highway traffic. On a frequent basis and without exaggeration, I've seen several merge into a 60-65 mph flow at about 45 mph. I'm often stuck behind one of these yahoos on my on-ramp and I really have to lay back in order to give myself room to accelerate smoothly. Then they merge without any apparent thought the traffic behind them.

Their driving is like turtles mating. It's slow, it's awkward, and nobody wants it happening right in front of them.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I would be happier with a happy medium. I'm all for prudence but I'm also irked by those who take timidity into the realm of stupidity. I'm extreeeeeemely annoyed by the folks who don't know how to merge with highway traffic. On a frequent basis and without exaggeration, I've seen several merge into a 60-65 mph flow at about 45 mph. I'm often stuck behind one of these yahoos on my on-ramp and I really have to lay back in order to give myself room to accelerate smoothly. Then they merge without any apparent thought the traffic behind them.

Their driving is like turtles mating. It's slow, it's awkward, and nobody wants it happening right in front of them.
    Yes.

I've even had people come to a full stop at the end of an on-ramp, even when there is a Yield sign and even when there was no problem with merging into traffic.

But my favorites are when we get a little snow. You'll have a few people on the freeway, going 30 or 35 MPH, when the safe speed for the conditions would be 50 or 55 MPH. And they'll be driving a giant SUV in the middle lane at this pace. Invariably, when I pass them, I'll note that they are talking on the cell phone. If you are that scared of snow, then get in the right lane, with both hands on the wheel!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Idiots who stop on the ramp should be reported to state police. Very dangerous fools. We need more public service spots on television illustrating this. Desperately !!!!

Another death in the family, another funeral to go to. My wife's cousin once-removed. I'm really tired of people dying around us. It comes with the territory, of course, at our age but that doesn't make it easy.

I've been in a prolonged bubble of no family deaths. I know it's only a matter of time, especially as my own parents are in their 80s and are among the younger of their siblings. There is also a generation gap between my siblings (and me) and my first cousins, so many of them are now retirement age. I think it's been affecting me more than I realized until just now.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I began spraying shellac in my temporary spray booth yesterday. I had no problems with the shellac but while cleaning the gun with denatured alcohol, I got a strong odor of it in spite of the respirator. Dang. I wasn't getting a good seal around my goatee...which, from my experience with chemical warfare gear, I expected. Dang. Since I don't want dain bramage from the fumes, I bared my chin naked today. It hasn't had an unfiltered breeze on it in many years. Dang. At least I still have my handlebar.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I've been in a prolonged bubble of no family deaths. I know it's only a matter of time, especially as my own parents are in their 80s and are among the younger of their siblings. There is also a generation gap between my siblings (and me) and my first cousins, so many of them are now retirement age. I think it's been affecting me more than I realized until just now.
    I'm there, too. Mom's 75. One of her brothers died last year, but it's the one I didn't like, so it hasn't bothered me. A lot of my cousins are in their fifties. My dad's sister is older than Mom. I'm holding onto the awareness that my grandparents all lived into their 80s and 90s.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes.

I've even had people come to a full stop at the end of an on-ramp, even when there is a Yield sign and even when there was no problem with merging into traffic.
    I got stuck behind someone who didn't come to a full stop but who did 25 during the entire length of the on-ramp, then moved not just onto the interstate-class highway but into the second and left-hand lane, still doing 25. Fortunately I was no longer behind them at that point (I stayed in the merge lane to take the next off-ramp), but they almost got rear-ended by someone already on the highway who had to panic brake to keep from ending up in their back seat.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

These people haven't heard of "relative speed" !!!!

I first learned to drive in a 1979 Toyota Corolla. Then I switched to a motorcycle. Motorcycle drivers come in two forms - those who are conservative and will live a long time and those who aren't and won't. Before owning the bike, I was an accident waiting to happen. I am a much better driver for that experience.

My wife is vaguely amused by the fact that she knows I can be crazy aggressive behind the wheel, but simply won't do it because I have her and the kids in the minivan. She must think that I drive like a maniac when no one is watching. I don't.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2016-Mar-05 at 05:07 AM.
    Solfe

Sometime last month I’m visiting Orlando. I’m turning from a secondary road to a bigger one, and I’m in the designated left turn lane, behind the designated line, waiting for my green arrow to light.

I see a big truck (the hinged kind with the cab and trailer) to my left, waiting to make a right turn into the other lane of my road. He gets his light and moves into the intersection. I see this monstrosity ready to bear down upon me, knowing there’s no way it will be able to sneak past me on my left. Not absent a miracle.

Fortunately, there were no cars behind me. I was able to carefully-but-swiftly back up and back up, maybe half a block, which permitted this moron to make his turn.

As he drove by, he shouted “Thanks!” I roared back “Don’t do that again!!”

All’s well that ends well, but I hope that guy is taught a lesson somehow.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2016-Mar-05 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Corrected left-right.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Sometime last month I’m visiting Orlando. I’m turning from a secondary road to a bigger one, and I’m in the designated left turn lane, behind the designated line, waiting for my green arrow to light.

I see a big truck (the hinged kind with the cab and trailer) to my left, waiting to make his left turn into the other lane of my road. He gets his light and moves into the intersection. I see this monstrosity ready to bear down upon me, knowing there’s no way it will be able to sneak past me on my left. Not absent a miracle.

Fortunately, there were no cars behind me. I was able to carefully-but-swiftly back up and back up, maybe half a block, which permitted this moron to make his turn.

As he drove by, he shouted “Thanks!” I roared back “Don’t do that again!!”

All’s well that ends well, but I hope that guy is taught a lesson somehow.
    I'm confused. If the truck was coming from your left, and making a left turn, you wouldn't be in his way...?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I had to take evasive action yesterday to avoid running over a bicyclist who was paying no attention and drifting back and forth across the road. No helmet. And, of course, earbuds to distract his attention and prevent him hearing traffic.