Thread: Citizen Science User Research

Citizen Science User Research

I am part of a team conducting research on how and why people take part in citizen science programs. The goal of this is to generate a solid understanding of the motivations and needs of those people so that I and my colleges can design a better user interface for an upcoming application. 

If you are interested in helping we would love to hear from you on your experiences with BOINC. We are looking for high-level information and advice. For example wed really like to know:
    * * * *How do you attract new users to your program?
    * * * *When things, in your opinion, make for a delightful experience for your volunteers?
    * * * *What things, in your opinion, turn away prospective volunteers?
    * * * *How do you keep users interested in participation over time?
    * * * *Do your users interact with each other? In what ways? Is the interaction important to their participation?

Hi, Benjamin! We don't use BOINC here, though I've used it personally on some projects like SETI@home.

We've been undertaking some research of citizen science motivations with CosmoQuest, and recently presented some results at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific conference: http://cosmoquest.org/blog/2013/10/who-how-and-why/

That's just a start, but we could chat further on this issue for your research if you'd prefer. Send an email to info@cosmoquest.org! (I get that forwarded to my inbox, as do several other members of the team.)

- Nicole