Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Forum foulup, redux

Quote Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
    JavaScript, not Java, big difference

ETA: well, maybe you also know Java as well, but this here is JavaScript
    That does not change the fact that a Hangouts calendar is clearly misplaced.

I am losing large posts when previewing them before posting. Short ones are OK but is it is more than about four or five lines the message disappears from the editing field after the preview. This has been going on for quite a while. If I were a contractor providing software for a commercial customer and I did not fix something like this in a reasonable amount of time I probably would be fired.

MissArray was dismissed as forum liaison on Thursday, October 10, but has continued to pretend to be such even so. I've suspended her for one month at Pamela's direction to prevent her from continuing to do so. We are currenlty in the process of finding a replacement.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Then what has Nicole been doing, and why just a month? Shouldn't that be a bannable offense?
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Then what has Nicole been doing, and why just a month? Shouldn't that be a bannable offense?
    Nicole has been helping out. We're looking for someone to take the position over the long-term. And Pamela did not want to take permanent action against MissArray at this point.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Well, message received and understood ..
    There's nothing more to say, really ..
    Cheers

I'm the pinch hitter, if I got my sportsballl analogy correct.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Webroot is thinking about the site still and will probably get to it by tomorrow or Tuesday. To give details about the hacking a few weeks ago, there was an exploit involving the vbulletin install directory that let people basically act as admins. I removed the directory, but they had added a few things that we didn't notice. They made four major changes to my knowledge. There was a hacking tool reachable through some help menus that made exploiting the install directory easier (but useless after that directory was deleted). There were two other tools involving the vbulletin subscriptions feature, which we don't use. They also added a hidden popup into the front page. Two sites were in the popus, crisisx and hostgator. It seems like they had hacked into crisisx.com to use that as a tool for other sites, but I don't know what exactly it was supposed to do. They could maybe set up a nasty page on that site, and make people unknowingly go there with those hidden popups and get the nasty things. I don't know if anyone was affected by it or not. I think hostgator was linked purely for money, not further hacks. I've used hostgator before, and you can make considerable money by referencing people to their site.

I'm putting a strong emphasis on getting the forum working this week. Some of the issues seem pretty rough though, so I'll do what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I am losing large posts when previewing them before posting. Short ones are OK but is it is more than about four or five lines the message disappears from the editing field after the preview. This has been going on for quite a while. If I were a contractor providing software for a commercial customer and I did not fix something like this in a reasonable amount of time I probably would be fired.
    Did you have any quotes in your posts? I've heard other people having quote issues, but you're the only one I've heard of with just text going away. Either way, it's always smart to copy the text before submitting in a forum. It's rare to find one that won't gobble up your text occasionally, whether through disconnection or taking too long to submit the post. I'll see what I can do to fix the problem. Thankfully I'm really in no way related to the job you described except for the word "software", so I won't be fired if I can't figure it out soon, but I'll try to figure it out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower
    ... but you're the only one I've heard of with just text going away.
    Its not just the text that disappears ... everything disappears!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Either way, it's always smart to copy the text before submitting in a forum.
    After the text disappears, if one pastes back in the clipboard copy one has wisely kept .... for some strange reason, the text window then does not convert the copied text to the forum default font (and color) formats. It appends the browser default font (and color) formats as a header to the text which was just pasted. To get back to the forum default format, one has to manually delete the inserted font (and colour) headers using the "A/A" editing button. Once the erroneous header has been deleted, this strange behaviour does not return during multiple subsequent 'Preview Post' operations .. ie: it happens only once .. in the next operation straight after the text goes missing.

