Thread: Forum restored from backup

Forum restored from backup

Due to a mistake by one of the administrators (me) that erased a longtime user, we restored the forum contents from backup. Any posts or other activity from roughly the last ten hours was lost in the restore. My apologies for that, but everything should be okay now.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Dang, and I'd just posted a mathematically perfect TOE here and lost my notes! Now I've got to reconstruct it from memory.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Me too! Man, what horrible timing

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    When that happened to Newton, he was able to recreate his work. I think we can give you guys a couple months, but then we need proof.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Due to a mistake by one of the administrators (me) that erased a longtime user, we restored the forum contents from backup. Any posts or other activity from roughly the last ten hours was lost in the restore. My apologies for that, but everything should be okay now.
    Thank you for;

1) Owning up to your mistake and taking timely actions to correct it.
    and
    2) For letting us know what happened and what you did to correct the mistake.

If only the owners of the board would be so kind.
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Just when I'd posted a perfect Grand Unified Theory, engineered a cheap warp drive, explained consciousness, fully detailed abiogenesis, and published a recipe for whatever ails you.

Figures.

My "Which religion produces the worst politicians?" thread is gone. I guess I won't get banned.

I decisively won an unwinnable thread in F&G tonight, and the proof is gone. *cry*

In an actual sad result, the most recent update to "Films of 2013" is gone.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

In an actual sort-of coincidence, I spent the last day and a
    half deleting Windows from my hard drive and re-installing
    it from scratch. I just managed to get the Internet connection
    working again.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I went to the sea yesterday and spent the whole day on the beach. It must be a premonition. . .

Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Dang, and I'd just posted a mathematically perfect TOE here and lost my notes! Now I've got to reconstruct it from memory.
    Oh, no! I was able to confirm both of those with data obtained from water balloons, Pixie Sticks and an inordinate amount of coffee. It had something to do with the lack of consistency of the number one and the speed of light. It was great stuff!

Oh well, I guess just move on and get my life back in order now.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Just when I'd posted a perfect Grand Unified Theory
    So my post is lost showing that there was a hidden symmetry between those three theories and they were all equivalent to eachother? Oh well, it happens...

I briefly saw that our member Fermat had posted an elegant proof that for counting numbers larger than 1 a, b, c, and m, that am + bm = cm can only ever be true for m=2. It was cool enough that I'm pretty sure he'll be back and post it again.

More seriously, the only thing that has (so far) prevented me from making the kind of slip-up that made this happen is that my laziness has left all of that kind of maintenance to ToSeek and Swift. So, sorry to Fermat and everyone else who lost some posts, but thanks to ToSeek and Cory for getting it fixed. I can only imagine the stress you must have felt.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    I briefly saw that our member Fermat had posted an elegant proof that for counting numbers larger than 1 a, b, c, and m, that am + bm = cm can only ever be true for m=2. It was cool enough that I'm pretty sure he'll be back and post it again.
    I hope so, i specifically remember him saying that he came to this forum because he couldn't fit his proof in a tweet.

Well that sucks. Is it worth reposting the Films of 2013 update again? I have most of it in draft form.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    ... Is it worth reposting the Films of 2013 update again? ...
    Yes, it is.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    Just when I'd posted a perfect Grand Unified Theory, engineered a cheap warp drive, explained consciousness, fully detailed abiogenesis, and published a recipe for whatever ails you.

Figures.
    I know, I posted my breakthrough in M-Theory that proves the existence of strings, which has been lost and I've since forgotten.

I see Swift logged in. Dagnabit... it worked.

For some reason Swift's situation, reminds me of that TNG episode where a copy of Riker refuses to go back to his universe and fight the Borg.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    For some reason Swift's situation, reminds me of that TNG episode where a copy of Riker refuses to go back to his universe and fight the Borg.
    At least there was a remaining Riker.
    Maybe it's more like Beverly and the loss of Doctor Quaice. It's a good thing we didn't start losing other members of our crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Resistance is futile
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Ohm...