Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shame on you baut.

Thumbs down Shame on you baut.

Namely for changing your name. And secondly for offering a money costing app every time I visit your site on mobile. Boo Js..

Chunky,

You might as well get used to the new name. It's here to stay...unless it changes again. (Remember, it wasn't always BAUT.)

As for the notice about the Tapatalk app, CosmoQuest does not own, produce, sell, or otherwise control the app. CQ simply uses it to offer members a more convenient way of accessing the forum from mobile devices.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Chunky,
    It's here to stay...unless it changes again. (Remember, it wasn't always BAUT.)

Chunky is right imo..

BAUT was before my time but the name is more intriguing imo. the current name is lame.

btw..this is the second forum I know of with name issues

my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
    Namely for changing your name.
    You could, as PetersCreek suggests, get used to the name.

Or you could, like me, spent much less time here than you used to. Names are important, and have a bearing on content. If the name is lame (as CosmoQuest certainly is) the people who have something interesting to say are likely to be less enthusiastic about saying it there.

I hadn't really thought about it much, but I suppose it isn't a great name. Maybe we could suggest something better. Changing the name would entail some cost but if it's really better I'm sure they would consider it.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it much, but I suppose it isn't a great name. Maybe we could suggest something better. Changing the name would entail some cost but if it's really better I'm sure they would consider it.
    It won't happen. When they changed the name to the current name, they ignored vehement opposition. Sometimes when someone is doing something obviously wrong, they have to ignore everyone who is telling them it is obviously wrong.

OH get over it, did you stop eating raider after it was renamed twix?

BAUT did not change its name, it was merged with something else (sort of similar as when BaBb an UT got together to make BAUT)
    Furthermore, CQ (and yes i also did not really fancy that name) generously took up BAUT and is now actually paying for it so Fraser does not carry all the costs personally.
    And although it took off with a bumpy start, I think we are now physically at a better place with the current build team, which is working hard now at getting all the kinks out.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    OH get over it,
    Why should I? Names are important. I used to be proud to be part of both Bad Astronomy and BAUT. Now it's just somewhere I visit when nothing interesting is happening on FaceBook. Not just because of the name; I feel the place has changed as a result of the changing vibe.

did you stop eating raider after it was renamed twix?
    I have no idea what this means.

At the time of the change to CosmoQuest, it was stated that
    the new name was the best available option, that essentially
    nothing could be done about, it was set in stone. I predicted
    that within ten years the name will have to change again, at
    a cost which will significantly exceed the cost of changing it
    up front. I'm sticking with that prediction.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    did you stop eating raider after it was renamed twix?
    I have no idea what this means.
    Twix chocolate bars. From Wikipedia:
    Twix was called Raider in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey for many years before its name was changed in 1991 (2000 in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Turkey) to match the international brand name.
    So if you don't live in one of those countries you'd never know what a Raider bar was.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

I get to this forum by clicking the forum link at the top of Universe Today. I think so little about the name of the forum that when I saw the OP for this thread I had to stop for a moment to try and recall the name. It is interesting to me that there are people who do care. As others above have said, changing the name at this point is not a very practical ambition. It may happen in the unforeseen future, but not because we want to change the name.
    Forming opinions as we speak

I've adapted completely to the new name and the minor changes in how it works, but I do miss the new topics and posts of people who now come here rarely or not at all. I got windows 8 in August and I suspect windows 8 is most of the problems.
    answers.yahoo is a disaster compared to cosmoquest. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilzero View Post
    ...I do miss the new topics and posts of people who now come here rarely or not at all.
    I certainly miss JayUtah's insightful posts...DJellison was a valuable source of "insider" information.

...I think we are now physically at a better place with the current build team, which is working hard now at getting all the kinks out.

That is your opinion...my opinion is that the build team doesn't have a clue what they are doing, and it shows by the long delays in getting anything done.

Now there's no "shame" there, but please don't try to tell us that everything here is "hunky dory"...it simply is not.

Furthermore, CQ (and yes i also did not really fancy that name) generously took up BAUT and is now actually paying for it so Fraser does not carry all the costs personally.
    In my experience, when someone "pays" for something, they do not "ask" for donations to help pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    That is your opinion...my opinion is that the build team doesn't have a clue what they are doing, and it shows by the long delays in getting anything done.

Now there's no "shame" there, but please don't try to tell us that everything here is "hunky dory"...it simply is not.
    So what's your plan for running it? Have you organized a better team or do you have a plan for organizing it? I'm happy to listen.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    So what's your plan for running it? Have you organized a better team or do you have a plan for organizing it? I'm happy to listen.
    No, I have no "better" ideas. Does that mean I can not complain?, because that is the impression I get from your post.

If people get snarky at each other, this thread will be closed.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I certainly miss JayUtah's insightful posts...DJellison was a valuable source of "insider" information.
    I don't recall seeing Jay around here for a quite a while before the merger.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I don't recall seeing Jay around here for a quite a while before the merger.
    And he has posted since the merger, usually for Moon Landing Hoax believers, and sometimes for UFO believers. We seem to get a lot less of those then we used to.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'm glad the name was changed. When I talk to husband or a friend about this forum, it's simply "CosmoQuest," instead of the long and clunky "Bad Astronomy/Universe Today," which you then had to explain how that name came about.

Neither "Bad Astronomy" nor "BAUT" are satisfactory names,
    in my opinion. But if it was going to change, it should have
    changed to something better, not something worse.

The name "CosmoQuest" doesn't grate on me or bother me.
    It just is another poor name which is so inappropriate that
    eventually its owners will decide they have to change it.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I like Doug Ellison, but he left before the merger. You can see his useful insider insights at his forum unmannedspaceflight.com

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    I like Doug Ellison, but he left before the merger.
    Doug's last post here was 7 months ago...well AFTER the merger...

Doug's last post here was 7 months ago...well AFTER the merger...
    Alright, I stand corrected. I still recommend his site for information about space probes.

I thought Doug, as well some others of us, left because we felt the moderation was becoming too precious and was beginning to stifle debate and conversation. I thought his initial public leaving was before the merger (as was mine). If he came back in some capacity after that, I can't say. The merger certainly dampened my enthusiasm for returning, but I've re-framed how I see the Forum and what I expect from it, so it's been a bit easier to ease into posting again. But I have a lot less to say and am far less relevant than someone like Jay or Doug.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

I have felt a bit paranoid about the moderation also, but I am posting more often to compensate for the many who post less, or perhaps many is wrong and little has changed with cosmoquest. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilzero View Post
    I have felt a bit paranoid about the moderation also, but I am posting more often to compensate for the many who post less, or perhaps many is wrong and little has changed with cosmoquest. Neil
    The site has needed more moderation. We have had far more ATM stuff creeping into other forums, more wild speculation and more bad behaviour. If there had not been an uptick in moderation I would have left by now.

I don't like the name CosmoQuest, it sounds like a pre-teen space learning game.

There are still some interesting conversations, and I have learned to ignore those who seem to want to post things merely to start an argument rather than engage in a meaningful debate.

I get a lot out of some of the members responses who actually work at NASA or other similar organizations, or know a heck of a lot more about me than science.

Quote Originally Posted by iquestor View Post
    I don't like the name CosmoQuest, it sounds like a pre-teen space learning game.

There are still some interesting conversations, and I have learned to ignore those who seem to want to post things merely to start an argument rather than engage in a meaningful debate.

I get a lot out of some of the members responses who actually work at NASA or other similar organizations, or know a heck of a lot more about me than science.
    That's a bit creepy