Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamland

Last night I rode a bicycle (which started as a car, and for a while was propelled by some sort of hand levers) out to where some folks were building and testing trebuchets on a site where the army had been testing, and left behind, a large number of large caliber cannons. During which I invented two or three new types of hurling engines, none of which I remember. The latter is most likely A Good Thing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Finally a good dream.

I'm not in a hobby shop--but in some university research lab. White coats walking around.

But they are selling 3D models in nice boxes. One box was a foot tall, but all of six feet long, and had hundreds of little model kits, and a scaled down AMT Enterprise at one end.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2017-Jan-20 at 08:30 PM.

Ugh. I have been taking a one semester history course compressed down to the time between Jan. 3 to Jan. 20. We meet Monday through Friday for 3 hours (plus one hour of study group.) It's terrible.

And it has started to show up in my dreams. Last night, I dreamt that I was taking a full semester political science class compressed into a 3 day weekend of 9 hour long classes. To make matters worse, the class was not on a campus but in a small, cramped apartment off of Main Street, in Buffalo NY.

Day one was a mess. My best friend was taking the class with me. My friend is very smart, but you get the sense that he is mocking you all the time, because he knows more than you. Clearly not the person you want in a Poli Sci class. We took a test, wrote a paper with no advanced notice.

Day two had degenerate into name calling and accusations among the students and teachers. Of course, the testing and paper writing was continued. When I got out of class, my wife insisted that we go to the mall. I didn't want to go because I needed to study. I ended up in the mall parking lot. A small plane belly landed in the parking lot and I called 911. My wife is terrified of planes and ended up needing to be hospitalized due to the experience.

The next day, I show up to class with the intention of dropping out or withdrawing OR failing both those, I was simply not completing this class and would be happy with whatever consequences that happened. I was not so lucky. The teacher had been accused of several things by some of the students on the previous day, and had been removed. There was a note explaining that I would be teaching and proctoring the final exam. I needed to write the exam before the last two hours of class. On top of this, I had a list of complaints leveled at the former teacher and some advice not to antagonize these people. Of course, I could see the complaints, but did not know which student said what. I was navigating a minefield.

I tried to escape, but could not find an exit from the building.

Talk about a pile up of classic dream logic. Remind me never to take another January term class.
    Solfe

Awful. Like dreaming you are at work--wking up--then actually having to go to work. I've been there.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    I very clearly remember a dream from about 30 years ago. I was working (real life) on a simple but very detailed CAD drawing. Days of dropping leader lines & text in just the right place. I dreamed I'd finished up, and woke up after forgetting to save the work. Made the next 3 days of working on that monster a real drag. Although I did 'save' a lot...

I trained myself over the years, after a few painful experiences, to associate thinking "There, that looks good!" with "Hit Save". Now that I'm learning Sketchup that will probably come in handy.

Oddly, when I dream of engineering, it always seems to be pencil on a drawing board. Perhaps because I can never remember how to log onto the computer.

Today marks 8 years since I retired. Naturally, last night I had a dream about my office and old colleagues.

When I have office dreams, I always know the people, but when I wake up I usually realize they were complete figments. The actual office surroundings are never like any place I actually worked, either. I often find Boeing has turned major portions of their office buildings into shopping malls.

Lately, within a month, the appearance especially of my dreams has noticeably changed. Each is very lucid, including *touch* sensation. And colors are bolder, richer (think going from 1990s regular TV to Technicolor).
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

How about nested or compound dreams. Recently I was dreaming about being in some sort of bizarre predicament from which I awakened to find myself lying in my bed. I got up and walked into another room with some visitors in it and then realized I was buck naked. Then I awakened for real.

That's the second time I see this thread and somehow think "oh no, WWIII has started!", only to remember that operation Dreamland was part of a book.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    How about nested or compound dreams. Recently I was dreaming about being in some sort of bizarre predicament from which I awakened to find myself lying in my bed. I got up and walked into another room with some visitors in it and then realized I was buck naked. Then I awakened for real.
    I had one similar where I dreamed I was late for work. And woke up twice in the dream and once for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Lately, within a month, the appearance especially of my dreams has noticeably changed. Each is very lucid, including *touch* sensation. And colors are bolder, richer (think going from 1990s regular TV to Technicolor).
    I've had those. I could feel cloth--feel gravel under my feet.

I had another bookstore type dream.

It was at a yard sale of a lady with teens in her home. I think she had to move out.

The home was very large--and looked as if it had once been part of a school with shelves.

Old aerospace books and magazines from the 1950's and 1980s. She was shutting down the yard sale. Tomorrow the books would be five cents each. I woke up and that tomorrow never came.

I've been having very odd nightmare/rockstar dreams. These things are obviously nightmare material but somehow I manage to navigate them with style and confidence. I am not exactly sure what that is all about. It is one part cool, one part disconcerting.

Normally, I am a lucid dreamer and can wake up at will, so these are very strange dreams. Usually my lucidity is limited to making small changes, waking up OR opening my eyes to confirm that I am actually asleep and dreaming. The last item is a little weird to explain because it sounds like I must be awake but I am not. When I dream I can't read, the letters move or change. (If I ever dream that I am reading, I always see myself from the outside turning the pages of a book. I may know what is in the book as a complete idea or a memory, but I can't read words.)

