Thread: Wireless on a Laptop

Wireless on a Laptop

Ok guys, I have been entrusted with getting wireless to work on my brother's laptop, which runs Windows XP and has SP1, but unfortunately I don't remember quite how to do it! Right now the comp knows it has a wireless capability but doesn't aknowledge it, ie when you look under network connections there's a little x for "wireless network connection 2" which means I guess I have to do something under properties for it. For the record, the thing it wants to connect with is a wireless LAN mini PCI Adapter, or so it tells me.
    Anyone who can tell me what to do from here would be awesome. Thanks.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Andromeda321

Did you load the device driver for the wireless PCI card???

Oh, and sorry you couldn't make our Deep Impact star party when you were here in Arizona.

problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

I didn't, but he thinks someone did it for him before he left school (it's a school issued laptop) and I don't know all that much about these so yeah, how would I check?
    And I'm sad I missed the starparty too. How about this guys, once I get it working I'll post my pretty astro camp pictures for all to see?

Go to the control panel, and select "System". This should bring up the "System Properties" dialog box. Click on the "hardware" tab and then select "Device Manager". Find the "Network Adapters" and open that tree. Your PCI card should be listed. If there is a "caution" symbol next to it, then there is a problem with it, most likely a bad or missing driver. Right click on it and and select "Properties". Click on the "Drivers" tab and make sure the driver is installed and working.

Let us know how that goes. If everything seems to be in order, I work on the next step.

Jim
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Alright, that seems to all be working pretty well... nice to know that's not the problem, thanks.
    Okies, any tips on what to do now?

Andromeda, some laptops have a physical on-off switch for the wireless network adapter. Check that.

Also, I assume we're sure the wireless network itself is up and running. Are you trying to connect to a network at home, or at school, or . . . ?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

O.K.

Go to "Network Connections" and find the wireless connection that you're interested in. Right click on it and look at the "Properties". Click once on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" listing and the click on the "Properties" button. Unter the "General" tab, the "Optain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" radio buttons should be selected. If not, select them.

Let me know what happens.

Jim

seanf- I'm assuming if it was something like that my brother would know. And the wireless is working since I'm working off of it right now and all...
    AstroRockHunter- alright, that looks like it was already all selected. Hm.

I'd make sure that it is trying to connect to the proper wireless network. Under the properties for "Wireless Network 2" you can see all of the networks that the adapter can currently detect. Select the one you want.

The network selection seems to be your most likely culprit. I just got a "new" laptop, and the previous user had made the wireless selection non-auto. another problem I've had, is using a 11g card with a 11b router - if there is another 11g router within whiffing distance, it will try to connect to that, regardless of signal strength.

I changed the channel on the router from the default 6 to 8, and the problem went away. Give the card other choices besides the default.

If it is a school network than you might have to register your MAC adress with them.

get service pack 2 installed on it, it has the supplicant driver support for wireless communications built into this release.

so how you go after this, if you still have trouble , just post here.

I tried most of the stuff you guys suggested on it but none of it worked, really (and I couldn't install SP2 because he had no Internet, hence the need for a wireless connection). He went off to college today, though, so he can ask some IT people over there to do it for him instead.
    Thanks for the help though guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda321
    I tried most of the stuff you guys suggested on it but none of it worked, really (and I couldn't install SP2 because he had no Internet, hence the need for a wireless connection). He went off to college today, though, so he can ask some IT people over there to do it for him instead.
    Aargh, it's frustrating when you know there must be a solution but can't find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda321
    Aargh, it's frustrating when you know there must be a solution but can't find it!
    No kidding.

Andromeda, you best tell your brother that you're going to have to let us know what the problem was once it's solved . . .

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn