Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Report problems for the Build Team

Hmm, I still need Unicode to get to the last page of the milk thread.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I mentioned it already in the missing page 9 thread:

I can't see any icons, no title image. I can see a few avatars, tho.

I have of course cleared the cache and refreshed but no change.
    I've tried IE10, firefox and chrome (the latest versions of the last 2) and the same problem there.

Also, I have firebug in firefox active and it shows me many more errors when I load a page on this forum, presumably image related.

I'm also not getting a lot images in Chrome on my Acer A500 running Android 4.0.3, they seem to be working on my iPad Mini also using Chrome though

Can't load the last page of this thread, I just get "This page cannot be displayed". If you're reading this, I can post to it, but many of the icons are broken.

...and I can't load the preview. But the broken icons are loading properly after going back to this page.

I was just away from computer for 30min and when I got back all icons and images and avatars show now (in all browsers I mentioned).
    Firebug is happy now as well.
    I didn't change anything on my end, so presumably changes were made on the server side.

An unusual development; it just took me a good 2 minutes or so to connect with the Forum main page from offsite. And it wasn't a direct connection; I got a "page cannot be displayed" error, ran a diagnostic, and then it skipped right onto the page without me clicking anything.

Now I tried again and got on right away.

Weirdness. Okay... anything that insists on staying broken? I know Cory's been doing a lot of backend work that is clearing up problems as he goes. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NoisyAstronomer View Post
    Weirdness. Okay... anything that insists on staying broken? I know Cory's been doing a lot of backend work that is clearing up problems as he goes. :-)
    The Cow's Milk thread still needs me to switch to Unicode to get anywhere but the first page. (I'm using Win8/Internet Explorer)

Here's a new one. On the Q&A and Space Exploration sections, the Main CQ Forum page shows certain Last Post threads, and yet when I go to those sections, there's a completely different set of threads at the top of the page. I tried going back and forth several times, and it's not the threads being updated with new posts, the time stamps are different on each page.

EDIT: And now it's back to normal with the newest posts. Weird.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2014-Jan-23 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    (I'm using Win8/Internet Explorer)
    (Adam Savage) Well THERE'S your problem! (/Adam Savage)

The thread is working fine for me.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    (Adam Savage) Well THERE'S your problem! (/Adam Savage)
    *snrk*

I'm seeing it okay as well...

Looks like the heading is messed up again:

Attachment 19213

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post

Attachment 19213
    That looks like a network problem caused a .css file to time out.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    That looks like a network problem caused a .css file to time out.
    Nope; cleared everything and still got it.

But; It did turn out to be compatibility. I turned on compatibility mode and it's fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post

Attachment 19213
    Cory was fixing the header menu at my request. It was outdated. Is it better?

Quote Originally Posted by NoisyAstronomer View Post
    Cory was fixing the header menu at my request. It was outdated. Is it better?
    It's just me. I am stuck with IE8.
    It's fine in compatibility mode, otherwise not.

I'm seeing a header essentially identical to NEOWatcher's
    screenshot.

When you say "compatibility mode" do you actually mean
    "compatibility view"? I'm using IE8 under Windows7.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    When you say "compatibility mode" do you actually mean
    "compatibility view"? I'm using IE8 under Windows7.
    Yes;
    And I have an entry for "cosmoquest.org" in the compatibility view settings list.

Compatibility view is supposed to improve rendering of some
    older websites on newer browsers. Our browsers are relatively
    old while the version of vBulletin is relatively new. Should
    compatibility view really help us?

Edit: It does seem to work, though.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Last edited by Jeff Root; 2014-Jan-31 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The Cow's Milk thread still needs me to switch to Unicode to get anywhere but the first page. (I'm using Win8/Internet Explorer)

Still broken.

This has happened in the past.
    It's probably most noticable to us that don't have an avatar.
    Between the popup and quote box getting priority, the user options are difficult to get to (if not impossible).
    (image redacted to protect the guilty)

Attachment 19244

It wasn't clear to me what you meant, but I figured it out with a little testing. A list of options comes up if you click on the poster's name in a post's header. It turns out that if the post contains a quote, it can overlay the list. This happens whether or not someone has an avatar. Here's an avatar example where the bottom line is lost:

http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...27#post2184127

But usually more things are overlayed if there is no avatar.

Off hand, I can think of a couple of workarounds: (1) look for a post that doen't contain a quote (2) bring up the poster's profile. I think all the options are available there.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2014-Feb-05 at 11:42 PM. Reason: A correction - it isn't about a mouseover, but a click on the name.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Additional note - it appears that the error mentioned in the last two posts may be IE8 specific. I can confirm it happens in IE 8, but in passing today I noticed the quote wasn't overlying the relevent text in (I think) Chrome. I don't have access to the other browsers right now, but I'll check and compare results in different browsers later today. I wanted to mention this now, though, in case anyone was looking into it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Okay, I verified it - in IE 11 and recent Chrome and Firefox versions, the quote is under the informational text. In IE 8 and I think IE 9 the quote overlays the text.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    ... In IE 8 and I think IE 9 the quote overlays the text.
    In IE8 the quote overlays the menu text in compatibility mode but not when compatibility mode is off. Unfortunately, it's compatibility mode that gets me the correct menus at the top.

I can't wait until my company switches browsers. It's a big problem picking a standard because our company relies on a lot of 3rd party programming and each has it's own prefered browser.

The forum changes an all upper cased post into all lower cased letters. The forum does not make "Brain Blessed" all upper case, which is the norm.
    Solfe

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    I've mentioned it before here and in another thread, and am still having the same problem.

No matter what OpSys I'm using (WinXP or Linux) or whether I'm using IE8 or Firefox or whether I'm using a different computer from home (I have several to choose from) it STILL normally takes 4 TRIES BEFORE I CAN LOG IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometime, very late at night, it works first time but I don't want to always have to log in at 2 A.M..

This has been going on for MONTHS.

Please do something about it.
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

I haven't yet found a solution for the IE8 problem. I'll try a little more to see if I can figure something out.

AstroRockHunter, when you try to log in, what error does it give? The usual wrong username/password error? I can try logging in as you to mess with things, but I'd need to change your password first since I don't know yours, so I might try that in a few days if that's okay.

Also first try changing your password. I imagine you've tried it already, but try it again just in case. VBulletin can be weird sometimes, and weirder things have happened than it not liking a specific username/password combination, or even not letting you log in sometimes because you haven't changed it enough recently without telling you. VBulletin is nuts. I think it's sentient, and has angsty-teenager-like tendencies.

I've just tried to post twice in the Medical Comments discussion below. The board behaves like I've posted, but the posts appear to be somewhere off in the aether. The posts are not showing up. This is as much a test as a report.

[Edit: Okay, _this_ post showed up...]
    Last edited by Moose; 2014-Feb-20 at 04:16 PM.