Thread: Earth's Moon Colony (EMC) - A United Effort

Earth's Moon Colony (EMC) - A United Effort

We need to establish Earth's Moon Colony (EMC) with mining for Helium 3 as one of its priorities. Another priority is to establish a launch site for Earth's Mars Colony (EMC2). And how does the many nations accomplish this goal?

The North American Space Agency (NASA) couples with the African Space Society. The European Space Agency (ESA) including Russia (RSA) couples with the South American Latin Space Agency (SALSA). And then there's the Asian Space Agency (ASA). So it's a three-prong assault on the Moon a la Columbus' three ships.

As of yet we have not discovered a good use for Helium 3. Nevertheless we should still do it.

... mining for Helium 3 ... how does the many nations accomplish this goal?
    Well, this is what the Nazis did when they retreated to the Moon back in 1945.

Guess what movie I just watched on Netflix...

loopool,

Wrong. Around 2001, I attended a lecture by a NASA scientist at Florida International University who said, "We should colonize and mine the Moon for Helium 3. A small room full of Helium 3 could supply all of Earth's energy needs for over 100 years." In my research since, this is true.

He-3 is one of the weakest arguments I've ever seen for going to the moon. We don't even have first generation deuterium-tritium fusion power reactors, we certainly don't have a shortage of He-3 to power a purely hypothetical advanced fusion reactor of particularly uncertain viability. It'd likely be easier to deal with the neutron emissions of D-T fusion (which actually have some economic value) than to extract the trace quantities of He-3 trapped in lunar regolith and ship it back to Earth.

A much better reason is propellant. In the near future, properly maintaining orbital space will require tugs with lots of propellant for disposing of old satellites, servicing existing ones, placing satellites or correcting misplaced ones (like the just-mislaunched Galileo satellites), etc. Shipping spacecraft propellant from Earth's surface is extremely expensive, and producing it from the volatile ices at the lunar poles may prove to be far cheaper.

cjameshuff,

Thanks for that insightful post! My understanding is that Helium-3 is much more common on the Moon than Earth. If that is not correct, please provide resources/links. Apollo 17 Astronaut & Geologist Jack Schmidt has repetitively stated his desire to see us return to the Moon to mine Helium-3. Correct?

Possibly, "we don't even have first generation deuterium-tritium fusion power reactors" because we don't have a large source of readily available Helium-3? I AM not an expert in this field, are you? If so, what qualifications do you possess?

"A much better reason is propellant. In the near future, properly maintaining orbital space will require tugs with lots of propellant for disposing of old satellites, servicing existing ones, placing satellites or correcting misplaced ones (like the just-mislaunched Galileo satellites), etc. Shipping spacecraft propellant from Earth's surface is extremely expensive, and producing it from the volatile ices at the lunar poles may prove to be far cheaper." Yes, I've heard this argument before. You left out that missions to Earth's Mars Colony (EMC2) would be faster and cheaper if launched from Earth's Moon Colony (EMC1).

A regularly-maintained large radio-telescope on the Far-side of the Moon would be cool, right?
    Last edited by Brad Watson; 2014-Sep-29 at 10:53 AM.