Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Report problems for the Build Team

I'm not sure if this rises to the level of a problem, or if there is anything that can be done about it on the CQ side, but I noticed that when members post inline links to videos, Taptalk displays them as a frame from the video on my iPhone, omitting the text.

So something that looks like the following on my computer.
    I can't believe that the New York Times caught a giant bolide on video.

Looks like this on Taptalk:
    I can't believe that the
    [VIDEO FRAME HERE]
    caught a giant bolide on video.

Replacing the text with the video frame eliminates any information contained in the text; in this case, the source of the video is lost.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Greetings,

I find navigation of the forum to be both cumbersome and erratic in its behavior. As but one example, executing a "back" to go from a subforum to the main index page typically--but not always--initially functions to take me back as desired, but then pauses and reverts to the top of the main index page. I have never experienced that kind of behavior with other fora.

Also, the "Go to last post" function initially goes to the last post and then bounces to the top of the page.

Best regards,
    ES
    Last edited by EigenState; 2014-Mar-28 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Add comment on go to last post

I've never seen that happen here, at least not that I can remember. Is this something that happens across different browsers, and on different machines?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Firefox. I do not experience the problem at other fora running vBulletin.

Other forums may not be running the same combination of forum plugins that affect the scripting (and I think this may be scripting related).

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Hi, everyone! Sorry for the delayed response. I've been way behind on emails... and that's how I keep track of forum stuff, too. I'm digging self out today!

Cory's been holed up somewhere in a programming cave working on some backend stuff for CosmoQuest, but I can poke at him electronically to take a look at some of the issues in this thread.

Thanks!

The look of the forum should be fixed. People were adding CSS for the rest of the site and not really specifying where those changes would take place, so they took place everywhere, so I fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I'm not sure if this rises to the level of a problem, or if there is anything that can be done about it on the CQ side, but I noticed that when members post inline links to videos, Taptalk displays them as a frame from the video on my iPhone, omitting the text.
    This is a problem with Tapatalk, which we sadly can't do anything about. Tapatalk doesn't really allow customization.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroRockHunter View Post
    Has anyone looked into the problem that I posted about here last July, and again in the other thread that was started when we could not post in this thread, about the login problem I've been having.
    I responded to this earlier, but you must have missed it. You've already answered the error part, so ignore that, but let's try the rest if you're up for it.

AstroRockHunter, when you try to log in, what error does it give? The usual wrong username/password error? I can try logging in as you to mess with things, but I'd need to change your password first since I don't know yours, so I might try that in a few days if that's okay.

Also first try changing your password. I imagine you've tried it already, but try it again just in case. VBulletin can be weird sometimes, and weirder things have happened than it not liking a specific username/password combination, or even not letting you log in sometimes because you haven't changed it enough recently without telling you. VBulletin is nuts. I think it's sentient, and has angsty-teenager-like tendencies.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I responded to this earlier, but you must have missed it. You've already answered the error part, so ignore that, but let's try the rest if you're up for it.
    No, I don't get any error message, as I said before.

I enter my login name and password.
    The screen saying "Thank you for logging in, AstroRockHunter. If you are not redirected please click here."
    Then I am redirected to the forum page and I am not logged in.

So, no error message.

Changing to the /php url has helped but there are still some funny cliches that may be the fault of my ISP. I'm still looking into that.
    problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back (Piet Hein)
    I cook with wine, and sometime I even add it to the food. (W.C. Fields)
    I don't ask stupid questions. I just make stupid statements!!!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    All truths are simple to understand, once they are found. The challenge is finding them. (attrib. to Galileo)

There tend to be a lot of funny cliches on April 1st.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Strange glitch; the posting is very slow, and the latest post replies are only showing up on the front page and in-thread, not on the subforum pages (Off Topic Babbling, Q&A, etc.)

EDIT: Never mind, it just stopped.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I seem to have "stuck posts". In the Canted from Launch thread, when I hit post, I get a "loading" message in the tab and it just doesn't go away. My posts do in fact appear if I open another tab and look at the thread, but that tab is just plain stuck. I am using a very old browser, but it has worked in the past.

