Thread: What do you think we'll see when the Event Horizon Telescope images the event horizon

What do you think we'll see when the Event Horizon Telescope images the event horizon

of Sagittarius A in the coming years? Any surprises? Anybody read about the gas observed going into that black hole this year?

You asked two questions:
    1. I think we'll verify that the black hole leaves a shadow. If we're lucky, we'll see the background get distorted with enough accuracy to either support General Relativity, or narrow the list of extensions to General Relativity.
    2. There are lots of stories and a few threads here about G2, the gas cloud interacting with Sgr A* this year and next. It's a cool topic, and I'm sure lot's of people will enjoy discussing it with you.
    Forming opinions as we speak

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Hi MVAgusta1078RR,
    Welcome to CQ!

Best,
    dave

I'm still trying to figure out naked singularities, that is singularities without event horizons. Which wiki claims have a scientific basis for existing in reality.

What the heck is THAT going to look like?

Naked Singularities is off topic, but the short answer is that they are a prediction of Loop Quantum Gravity (as opposed to General Relativity), and are probably the biggest reason for not taking LQG all that seriously.
    Forming opinions as we speak

My apologies.

I thought the subject was a new question, to be sure, but at least in the same ballpark.

and thanks for the info.

I'm totally excited for more Event Horizon Telescope results! I was a baby undergrad at MIT Haystack when I first heard about the idea 10 years ago. And... I'm an interferometry dork.

Ditto what antoniseb said. Just don't expect pretty pictures. The results will likely come from modeling the power of spatial frequencies measured by the interferometer. But theorists can still make pretty simulations out of that!

- Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Naked Singularities is off topic, but the short answer is that they are a prediction of Loop Quantum Gravity (as opposed to General Relativity), and are probably the biggest reason for not taking LQG all that seriously.
    The big bang is a naked singularity, yet that doesn't mean that we don't take general relativity seriously.

I think we'll see a horizon beyond which events cannot be imaged :P

I can't even begin to imagine-- and that's why I can't wait to find out!