(I hope that's clear?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Webroot is thinking about the site still and will probably get to it by tomorrow or Tuesday. To give details about the hacking a few weeks ago, there was an exploit involving the vbulletin install directory that let people basically act as admins. I removed the directory, but they had added a few things that we didn't notice. They made four major changes to my knowledge. There was a hacking tool reachable through some help menus that made exploiting the install directory easier (but useless after that directory was deleted). There were two other tools involving the vbulletin subscriptions feature, which we don't use. They also added a hidden popup into the front page. Two sites were in the popus, crisisx and hostgator. It seems like they had hacked into crisisx.com to use that as a tool for other sites, but I don't know what exactly it was supposed to do. They could maybe set up a nasty page on that site, and make people unknowingly go there with those hidden popups and get the nasty things. I don't know if anyone was affected by it or not. I think hostgator was linked purely for money, not further hacks. I've used hostgator before, and you can make considerable money by referencing people to their site.

I'm putting a strong emphasis on getting the forum working this week. Some of the issues seem pretty rough though, so I'll do what I can.

Did you have any quotes in your posts? I've heard other people having quote issues, but you're the only one I've heard of with just text going away. Either way, it's always smart to copy the text before submitting in a forum. It's rare to find one that won't gobble up your text occasionally, whether through disconnection or taking too long to submit the post. I'll see what I can do to fix the problem. Thankfully I'm really in no way related to the job you described except for the word "software", so I won't be fired if I can't figure it out soon, but I'll try to figure it out this week.
    In my testing I was copying from a word processor draft, and pasting progressively larger chunks until the system malfunctioned when previewing. It happened regardless of whether or not there were quotes in it.

Since this problem started happening I have been making sure I had a copy outside the forum so I would not lose my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    In my testing I was copying from a word processor draft, and pasting progressively larger chunks until the system malfunctioned when previewing. It happened regardless of whether or not there were quotes in it.

Since this problem started happening I have been making sure I had a copy outside the forum so I would not lose my work.
    I haven't tried testing larger and larger amounts of text to observe the results, however, the deletion does appear to occur at random times during post composition.

The system can also revert to normal behaviour during a post in which text has been originally deleted. (Ie: the pasted text can actually be 'remembered' sometimes .. and is not deleted with successive 'preview post' operations. I've observed this behaviour occurring during a given posting which takes a long time to compose). Mostly however, once the text has been deleted, that behaviour persists during a post which takes a 'normal' duration to compose (ie: once its been zapped, it generally won't remember the text .. but not always).

Did something change between noon and 5 pm Eastern time today? I lost the ability to access most of the site on my old macs. I can access threads in my history and the usercp.php page. My browser crashes when click any links in the red tool bar above.

I've been using this system and browser for years, in fact I posted this morning using it. This afternoon clicking links causes a "Type 2"* error. This is OS 9 and Classilla 9.3.2 (very old). I don't know if this rates looking at due to the age of these systems.

*Edited - A Type 2 error is software incompatibility with <insert thing here>. Not exactly helpful, I know.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2013-Oct-22 at 01:32 AM.
    Solfe

And if they're looking for something reproducible to solve, there's the post-reporting issue.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Two more issues I've asked about before but got no reply on,
    that I'm not sure made your list... But I'll wait until the current
    stuff is straightened out before specifying them again.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And if they're looking for something reproducible to solve, there's the post-reporting issue.
    As far as I am concerned, there the problem only seems to be that it takes a rather long time for the screen to go back to the original page, nerving, but it does work. But it might be nice to get the waiting time reduced.

Now changed to "go advanced" and that seems to work too. Nothing disappeared (for me).
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I think this one is important too.
    Solfe

My tests of previewing large posts this morning showed no problems. If this means a bug was fixed I heartily thank the troubleshooters for a job well done. If the problem recurs later I will report it accordingly.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    As far as I am concerned, there the problem only seems to be that it takes a rather long time for the screen to go back to the original page, nerving, but it does work. But it might be nice to get the waiting time reduced.

Now changed to "go advanced" and that seems to work too. Nothing disappeared (for me).
    I had the same problem with the "go advanced" function the other day too. I have used the "go advanced" before (I mean after all of the foul-ups started) and it worked until two days ago.

Then, just a couple of minutes ago, I tried again and lo and behold, it worked fine.