Classilla - 9.3.2 may not be supported, but it was working a week ago. Something has changed. I am not suggesting unrolling changes so I can use this browser, I just want to leave a data point for troubleshooting. It has a custom script stop, deactivated Javascript and a user id like an Android cell phone (Nokia I think).
    Solfe

This evening, I ran Spybot. Now, the site isn't accepting my login on Opera. Now, I'm out-of-date--XP and version 12 (I've hated the new versions of Opera, and the computer is, shall we say, not new), but this is a brand-new problem. Which did not help a momentary "have I been banned?" freakout before I went over to Firefox.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I seem to have "stuck posts". In the Canted from Launch thread, when I hit post, I get a "loading" message in the tab and it just doesn't go away. My posts do in fact appear if I open another tab and look at the thread, but that tab is just plain stuck. I am using a very old browser, but it has worked in the past.
    The same happened to me a few times. Not always, but sometimes. I'm on Win8 and IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    This evening, I ran Spybot. Now, the site isn't accepting my login on Opera. Now, I'm out-of-date--XP and version 12 (I've hated the new versions of Opera, and the computer is, shall we say, not new), but this is a brand-new problem. Which did not help a momentary "have I been banned?" freakout before I went over to Firefox.
    This is a problem I am still having.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I'm still thinking it over, Gillian. I'm thinking that maybe spybot partially clobbered a cookie that the login script references. Do you have an error message you could quote? The exact wording might help clarify this.

Without the error message, the first thing I'd try from opera is hitting the logout button if you can find one from the failed login attempt, then refreshing the page and logging in from scratch.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

It tells me that my user name or password is incorrect. It's the page I would get if one of them actually were.

"You can't erase icing."

Okay, I'm finding some references to site login problems on Opera. (Login problems to facebook were noticed in Opera 10.5.) The problem related to facebook-related cookies needing to be deleted after an upgrade. On the tentative hypothesis that something similar may be happening, I recommend trying their recommended course of action (which I've quoted but updated to CQ):

1. Click on the O menu – Settings – Preferences.
    2. Click the Advanced Tab.
    3. Select Cookies – Manage Cookies.
    4. Search for any Cosmoquest, BAUT, or Bad Astronomy Universe Today related cookie(s) and delete them.
    5. Try logging in again.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Nope, no good. Thanks for trying, though.

"You can't erase icing."

Today and last night, the Forum is very slow.

EDIT: Aaaaand of course the minute I posted this, the problem went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    EDIT: Aaaaand of course the minute I posted this...
    ...I started a thread about it.
    Or did I. All I know is they were timestamped the same. I don't know how many minutes it took to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    , the problem went away.
    I don't think so.

I have a strange issue with the forum. I am using a chromebook to access the forum.

When I hit "new posts", instead of the red and blue envelope image for each thread, I see images of people. Now for the odd part. I had thought these were avatars of users, but they aren't. They are thumbnails of people I vaguely know on Facebook. These people are not friends of mine, they are friends of friends.

I have cleared my cache and rebooted, and it has not fixed itself.

I can provide a screenshot, but since these are people sort of I know, I'd rather use a PM.
    Solfe

I don't know if this is for the build team or who, but when I try to visit the url http://www.cosmoquest.org/forum --- I keep getting redirected to an https:// url that won't load properly for me.

Yesterday's issue seems to have been resolved. Maybe a server upgrade or something was happening. We don't know. And that's the problem: WE DON'T KNOW. My major gripe with all the problems last year was the lack of communication. We really need the build team to come on and tell us they're working on it, or what the fix was, or SOMETHING.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Even if they said "it wasn't anything we did" (provided it was the truth)...

I managed to fix my issue with the chromebook. I logged out of facebook and then cleared the cache. The correct envolope images are back.

Maybe it is a chromebook thing.
    Solfe

Hey, everyone. As far as I know there have been no changes involving the forum in the past week. At least no deliberate changes on the part of the programmers. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by FarmMarsNow View Post
    I don't know if this is for the build team or who, but when I try to visit the url http://www.cosmoquest.org/forum --- I keep getting redirected to an https:// url that won't load properly for me.
    Is there a setting in your browser that automatically changes http -> https? That shouldn't be redirecting there. remove the 's' from https://cosmoquest.org/forum/ and it should look normal?

Quote Originally Posted by NoisyAstronomer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmMarsNow View Post
    Is there a setting in your browser that automatically changes http -> https? That shouldn't be redirecting there. remove the 's' from https://cosmoquest.org/forum/ and it should look normal?
    I missed this and can't reproduce now.. Was there experimenting with HTTP Strict Transport Security, at Cosmoquest webserver level or hosting maybe? That could explain it, at least if FarmMarsNow doesn't use I.E. ...

ETA: never mind, that would have affected lots and lots of users. Do you have an option that forces HTTPS for everything when only part of a website uses or has used HTTPS? Which browser? Any extensions in use?
    Last edited by slang; 2014-Jun-06 at 11:53 AM. Reason: eta