Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Earth is flat!

Well, we already have creation 'science' taught along-side evolution; so - why not add Flat-Earth geography to the curriculum?? 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Re: The Earth is flat!

Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam
    Isaiah 40:22 It is he who sits above the circle of the earth...
    My, my, my...
    "...he that sitteth UPON the circle of the earth..."
    Um... uh... haven't you ever heard that there are many different versions of the bible, each with slightly different wording?

NIV
    He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

ASV
    It is he that sitteth above the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in;

YLT
    He who is sitting on the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants [are] as grasshoppers, He who is stretching out as a thin thing the heavens, And spreadeth them as a tent to dwell in.

Just some examples

Ok, I sincerely apologize to those that have been offended by my original post.

I have seen many people who are too brainwashed to know that the bible isn't a science text book. Often, these people are the same ones that act very trollish. When I first discovered this place, I noticed that there were many... sane people. I also noticed that you have an entire thread dedicated to naming those that are banned, and I was astonished to see so many in that list, not to mention the frequency of the bannings.

I thought to myself, "Why can't I act trollish at least once in my life? Why can't I misrepresent the "other side" every once in a while? They do it to us all the time! The people on this board are perfect candidates! They don't seem to tolerate very well people that don't know the importance of support for assertions, especially the all powerful Bad Astronomer."

So, I decided to go ahead and use one of the oldest straw man taken from the "good book."

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Lam (yes, it is a very unique name). The direct translation into English is "forest," so you can call me Forest if you want I'm a physics major. I sometimes get bored from studying and writing papers so I serf... surf (whichever spelling that's right) around for fun... and possibly to prevent myself from going insane from looking at equations and reading Hegel and his freaking fellow German philosophers all day long.

There is a reason for me using a bible verse for my trollish behavior. With recent events surrounding the gay rights issue, I've grown too tired of Christian fundamentalists who keep using Leviticus, Romans, and I Corinthians to support their bigotry, even though I can shoot those arguments down in a heartbeat. I've also grown tired of seeing so many young earth creationists who seem to ignore the vast amount of evidence we have that clearly show the Earth is a lot older than 6,000 years just because of their preferred literal interpretation of the bible.

Anyway, just thought I'd use this board to be a villain for once. Hope I haven't permanently scarred anyone for life.

Any question?

We all have those urges lam.... come in with a bang.... but I don't think it wise to be proud of that fact, Although I forgive and you welcome you to the BABB.

Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    The original Hebrew word for circle is "khug". It meant "roundness" or "sphericity".
    Actually, the original Ancient Hebrew word is (pronounced chuwg or khoog) literally means circle, circuit, or compass.

You know better than to trust a creationist site. They'll do anything, even lie, to support their side.

Perhaps you meant your puppy is at http://www.evcforum.net/
    Sandbagger!

Well, I forgot how stupid computers are. They do exactly what you tell them to do, nothing more.

I see two puppies.

My sister took the other one on the right.

NIV
    He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

ASV
    It is he that sitteth above the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in;

YLT
    He who is sitting on the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants [are] as grasshoppers, He who is stretching out as a thin thing the heavens, And spreadeth them as a tent to dwell in.
    Ah, the words of the Great Communicator, whose utterances are infallible, unchangeable, and easily understood by all.

He probably could have used the Semitic nomadic version of English 101 way back then. Or at least a good technical writer. :wink:

The original Hebrew word for circle is "khug". It meant "roundness" or "sphericity".
    Actually, the original Ancient Hebrew word is (pronounced chuwg or khoog) literally means circle, circuit, or compass.

You know better than to trust a creationist site. They'll do anything, even lie, to support their side.
    Second pronounciation is more correct. But with more of a phlem and "CH" sound in the begining.

[for those of you who do not know. Hebrew is read right to left]

For those of you that don't know, Ancient Hebrew didn't have vowels, so scholars are still sketchy on how to pronounce the words properly. But yes, Humphrey is correct.

From the song Why Can't the English? from "My Fair Lady" (sung by Professor Henry Higgins):

Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
    And Hebrews learn it backwards,
    which is absolutely frightening.

Never sit in front of someone in Hebrew/Yiddish class who is trying to pronounce chutzpah!

welcome to the Board, Lam (which in my language means 'lamb' )

#-o ops: Woops sorry

I humbly submit Exhibit A.

The Earth is not Flat.

Phew! Lam is just "pulling our collective leg", so to speak. There for awhile I thought this was going to be a one of "those" experiences.

BTW, is Lam your last name? One of my English as a second language students is named Lam (her last name). She came to the US from Viet Nam last spring.

I must admit it's very difficult to reason with people who are completely convinced that the bible is the ultimate authority...in fact at times it's flat out impossible to reason which such people!

I think he said it was his first but I can't remember....

Well, I forgot how stupid computers are. They do exactly what you tell them to do, nothing more.
    They do exactly what we tell them to, and they're the stupid ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Never sit in front of someone in Hebrew/Yiddish class who is trying to pronounce chutzpah!
    And Chutzpah seems to describe Lam . So now we've come full circle. Welcome Lam, but behave yourself or we'll make you stay after and clean the erasers. :wink:
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi Chick
    I always wondered what was underneath. :wink:
    Earth is flat and round...what else is flat and round, hmm??

A witch...burn her!

Nononono, and pancake.

So the obvious answer to the question of what's underneath is...(drumruoll please)...a skillet!

(and you thought the Earth was internally heated).

We've been decieved about the Mayan calander too. It's not a count down to when the world is going to end, it's a timer for when the underside of the world is done. Beware the coming of the cosmic spatula to flip us! #-o

--Nergal

Nergal's model of the Earth

It's a hoax. There are no stars in that picture.

This is your Earth on drugs. Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleMan
    Well that joke takes the cake. :roll:

If I learned anything from this thread, it is that "lam" means the same in Singapore as it does here in Belgium. (lamb)
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Hahaha. Actually, I have quite a few friends (real live ones, not online friends) that are from Singapore. You guys talk funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Nergal's of the Earth
    Actually, that's a (hypothetical) picture of a trinary system. In a real view of Earth from space, we'd be alone in the pan. I'm a closet Geo-pancentrist :^o

(maybe I should start my own "we live on a giant pancake" end of the word woo-woo site)

--Nergal

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleMan
    Well that joke takes the cake. :roll:
    Unfortunately many people have panned that whole campaign. It still remains a hot topic among those who would rather not waffle.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Nergal wrote:
    Beware the coming of the cosmic spatula to flip us!
    You wouldn't be refering to Planet X now, would you??? :-#
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Quote Originally Posted by AstroRockHunter
    Nergal wrote:
    Beware the coming of the cosmic spatula to flip us!
    You wouldn't be refering to Planet X now, would you??? :-#
    Planet X is not a planet...it's blueberry toppings (which must be applied while the "up" side is still soft, and thusly should occur BEFORE flipping).

--Nergal