Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Night of The Doctor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Night of The Doctor

Here it is, a mini prequel.

This whole thing is more complex than I thought it would be. For The Doctor, that really isn't much of a spoiler.
    Solfe

Only ten days now. My wife and I are working through the massive boxed set I just got (everything since 2005) but no way she'll be up to speed by the time this airs. We're only 2/3 of the way through series 2.

I've been quite surprised and amazed that my wife has suddenly become a fan. She didn't think much of it before, but we watched the first 9th Doctor episode from 2005 together and she got hooked. She really likes Rose.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Only ten days now.
    According to BBC America's website, it's only 9 days.

...and apparently it will be aired live, ie. looking at my local listings, it airs at 11:50 AM on the 23rd.
    Last edited by R.A.F.; 2013-Nov-14 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    According to BBC America's website, it's only 9 days.

...and apparently it will be aired live, ie. looking at my local listings, it airs at 11:50 AM on the 23rd.
    Yes, 9 days. I thought today was the 13th for some reason!

Yes, 9 days. I thought today was the 13th for some reason!
    Actually, I thought you had it right, and The Night of the Doctor was to air on the 24th.

If Solfe hadn't started this thread, causing me to look into it, I would never have known...

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Here it is, a mini prequel.

This whole thing is more complex than I thought it would be. For The Doctor, that really isn't much of a spoiler.
    Wow! Just wow! I've sent the link off to my more anoracky friends. Boy, do I feel rewarded for having watched every broadcast episode ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Wow! Just wow! I've sent the link off to my more anoracky friends. Boy, do I feel rewarded for having watched every broadcast episode ever!
    I doubt that very much, unless you're pushing 60. And British.
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2013-Nov-15 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    I doubt that very much, unless you're pushing 60. And British.
    Little Things among Whovians.
    Solfe

My wife and I fell into the Tom Baker series and a few after that, then drifted away. This might bring us back...

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    My wife and I fell into the Tom Baker series and a few after that, then drifted away. This might bring us back...
    I had a dream of some type of contest where all the actors were discussing roles, and I was to cast a vote for favorite doctor. I couldn't vote for any one actor--and that was the winning answer. Tom congratulated me. Very moving at the time--my own Batkid moment.

I'd forgotten it was going to be in November, rather than Christmas Eve.

Pfft. Method acting the Timelord bit... I can't believe how good this Doctor looks.
    Solfe

[Moderator hat off.]

As a big fan of Big Finish (and #8's Companions in particular), I was delighted to see them get a nod here.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    [Moderator hat off.]

As a big fan of Big Finish (and #8's Companions in particular), I was delighted to see them get a nod here.
    "...Charley, C'rizz, Lucie, Tamsin and Molly..."

Nice touch.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    "...Charley, C'rizz, Lucie, Tamsin and Molly..."

Nice touch.
    Didn't mention Alex Foreman though...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Didn't mention Alex Foreman though...
    That would have been too much of "Robot Roll Call!"

Solfe

Moved from BABBling to SM@L as a more appropriate location.

I just realized my big box set starts with number nine. I sort of wish it had had the TV movie with number 8.

And it's too bad that the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, isn't in the upcoming anniversary special. Nor are any of the surviving Doctors before number 8.

I just realized my big box set starts with number nine. I sort of wish it had had the TV movie with number 8.
    It's not a terribly good movie, though McGann is terrific. Better to download a Big Finish audio or two if you want something with the Eighth Doctor.

And it's too bad that the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, isn't in the upcoming anniversary special. Nor are any of the surviving Doctors before number 8.
    That's what they're telling us, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    It's not a terribly good movie, though McGann is terrific. Better to download a Big Finish audio or two if you want something with the Eighth Doctor.
    I did actually see the movie a few months ago on BBC America. As I don't remember anything about it, I guess your assessment of "not terribly good" is correct!

There's a reason that Doctor Who's 50th is on 23 November: besides their names, Doctor Who and Doctor Strangelove have one thing in common: they both had their premieres pre-empted by the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

The Ain't it cool news website has a page devoted to news re. the 50th anniversary special, and other Who stuff.

Did anyone watch the Science of Dr Who last night?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Did anyone watch the Science of Dr Who last night?
    Dang, missed that. Too busy watching series 2 on Blu-Ray. Hopefully Comcast will have it on demand for a while.

I liked it, as far as it went. Wish Cox discussed dimensional transcendence, but I liked how the Doctor kept verbally undercutting him.

Oh. Wow. I had no idea. That's cool; I should check that out.

I'm still curious to know how he managed to see every single broadcast episode, given that a sizeable chunk of those episodes are lost, some presumably for ever.

I'd hate to guess people's ages, sight unseen, but I believe that two members of this board are over 70. I could be misremembering, but it is possible.

I saw Spearhead from Space in 1983... Which is long after the original air date. The lost episodes weren't lost immediately and I bet they aired for years before being lost.
    Solfe

Last night, BBC3, showed three 'favourite' episodes, back-to-back. They were all supposed to involve favourite monsters, but not a single Dalek!
    And two out of three were Tennant Doctors - surely Ecclestone or any of the others had some good monsters?

But the real pain was the young presenter who was deputised to do the infill between the episodes, and to introduce clips of other monsters in that interim.
    (Do they still a break between episodes to give time to change the film reels? I think not!)
    He seemed to be a reject from yoof TV, cavorting around the TARDIS set, affecting an Estuary accent and getting all 'enthusiastic' in a false manner. I got tired of him in a very short time, so thank goodness for the 'Mute' button and I hope he isn't part of the rest of the celebrations.

But lovely to see Rose Tyler (Billie Piper), Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman) and Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) again, even if the last included the most unlikely but plot unknotting demouement in Doctor History!
    John
    Last edited by JohnD; 2013-Nov-16 at 10:38 AM.

On Thursday the old 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' Dr Who Xmas Special was on.
    Featuring Tennant as the 'Chairman' and Bernard Cribbins and Catherine Tate as team guests.

Quite good, I missed it the first time round.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I guess I should check and see what BBC America is doing. But we're too busy watching the boxed set. We're in the middle of series 3 at the moment. I've been noticing that at intense moments, David Tennant's Scottish accent comes out a little!