My wife's bedroom* has sayings painted on the walls but I can only see them if I sit up in bed. This was a design element that was done on purpose. My wife didn't believe in lucid dreaming. She certainly didn't believe that anyone could move or talk while sleeping or dreaming, but since I have to sit up to see the writing and can respond, it is close enough to proof. When I am asleep, I can't read the saying I painted on the wall**, even if I can sit up and talk.

For whatever reason, I can't seem to wake up from these nightmares, but I can open my eyes and confirm I am dreaming. Weird.

*I don't mess around, it's bright pink, dark brown and very girly. It isn't my room at all, even if I decorated it myself.
    **For the record, the three sayings are: "Together is our favorite place to be.", "Always kiss me good night." and "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood."
    Solfe

When I dream about driving the route makes no real sense. I am suppose driving to on destination but the road I am driving on is a road that goes completely somewhere else.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    When I dream about driving the route makes no real sense. I am suppose driving to on destination but the road I am driving on is a road that goes completely somewhere else.
    When I dream about driving, it's not just the route that makes no sense. Just last night, the car somehow became a bicycle.

Most dreams about driving I almost have accidents. The other night I dreamt the word turned to six lanes and there was oncoming traffic in the next lane and I was in the lane the far right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When I dream about driving, it's not just the route that makes no sense. Just last night, the car somehow became a bicycle.
    yeah, I've had similar several times. I'm driving along and gradually the vehicle downsizes, and I end up with some odd contraption with an engine and one wheel...it's sort of disempowering.

I read years ago that one couldn't read in dreams, and sice then I've gradually been able to. Just last week, I fell asleep on the sofa, but kept on reading stuff on forums. I can't remember what I read, but it was like I just carried on as if I were awake, and I definitely was reading stuff.

Another dream. This time I had a robot body and was trying to cope--a dream or two about space I can't remember well.

About 4 weeks ago I had a dream I can't out of my skull. I was in this room with my grandfather and his younger brother and there were others in the room. We were all hooked up to some medical devices and there was a therapy. After few moments my great uncle disappeared and then me and grandfather were just sitting on those benches or whatever doctors tell patients to sit on.
    My and my grandfather were almost like father and son. Not super close to his younger nut he lived nearby and saw regular enough. When My grandfather was ill and I needed to move my stuff from school for the summer he came and got me, I had pay gas money of course. They both had different versions of the same disease at different times. I just hope this isn't something in me telling me I have same thing.

This morning I had a really good dream. I was working late in an office in the physics building at UNB at turned of the lights and saw all the lights were off. They sky kind of looked like an aurora but then these straight lined figures of frogs and other animals appeared in the sky, a horse made out the straight laser beam like things ran down along the road.

I met some friends for drinks last night and we ended up talking about recurring school dreams. My friend was saying that his father-in-law, who graduated university in the early 70s, still has those, 'I missed my exam,' dreams. I am currently a student so it's no surprise that I have school dreams. I kind of like that feeling of waking up from a terror filled nightmare with monsters or scary people, heart thumping out of my chest and thinking, thank goodness it was just a dream. I had the worst kind, though, the other night. In my dream, I was signing up for spring semester classes and my advisor told me that Chemistry 03 was added to the curriculum and I had to take the class. It wasn't organic chemistry, though, just a more difficult class than Chem 02. I know organic chem is harder than chem 02 but in my dream, this was the argument I was having with my advisor. I kept saying, I don't need organic chemistry for astrophysics and he kept saying, it's not organic. I was crying and really started wondering if the degree was worth it. When ever people talk about the school dreams, I always think of this clip from Top Secret. Sorry for the ad but it still cracks me up

My reoccurring dreams are typically tornadoes or massive waves. School dreams were relatively rare but the dreams that gave me the same feeling as the missed test or forgot to wear pants, are that I am back working in a restaurant and a table was sat in my section. I keep trying to get out there to greet them but I keep getting side-tracked. Then I get the sinking feeling, "Oh my goodness, they've been waiting for an hour. They are going to complain about me and I'm going to get fired." I haven't worked as a server since '05.

I also graduated in the early '70's and also still have those dreams. Since I retired, however, they've been largely replaced by similar ones about work. Often realizing I haven't been turning in my time cards or getting paid.

The room that the dream took place was the physics society room I slept on the couch on a few occasions. Most of the dreams I have about school is talking to people in the a hallway or getting lost in a hallway.

" Oh....Coleman !!! Thank goodness it was only a dream. ...... "

from " Trading places " .

I had a REALLY unusual one last night.

I was back in school. Again. And had an important class to go to. Again. So I looked up the location, made my way to it, found a good seat, and took notes on the lecture. Even more unusually, I was out in public but fully dressed.

I woke up and thought "Wow, I've got to post about this!" So here it is.

ETA: I just told my wife this story and she was surprised I sometimes dream of being out in public undressed. I though everyone did that.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Jan-16 at 05:07 PM.

Yep, out in public or in some school or job , less than proper clothes ...or no tools or...
    no plans . Or.... no food truck , coffee etc . Dreams don't make sense . They just aggravate nerves sometimes . It's nice when you get a " nice dream " .

I dreamed that I gave my sister an ultimatum about either showing up to Irene's birthday party tomorrow or else just not keeping in contact with us anymore. Gee, do you think it means anything?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well happy birthday Irene.
    Frustration with siblings, no nothing like that around here.