Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Affeck to be Batman in the 'Man of Steel' sequel...Doing a clooney?

Ben Affeck to be Batman in the 'Man of Steel' sequel...Doing a clooney?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

I remember daredevil, it was Okay, but, batman?

On second thought, I think it could work

Kinda regretting the title of this thread, can we cut out the last bit following ...?

Bring back the real Superman! We need a George Reeves clone.

So, Matt Damon's playing Robin.

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Bring back the real Superman! We need a George Reeves clone.
    Wait, did you do that on purpose? If so, good one.

Given what they're doing with Batman, or saying they're going to, it could be interesting. Ben Affleck can act; I've seen him do it. (His performance in Dogma is surprisingly good, for example.) Unfortunately, I don't think Zack Snyder is the director to get a good performance out of him. I'd love to see what several other directors could do, including Herzog and Spielberg. And the site where I get most of my pop culture news pointed out that he as a director is very good at getting that performance out of others, so why not just have him direct? Which to be honest, I suspect is part of his plan for the whole thing. He is, apparently, a comic book fan and would probably love the chance to direct a superhero movie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Given what they're doing with Batman, or saying they're going to, it could be interesting. Ben Affleck can act; I've seen him do it.

He was good in Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob. Chasing Amy?

I do like Ben Affleck, but you guys are cracking me up.
    Solfe

I just keeping thinking daredevil, but, my understanding is that Affleck will play an older batman, probably a bit worn and rough around the edges, might be good. I do think their making superman slightly darker than it used to be. Christian Bale would have been the preferred choice, surely, I just have trouble seeing how affleck can pull this off. I wonder, will he use his voice, or copy bale with a growl? I don't think Affleck has the voice to be batman. I hope he doesn't use his daredevil voice, sort of low and husky http://youtu.be/xicwgXHSVV8.

I liked how in the YouTube link I posted here, to the daredevil clip, someone's actually added a comment begging affleck to get it right. I'm sure ill end up eating my words and the movie will be fantastic

LOL! The Matt Damon as Robin, I heard a few times, since the announcement. It all depends, I guess on script, the director being able to get a performance out of Affleck, as Affleck can act. One of those wait and see cases.

I also seem to recall the immediate backlash when it was first announced Daniel Craig would be stepping into the role of "James Bond": "He won't be any good.", "OMG, a blond Bond.", etc. He quickly became a fan favourite in the role, has put his stamp on the role, two of his three outings have had great stories to back it up.

I'd prefer Simon Helberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdxOgs6Dt8

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    I also seem to recall the immediate backlash when it was first announced Daniel Craig would be stepping into the role of "James Bond": "He won't be any good.", "OMG, a blond Bond.", etc. He quickly became a fan favourite in the role, has put his stamp on the role, two of his three outings have had great stories to back it up.
    As I recall, the announcement that Heath Ledger was going to play the Joker wasn't exactly met with unanimous applause, either.

I propose a solution. Can you script a movie without the line:

"I'm Batman!"?
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    Or Heath Ledger as the Joker? That one has convinced me to give people chances I wouldn't ordinarily. Oh, I'm still usually right about my initial response, but I scoffed pretty seriously about the idea of that guy from 10 Things I Hate About You and A Knight's Tale being any good at all.

And wouldn't Casey Affleck be more likely to be Robin?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Seen on Twitter:

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin Ahmed
    "A Wonder Woman movie would be too big a financial risk! We've decided to go with a proven moneymaker: A Ben Affleck superhero movie!"

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Seen on Twitter:

There are now petitions to get Ben Affleck removed from the role as batman http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...d-is-not-happy, apparently, a petition has also been made to the whitehouse to stop him from playing batman for the next 200 years

These petitions to the White House are often just silly. I'm quite sure that the White House won't do anything about it--and if they tried, it would violate a provision in the Constitution that laws cannot be passed that only apply to one person.

"You can't erase icing."

