Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generous Donation

Generous Donation

I wanted to let the community know that a donor who wishes to remain anonymous has made a donation so that we can double the size of our server for the next 3 years.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thanks to all the donors.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Huh. Well thanks, oh anonymous one.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mkline55 View Post
    Thanks to all the donors.
    Exactly. And especially the major donor. Appreciated by many, I'm sure.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Thank you!

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Anonymous one, our thanks.

best,
    dave

Awesome.

Thanks Anon,

Have our glorious overlords stepped in to say thanks yet?

Add my "thanks" to the chorus.

thank to all out donairs, sorry donors.

Many thanks to our anonymous benefactor and friend. The one has provided for the many.

Many thanks from me as well.

Thank you very much.
    Solfe

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    That's quite a donation. Thanks to you, major donor, and to everyone else who donated as well.

Thanks to all donors and I hope this helps turn things around.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I for one welcome our Anonomous Overlord.

Thank you.

Thanks, donors. BIG THANKS, big donor.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Thank you to our secret santa.

We may be in need of another generous donation if what Pamela Gay tweeted is true: NASA has dropped sponsorship of CQ (and other ventures).

Would that mean we'd get our colour scheme back?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    We may be in need of another generous donation if what Pamela Gay tweeted is true: NASA has dropped sponsorship of CQ (and other ventures).
    It's a good thing she has the information in a tweet instead of actually explaining it on CQ or it's forum... Certainly the update since your post about the upcomming eclipse is more important to us.

Ok; that may be a bit unfair. She may be writing a real response for us as we speak.
    It's one of the reasons that I hate twitter. Get people all riled up with a short scary note without any explanation.

i have not heard anything yet ...
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Or how about multiple smaller donations?

Since I went to look it up, here's the tweet in question:
    https://twitter.com/starstryder/stat...42288164495361

Hey there, I see the tweet in question and can hopefully give it some context.

The program is the NASA ROSES EPOESS grant call. (ROSES = Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences, and EPOESS is a subset of that, the Opportunities in Education and Public Outreach for Earth and Space Science.) That's generally a grant call for education and public outreach type projects that use data from NASA missions. It was an EPOESS grant that kicked off CosmoQuest and has funded it for the last almost three years. That grant runs out at the end of the December. The EPOESS grant call was officially cancelled in the last few days because of the way that education and public outreach funding within NASA is being restructured. This is a result of the initial attempt to merge all federal science education programs that at first, had no role for NASA and was later changed, amid much outcry, to include NASA. This means we can't apply for new funding under that specific grant to keep CosmoQuest going. We hoped to do so for the 2013 grant call... but it was cancelled among the restructuring chaos. The 2014 grant call was postponed... and is now officially cancelled as NASA works internally to reorganize its education and outreach efforts.

NASA isn't pulling any funding; we got all the money we asked for. We just have to seek new sources of funds since this one is no more. Although the official cancellation of EPOESS is sad news, it's not a surprise either, which is why Pamela has been typing her fingers off proposing through other grant calls and why we've been working to get private donations via social media and the Hangoutathons of the last two years. EPOESS was great because it was such a good fit for our mission, now we and other NASA-related outreach projects have to search elsewhere (and have been already for some time). I'm not as fully plugged into the inner workings of NASA, so I can't honestly tell you where it's going, but through other grant calls and continued support from users, CosmoQuest can keep going.

I hope that allays any fears of a sudden drop in funding, but lets you know that we do really, really, super appreciate any support you have given or could give in the future. Multiple small donations have been driving us up until now, but that doesn't rule out the awesomeness that a bigger corporate sponsor or hugely generous donor would bring.

Thanks, all.
    Last edited by NoisyAstronomer; 2014-Oct-22 at 02:43 AM. Reason: added statement in parens

Is it possible to see the financial paperwork? Because we've gotten a lot of conflicting information about funding since the takeover.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Is it possible to see the financial paperwork? Because we've gotten a lot of conflicting information about funding since the takeover.
    Does the paperwork need to be consistent?

Quote Originally Posted by NoisyAstronomer View Post
    Hey there, I see the tweet in question and can hopefully give it some context.....
    Thanks for the clarification.

My recollection is that there was a paperwork kerfuffle a couple of years ago that caused CQ to lose it's 503(c) tax exempt status. Before making a contribution, I'd like to have it confirmed that that's been corrected so that contributions are deductible. Can anyone confirm that? I can't find it on the website.

(A tad later...)

OK, I went and found this:
    *Please Note: Our provisional non-profit status for Astrosphere from when we formed is under review. The IRS has cashed our processing check, but nearly a year later we’re still waiting to hear if we get to keep our non-profit status. This means we have no idea if your donation is tax deductible in the USA. We hope this message can be replaced with a “YES! 501(c)(3) status in place,” but we want to be upfront about our status.
    I don't know how long ago that was. An update would be VERY helpful. Especially for me, since I deducted a contribution last year and am wondering if I should file an ammended return.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My recollection is that there was a paperwork kerfuffle a couple of years ago that caused CQ to lose it's 503(c) tax exempt status. Before making a contribution, I'd like to have it confirmed that that's been corrected so that contributions are deductible. Can anyone confirm that? I can't find it on the website.

(A tad later...)

OK, I went and found this:

I don't know how long ago that was. An update would be VERY helpful. Especially for me, since I deducted a contribution last year and am wondering if I should file an ammended return.
    I've asked, and Astrosphere still does not have confirmation of 501(c)(3) status.

Since CosmoQuest is a University program, donations to it go through the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Foundation, and is 501(c)(3): http://www.siue.edu/give/faqs.shtml

Pamela can provide financials if given specifics. She adds, "Bottom line, our budget is about $400,000 a year and most of that goes to salary, I am the lowest paid person (going part time to reserve money for others.)"

I've asked Pamela to comment on this thread once she's home (driving from distant Apple store!)

I'll add that I'm currently PT on CosmoQuest now as well, the rest of my time on teaching and other outreach projects with the university. But it's nearing the end of my post-doc term anyway!