Thread: Nautilus-X Spacecraft: White House Petition

Nautilus-X Spacecraft: White House Petition

White House online petition website: http://wh.gov/lZkwz

To cross the first threshold and be searchable within WhiteHouse.gov, a petition must reach 150 signatures within 30 days. To cross the second threshold and require a response, a petition must reach 100,000 signatures within 30 days. You may have seen the response they gave to the petition to build a Death Star in the news (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-1...-house/4462332).

This petition is asking the US government to fund the NASA designed Nautilus-X Spacecraft in cooperation with the United Nations. The worlds first spaceship!

Nautilus-X is a multi-mission space exploration vehicle designed by the Technology Applications Assessment Team of NASA. It would be the first spaceship to travel solely in space, and not return to earth after each mission.

The spacecraft is designed for long duration (up to two years) space journeys for a six-person crew. In order to limit the effects of microgravity on human health, the spacecraft is equipped with a centrifuge.

The spacecraft itself is proposed to be relatively cheap by manned spaceflight standards as it is projected to only cost US$3.7 billion. In addition, it may only need 64 months of work.

Websites:

White House Online Petition Website:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...eship/8mRg8yDQ

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus-X

News.com.au:
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...-1226006485082

As much as I admire the effort, this seems to ignore how the budgetary process works in the US government.
    What does God need with a starship?

Quote Originally Posted by Sardonicone View Post
    As much as I admire the effort, this seems to ignore how the budgetary process works in the US government.
    That seems to be the case with most White House petitions

It isn't clear to me that the budgetary process works in the US government.

See my avatar ! I think this kind of spacecraft is the future of the solar system exploration.
    Alas I doubt this will be considered soon by the US government. And this idea of going with the United Nations is , IMO a big mistake , both from the political and pratical point of view.
    Last edited by galacsi; 2013-Nov-16 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJRyan View Post
    To cross the first threshold and be searchable within WhiteHouse.gov, a petition must reach 150 signatures within 30 days. To cross the second threshold and require a response, a petition must reach 100,000 signatures within 30 days. You may have seen the response they gave to the petition to build a Death Star in the news (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-1...-house/4462332).

This petition is asking the US government to fund the NASA designed Nautilus-X Spacecraft in cooperation with the United Nations. The worlds first spaceship!
    So the moral is, if you want your petition taken seriously, put it in good company! People will read about the Nautilus-X alongside the Death Star, and it will make them think "Yes, these are both really good ideas!"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It makes me sad that the Death Star can get so many signatures, while Nautilus-X . . .

I like rotating rings more than Aldins tethered cycler ideas. If anything, I might make it a bit bigger...

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    If anything, I might make it a bit bigger...
    I think just getting a working proof of concept up there is ambitious enough for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
    That seems to be the case with most White House petitions
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Robot View Post
    It isn't clear to me that the budgetary process works in the US government.
    I think in principle the process should work, however the current climate, well perhaps the climate for the past several decades,
    indicate this is more and more the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I think just getting a working proof of concept up there is ambitious enough for now.
    Yes, yes, a million times yes. I can't wait to see if this is going to work - the science problems always need solved first.
    Engineering, while still vital, is a LOT easier after a concept shows the idea is workable.
    What does God need with a starship?

I think in principle the process should work, however the current climate, well perhaps the climate for the past several decades,
    indicate this is more and more the case.
    In theory, theory and practice are the same; in practice, they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Yes, but a large cycler constructed over time launched out of earth orbit might give you a two-fer. Imaging a larger ring--the cycler itself. The stages needed to push it to the velocity needed can detach, and become a wet stage station to be left in Mars orbit if it slows itself down.

Then all you need to transfer crew would be a dragon spacecraft atop a Falcon heavy to act as a fast taxi. They dock to the cycler, and travel in style.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Yes, but a large cycler constructed over time launched out of earth orbit might give you a two-fer. Imaging a larger ring--the cycler itself. The stages needed to push it to the velocity needed can detach, and become a wet stage station to be left in Mars orbit if it slows itself down.

Then all you need to transfer crew would be a dragon spacecraft atop a Falcon heavy to act as a fast taxi. They dock to the cycler, and travel in style.
    Now imagine they build the Nautilus demonstrator module sooner rather than later, by not altering the plans on the fly and just using the current already-approved configuration. Then they get a ship that exists and can be modified easily (by spacecraft standards) to travel all over the inner Solar system, not in as much style but with far more substance-- like actually having hardware in operation, not just pretty plans.