The main use of those direct petitions to the White House is that the White House has said they'll respond to any that get at least a minimum number of "signatures", including the obviously silly ones, and including giving obviously silly responses. Their explanation of why they're not going to build a Death Star was amusing.

These petitions to the White House are often just silly. I'm quite sure that the White House won't do anything about it--and if they tried, it would violate a provision in the Constitution that laws cannot be passed that only apply to one person.
    It would almost certainly violate the First Amendment, as well.

I am absolutely convinced that the White House petition website is designed as some sort of trial by fire for White House interns. The things people ask for vary between misunderstanding of the role of the office of the President and a complete misunderstanding of the world.

I had a petition that was pure crack-pottery (it was political, just never mind) just to see if they let all crackpots use the page. They do.
    Solfe

Or Heath Ledger as the Joker? That one has convinced me to give people chances I wouldn't ordinarily. Oh, I'm still usually right about my initial response, but I scoffed pretty seriously about the idea of that guy from 10 Things I Hate About You and A Knight's Tale being any good at all.

And wouldn't Casey Affleck be more likely to be Robin?
    The one film by Ledger I'd seen before The Dark Knight was The Patriot, which convinced me that he had the skills to handle himself in the big leagues. A Knight's Tale wasn't even trying to take itself seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    A Knight's Tale wasn't even trying to take itself seriously.
    A Knight's Tale is fun just for that reason. I loved the soundtrack. AC/DC, Queen, Bowie. Just when you think it can't get any odder, they jump you with the dancing, the wave and the armor swoosh.
    Solfe

I saw it in the theatre with a large group from my local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronisms. Most of us had more accurate costumes, a point driven home by the big, dramatic shot at the end, where the camera circles Our Hero as he kisses the girl at last.

From the row in front of me: "Oh, my god!"

Me: "What?"

"Zipper!"

Second circle past her back.

"Oh, my god!"

"You can't erase icing."

The way I heard A Knight's Tale described when it came out was that it was basically a sport's movie from 600 years ago. Nothing about it was meant to be historically accurate. It was just an excuse to show cool scenes of guys getting knocked off horses to classic rock soundtracks. Taken that way, I think it did what it set out to do.

As for Affleck as Batman, I read an opinion piece that said the film is mean to be later in batman's life, when he's well past his prime and has known defeat. It then went on to compare that idea to Affleck's career. He started essentially on the top, so any marginal thing he did after would be seen as a failure in comparison. The writer went on to say that if Affleck can tap into that part of himself, he won't even have to act all that much because he's lived it. The writer also said that to his credit, Affleck kept plugging away rather than give up.

He made some good points, and I'll reserve any real opinion until I see something that's actually been shot.

That said, his name on the poster has never been a reason for me to see a movie.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    The way I heard A Knight's Tale described when it came out was that it was basically a sport's movie from 600 years ago. Nothing about it was meant to be historically accurate. It was just an excuse to show cool scenes of guys getting knocked off horses to classic rock soundtracks. Taken that way, I think it did what it set out to do.

As for Affleck as Batman, I read an opinion piece that said the film is mean to be later in batman's life, when he's well past his prime and has known defeat. It then went on to compare that idea to Affleck's career. He started essentially on the top, so any marginal thing he did after would be seen as a failure in comparison. The writer went on to say that if Affleck can tap into that part of himself, he won't even have to act all that much because he's lived it. The writer also said that to his credit, Affleck kept plugging away rather than give up.

He made some good points, and I'll reserve any real opinion until I see something that's actually been shot.

That said, his name on the poster has never been a reason for me to see a movie.
    I've decided Affleck might me a fresh new take on Batman, all the best to him. I hope he makes the role his own and tries something new. Christian Bales growl was cool, but, maybe time to drop that. I hope he comes up with something cool, an older batman, drainers tired and still plugin away sounds pretty good. Much like the Batman dark knight returns story.

He's got the chin for it.