Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need beta testers for new CosmoQuest Android app.

Need beta testers for new CosmoQuest Android app.

Hello everyone. I need a few people with Android devices to install an apk (file type for android applications) and go through a new application we're working on and look for bugs/glitches. In a perfect world I would like these people to test it decently well today and post any found bugs into this thread. Please remember when reporting a bug to tell me what kind of android device you have and what android version it is running. If you are interested in helping, please email info@cosmoquest.org and we will email you back the link to the apk. (Just click the link on your android device and it will ask you to install. It will also warn you that it is potentially harmful, but the good news is I am not evil so don't worry too much over that). There is a bit of a rush on this because it is for my Master's Project and I am presenting on Wednesday.

Is the app for accessing the message board or is it one of the "citizen science" functions?

Nick

So it isn't intrinsically harmful then? It's only harmful in that you *could* do something harmful if you *wanted* to? Sorry dude, but that statement just raises too many red flags for me. You might want to reconsider how you ask for assistance.... IMHO of course.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

It is an educational gaming app that will fund CosmoQuest

I was just warning people what the Android device will say when they go to download it. It is the equivalent if windows warning you every time you go to run a .exe.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    So it isn't intrinsically harmful then? It's only harmful in that you *could* do something harmful if you *wanted* to? Sorry dude, but that statement just raises too many red flags for me. You might want to reconsider how you ask for assistance.... IMHO of course.
    It's basically just an unsigned app. It's no big deal.

I have installed the app. It's harmless, you can actually get to learn something :-)

Helge

Thanks for the clarification. I still think it could have been communicated better, but that's fine.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Device: Samsung Galaxy S III

Haven't found any malfunctions as such, but have some comments.
    * Ask user if it's ok to download images when not on a WiFi network
    * If/when logging in a second time, ask user to download images again
    * The menu is tiny, difficult choose correct menu item - 'main menu' to the right is a good thing though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-12-06 21.31.01.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	539.9 KB 
ID:	18813

--
    Helge

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I still think it could have been communicated better, but that's fine.

CJSF
    With less humour?

(I'd sign up, but am expecting to be called by a client today.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

I am running the beta on two devices at the moment, one of which is rather ancient.

Device 1 is an HTC Evo V running Android 4.0.3, and is have not had any problems with the app so far.
    Device 1:
    "Earth or Not Earth" mode: no issues
    "Matching" mode: no issues
    "Pick Two" mode: no issues
    Facebook interface/sharing: no issues

Device 2 is a Nook running Android 2.2.1, and has run into a display issue which prevents two of the play modes from working.
    Device 2:
    "Earth or Not Earth" mode: I have attached a photo of the screen.
    "Matching" mode: Same display issue as "Earth or Not Earth" mode.

Name:	IMAG0428.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	18814

Cheers,
    Nathan M.

Quote Originally Posted by snutten View Post
    Device: Samsung Galaxy S III

Haven't found any malfunctions as such, but have some comments.
    * Ask user if it's ok to download images when not on a WiFi network
    * If/when logging in a second time, ask user to download images again
    * The menu is tiny, difficult choose correct menu item - 'main menu' to the right is a good thing though

Name:	2013-12-06 21.31.01.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	539.9 KB 
ID:	18813

--
    Helge
    Good point on that asking to download when not on WiFi. That slipped my mind. I don't think i can get that ready before I need to have this in app store but it is definitely going to be in the first update.
    For the second thing. i need to think on that a bit more. (there will be more possible images added to the image pull before this gets released)
    for the 3rd thing... yeah you aren't the only one to say that. I have an idea on how to make it better but like the first thing its going to wait until the first update because it involves making something that will require bunches of testing.

that said the first update will likely occur rather quickly after my presentation. Thanks so much for that idea.

On another note. if you notice your scores not being saved between logging out and logging in don't worry just saw and fixed that bug. I am going to upload a new apk to my dropbox as soon i fix layout a couple other minor layout problems that were found.

Quote Originally Posted by nmillerche View Post
    I am running the beta on two devices at the moment, one of which is rather ancient.

Device 1 is an HTC Evo V running Android 4.0.3, and is have not had any problems with the app so far.
    Device 1:
    "Earth or Not Earth" mode: no issues
    "Matching" mode: no issues

Device 2 is a Nook running Android 2.2.1, and has run into a display issue which prevents two of the play modes from working.
    Device 2:
    "Earth or Not Earth" mode: I have attached a photo of the screen.
    "Matching" mode: Same display issue as "Earth or Not Earth" mode.

Name:	IMAG0428.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	18814

Cheers,
    Nathan M.
    Yeah, it seems the app just isn't going to work on an OS that old. I have few ideas about why it won't work on them. But while i was typing that i got an idea about how to fix it in a future update. I will find the breaking point and set up a version that requires a connection at all times to work on older OS-s. Good catch. Going to have to mention this somewhere in a description when i upload to Google Play

Just Uploaded a new apk with some fixes to my drop box. the same link will still work.