Now, the reason I've started this is to observe that, throughout this thread, users have complained about stuff not working, then stuff working again, then stuff not working again, then stuff working again, etc., etc,.

I am not a software engineer, but I have been fixing computers for over 35 years and I have studied some programming and I have to make the observation that it appears that the problems we have been fighting the last few months may be caused by some instability in either the software (most likely) or the hardware.

Has anyone looked into this angle to the problem?
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Did something change between noon and 5 pm Eastern time today? I lost the ability...
    I discover this is on my end. ScriptStop is causing this and when I turn it off, everything works. Sorry for the false report.
    Solfe

Just now I attempted to reply with quote to this post:
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...71#post2164471
    and for the first time in something like four or five or
    six weeks, the text failed to show up in the edit box.
    I tried again, same thing. The post I tried to reply to
    is by Solfe.

-- Jeff in Minneapolis

Years ago when using a DLL written by an online acquaintence
    in a programming forum, I found that the DLL always correctly
    displayed JPEG images unless the image was an exact multiple
    of 256 bytes wide, in which case the program always crashed.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

1. I haven't been able to find solutions to these problems. I'm going to try overriding vbulletin files with the latest version and see if that fixes any of them. Since people are seeing positive results before I did anything, I suspect the fairy godserver is playing with us, though I will gladly accept praise for her actions.

2. Server should be significantly faster. You may have to refresh your cache to see the results. Though I've said this many times, I believe this time I've really done it. ----- Long techy explanation: I've changed some server settings (in apache using mod_expires for those curious) to force all files (most importantly images and css) to be cached by browsers. A large number weren't doing so and were being downloaded on every page. The first page or two might load at a slow pace, but after that the site should be spiffy. There were also 3 css and javascript files that didn't exist that the site was trying to load on every page. They weren't important files, but apparently browsers were waiting for around half a second trying to load them before moving on to the next files. I removed them. Pages should now load significantly faster for everyone. Please verify.

EDIT: Even more details - The images weren't automatically caching because we keep them on Amazon's S3 storage, but pretend that they're on the server using a software called S3FS, and that apparently has weird effects on caching. It took half a second for the 3 missing files to fail loading because of the way we have the wiki set up. The server tries to find files that don't exist to make sure it's not a wiki page, like cosmoquest.org/About. This extra step was costing half a second. I now know to never, ever let a missing link happen on this site.
    Last edited by Cory; 2013-Oct-24 at 07:27 AM.

Also I realize I did something to make the navigation at the top move the Cosmoquest logo around. I don't remember how to fix that, so we'll see if Pamela does tomorrow.

Yep .. that's just broken a whole bunch of icons like 'online indicators', 'go to last post', etc, etc ...

And now they're all back again !!

Top page not updating 'last post' username on a thread .. (this one shows 'Cory' not me).

PS: Clearing browser cache sorts it out though ...
    Last edited by Selfsim; 2013-Oct-24 at 07:45 AM.

Broken icons were from me restarting the server. I'm working on the other problem now (I think it's from entire pages caching).

I believe that's been fixed now as well.

Its quicker alright (and the icons are back).

I have a feeling these changes might solve the 'Go advance/Post preview' missing text problem too. There was like a two step process going on between when post text came up in the editing window (when it wasn't deleting text) and when it allowed user editing. I decided not to report this because it was too hard to describe in words. It was sort of like it was doing something before settling down .. what Cory described would account for this .. (I have my fingers crossed .. I'm hopeful ...)

Sadly it doesn't seem to be the case. Jeff's posted example still fails: http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...76#post2164476

When you click on the link to go to the top (on the bottom right) it doesn't take you all the way to the top but only to the forum logo. This is because the forum logo has the a="top" code and the links that take you to the top take the "#top" suffix. This should be easily fixed by having a dummy a="top" at or above the navigation bar at the real top of the page, since if i remember correctly a #top suffix on the url takes you to the first occurrence of an a="top", so adding an extra dummy one should fix it.