Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Report problems for the Build Team

I am seeing double posts in the medical comments discussion (Moose's last post). I noticed on one of my posts that the "navigate away" pop up appears when "post a quick reply". Clicking "Leave" allowed me to post, while clicking the other button simply closes that dialog box.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I've just tried to post twice in the Medical Comments discussion below. The board behaves like I've posted, but the posts appear to be somewhere off in the aether. The posts are not showing up. This is as much a test as a report.

[Edit: Okay, _this_ post showed up...]
    I soft-deleted one from a double post by you, figuring it was accidental rather than intentional, the other (2nd in this case) still shows up, and was quoted by Gillianren.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Thanks, Slang.

An oddity today, several times now I've scrolled up or down, and the top or bottom of the page is blank white space. Then if I try to click on a new page, the new one is blank white space. I've had to leave the internet and come back to the Forum a couple of times now.
    And for some reason I can't see the cursor while writing this post.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

An oddity today, several times now I've scrolled up or down, and the top or bottom of the page is blank white space. Then if I try to click on a new page, the new one is blank white space. I've had to leave the internet and come back to the Forum a couple of times now.
    And for some reason I can't see the cursor while writing this post.

EDIT: And it happened again on this page, it's like the screen has erasers at its edges.

It's not CQ. Your graphics drivers are struggling. You need to reboot your computer (preferably do a full shutdown then restart.)

If you have a laptop, you might want to see if the bios has a temp sensor for CPU and case. Your laptop may be overheating. If the temp is abnormally high, you need to make sure all the fans are functional and the air vents not stuffed with dust or lint.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It's not CQ. Your graphics drivers are struggling. You need to reboot your computer (preferably do a full shutdown then restart.)

If you have a laptop, you might want to see if the bios has a temp sensor for CPU and case. Your laptop may be overheating. If the temp is abnormally high, you need to make sure all the fans are functional and the air vents not stuffed with dust or lint.
    Thanks, I will.

I had an odd occurrence - when I posted to a thread today, when I clicked to go elsewhere on the board, I got a leave page/stay warning. On another tab I checked to see if the post had gone through and it hadn't.

I copied the text and tried posting in the new tab and got the same thing. I tried one more time, then stopped trying for awhile, but checked the thread again to see if the post was there (no).

Now I came back after a couple of hours and saw my posts tripled. (I've now deleted two duplicates).

I'll be curious to see what happens when I post now . . .

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Interesting - now it went through just fine.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Interesting - now it went through just fine.
    That's pretty much what happened to me in late feb (detailed above). Seems to be occasional and intermittent.

Not exactly a problem, but the site seems to look very slightly different to me the past couple of days. Has there been a font change or something?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The only thing I noticed was the spacing on some of the thread descriptions. When the thread has an icon (such as the paperclip for attachments), they are in extra space below the "Started by" line.

I don't know if it's my memory failing and it's always been like that, or if it is different.

No, it's looked different to me the last few days.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    The only thing I noticed was the spacing on some of the thread descriptions. When the thread has an icon (such as the paperclip for attachments), they are in extra space below the "Started by" line.

I don't know if it's my memory failing and it's always been like that, or if it is different.
    I noticed the change too. It started a few days ago.

Thanks for the confirmations; I'm not losing my mind after all. Perhaps the font is slightly smaller?

Among other things, the announcement of how many people are viewing a particular section is now in superscript.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Has anyone looked into the problem that I posted about here last July, and again in the other thread that was started when we could not post in this thread, about the login problem I've been having.

As a refresher, USUALLY (not shouting, just emphisizing) I have to enter my user name and password 4 or 5 times before I'm shown to be logged in.

Very occasionally I can get thru on the first try, but not usually.

When I enter the data, I get the "thank you for logging in" and "you will be redirected shortly" screen. Then I have to log in again.
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Astro, that sounds like something specific to you. I think you said previously that you've tried logging in from different locations with different hardware? Maybe you might (with moderator permission - ask first!) try creating a second test account? That could eliminate the possibility of some kind of problem (maybe data corruption?) with your ID data.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Also, if you have tried to access the board from different hardware and locations, also verify that you're accessing with different ISPs. Oh, that suggests another thought - if you set up an account for testing with moderator permission, you could try having another board user try accessing it as well. If you get the same problem with another ID, and they don't, it would nail down that it's a problem local to you.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Also, if you have tried to access the board from different hardware and locations, also verify that you're accessing with different ISPs. Oh, that suggests another thought - if you set up an account for testing with moderator permission, you could try having another board user try accessing it as well. If you get the same problem with another ID, and they don't, it would nail down that it's a problem local to you.
    Van:
    Thank you for the suggestions, but as I stated in my earlier posts, I not only use different hardware I also use different browsers and different operating systems.

Sometimes, I get in first time. Most times, it takes 4 or 5 tries. Fewer times, I get in the second or third time. When I can get in first try, it is usually between midnight and 4am local time. Sometimes I get in first time early morning, say between 7 and 9am.

About the only thing that I can think of, if it is not on the CQ end is that my ISP screws things up. If it is that, I don't know what to do.

However, I can't make any adjustments or inquiries until I hear from the build team about what they find on their end. Remember, my problems did not start until after the "upgrade and improvement" (as I recall, they moved to a new server and upgraded the board software) last summer.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

Quote Originally Posted by AstroRockHunter View Post
    Van:
    Thank you for the suggestions, but as I stated in my earlier posts, I not only use different hardware I also use different browsers and different operating systems.
    At different locations, or all at one place?

Sometimes, I get in first time. Most times, it takes 4 or 5 tries. Fewer times, I get in the second or third time. When I can get in first try, it is usually between midnight and 4am local time. Sometimes I get in first time early morning, say between 7 and 9am.
    And just another thought - are you disconnected when you use the "remember me?" option? Why are you logging in repeatedly?

However, I can't make any adjustments or inquiries until I hear from the build team about what they find on their end. Remember, my problems did not start until after the "upgrade and improvement" (as I recall, they moved to a new server and upgraded the board software) last summer.
    Could be that the new server location is a problem for you. I just doubt you're going to hear much from the build team. Since this seems to be an isolated problem, my bet would be that it's at your end, though just possibly tied to your account information on the server. A test account would be a way to check the second option.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well, now something else is happening.

There are no spaces between the "currently active user" names, and the font just shifted for a few minutes. Also the "quick reply' box now extends off the right side of the page by an inch or so.

I hate to bring up my old complaint again, but it looks like it might be necessary:

Communicate, build team! Communicate! It takes very little time and keeps members happy(er).

At different locations, or all at one place?
    All at one place, my home.

And just another thought - are you disconnected when you use the "remember me?" option? Why are you logging in repeatedly?
    I don't use the "remember me" option. I choose to log in everytime.

Could be that the new server location is a problem for you. I just doubt you're going to hear much from the build team. Since this seems to be an isolated problem, my bet would be that it's at your end, though just possibly tied to your account information on the server. A test account would be a way to check the second option.
    Yes, a test account would determine if the problem was with my equipment or with my ISP. As for this being an "isolated problem" let me ask if anyone who chooses not to use the "remember me" option is having this problem?

On one of my computers, I'll try using the "remember me" option and see if the problem changes.

I've dropped a PM to Cory and NoisyAstronomer asking them to take a look
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

OK, now I've entered the twilight zone.

As I said in my last post, on this computer running Linux and using Iceweasel (latest Firefox release) I checked the "remember me" box when I logged on. I left the browser (dinner time, we must keep our priorties straight) without logging off, and came back online later.

Came to the fourm page and was not logged in. Logged again again (4 tries) checking the "remember me" box again. Read a few posts and left to other sites again without logging out.

Came back to the forum, was not logged on. Without logging in, I read a couple of posts. Lo and behold when I went back to the top of the page I found that I was logged in.

Just to prove that I had not lost it. I left and did other things and came back. Was not logged in. Refreshed the forum page. Still not logged in. Went to read a couple of posts, suddenly, I'm logged in.

This is the freshest operating system I have. I loaded it just last night so I don't think that it is a problem with bad data on my computer.

I've found the problem.

It was a kinda me, kinda them sort of thing. Let me explain.

Back on July 17, 2013 I made the first complaint about this problem. Obviously nothing was done about it between then and now.

It was "kinda them" because they upgraded the site and did not
    a) Did not explain the full ramifications of this upgrade.
    b) Obviously did not understand themselves the full ramifications of this problem.

It was "kinda me" because when they upgraded the site I
    a) Continued the use the bookmark to the forum page that I used before the software upgrade.

As I stated in my last post, "remember me" did not work until I went to read a post or thread.

This morning, I wondered if going through the CQ home page would make a difference. So I went there and, lo and behold, I was automatically logged in. I never used the "remember me" on the CQ home page, only the BAUT forum page. I went the the forum page thru CQ and I was logged in.

I logged out of the forum, got the log out message, went back to the forum page and re-bookmarked it. Guess what?

To explain, my original bookmark took me to this address:
    cosmoquest/forum
    The new bookmark takes me too this address:
    cosmoquest/forum/forum.php

See the difference?

So, it was a "kinda me" "kinda them" sort of thing.

It seems on Go Advanced, the button for "more smileys" has disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It seems on Go Advanced, the button for "more smileys" has disappeared.
    Not for me.. (ie8)

Possible problem with your pop-up settings?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Not for me.. (ie8)

Possible problem with your pop-up settings?
    No, the "more" button seems to be just covered up by the still unexplained right-expanded reply box. I tried changing settings, changing code, nothing helped.