I receive an error on login:

"Error processing SQL:
    undefined. Restart The app
    and try again. If problem
    continues please fill out a but
    report."

The error has typos in it, hence the quotes.

I have an LG Optimus, L5670, Android version 2.3.3, Kernel verson 2.6.35.7-perf lg-electronics@si-rd10-BLD165 #2, Build number ZVJ670ZVJ, SW Version - LS670VAJ.
    Solfe

yeah I just fixed that typo. But that error being undefined pretty much means that device and/or OS doesn't like webDB. looking into it now.

updated apk again. Please redownload and install it. You will likely get that SQL again at first. Hit reload images on the bottom left and it should reset stuff. Let me know if you still get Errors like that. Also i suspect you will have some other problems with the first 2 games since your version is only 2.3.3 but let me know if it works or not. Thanks again for catching that

unrelated note. Solfe, I like your signature.

Downloaded the new apk. While the display issue affecting Android version 2.2.x appears to remain (see included picture), the first two game modes now display a solid black box with blue outline. Did not encounter any SQL errors.

The included picture contains a Nook Color and NotionInk Adam, running Android 2.2.1 and 2.2.0, respectively.

Name:	IMAG0429.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	579.9 KB 
ID:	18816

yeah as far as i can tell 2.2.x doesn't like making dataUrls. I have an idea on how to fix it but it involves the app requiring a connection constantly to play those games.
    Edit seems i was wrong the DB works fine. apperently the function toDataUrl doesn't work right on 2.2.
    Last edited by Ansr; 2013-Dec-07 at 04:56 AM.

Have Galaxy S3 - Android 4.1.2 ... no problems found (I *thought* I had a better score in the Pick 2 .. thought it said 21, but on the scoreboard says 11 .. but might just be my inflated ego talking). My second attempt scores definitely improved (after looking through the vocab cards!) .. probably too long a week for me to think coherently tonight .. but app seems to be working fine for me - nice memory/concept matching!

I am giving up on my LG Optimus, but using it, I can confirm the new version works to an extent I see buttons and such. I doesn't load images at all. This maybe my fault, I've used it for other test stuff and load a bunch of junk on it. Or it is due to the age of the phone. Most importantly, the error message has been corrected to read "Bug" instead of "But".

I am charging a second LG Optimus that I haven't used for beta testing for other people.

On my Trio Tablet, it works great with one minor issue. I can seem to resize the images and they push off the edges. It could be a setting on my device.

For the Mods and Admins, the log in is tied to our log in here. May I create a new log in "SolfeAppTest"? I don't want to be a sock.
    Solfe

In the past few days alone I've made like 5 or 6 testing accounts so i wouldn't worry to much about it.

To all the beta testers. new APK uploaded, emailed all of you. It is a release candidate so let me know how it goes.

Running today's release candidate, it's still running well on the HTC Evo V (Android 4.0.3).

The only issue I've encountered (and it's very minor) is that occasionally the "vocabulary" text is not immediately visible (even when not set to "hide"), but toggling the "Hide" and "Show" buttons resolves the issue quickly with two taps.

In attempting to reproduce it to find a pattern, it has only occurred for me upon the first time the "vocabulary" button is pressed while the app was running, and not every time.

No problems with Galaxy S3 - Android 4.1.2 - everything seems to run as expected. Would like to see menu links at the bottom either larger or as buttons. Earth peeks out from under the main screen on the left (screenshot enclosed). Could the icons for the games on the scoreboard be clickable (so, once I look at the score, I could click on the game to play again .. rather than go back to the main menu again)? Very happy with it! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-07-23-30-47_resized.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	18817

Quote Originally Posted by sschneide View Post
    No problems with Galaxy S3 - Android 4.1.2 - everything seems to run as expected. Would like to see menu links at the bottom either larger or as buttons. Earth peeks out from under the main screen on the left (screenshot enclosed). Could the icons for the games on the scoreboard be clickable (so, once I look at the score, I could click on the game to play again .. rather than go back to the main menu again)? Very happy with it! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-07-23-30-47_resized.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	18817
    Glad to know its working. Yeah i plan to do something better with those menu buttons shortly after the initial release. Same thing with the earth peaking out (seems to only happen on phone sized screens). and Yes they could be click able for the game, going to hold off on that till after first release though.

@nmillerche . hmm That is the first i am hearing about that behavior, for now i am going to assume it is only happening on the 4.0.X OS. if you figure out what causes it please let me know

BTW i just uploaded more images. they should show up when you reload images. (which btw you will be asked to do when playing earth or not earth or matching when you go past 50 images)

Oh, Ansr. We love you, but you don't do PR for a reason.

In case you all didn't hear, Ansr passed his masters thesis, aka this project, and graduated on Saturday! I tried to convince him to take that day off debugging to spend with family, but I don't think he did. ;-)

Name:	1387051850393.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	18858

Hope you all keep enjoying the app and try and beat each others high scores! When you're doing too well, I'll have to dig for more images...

Here's the Play Store link for the current: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....earthnotearth

Thumps the table four times, rhythmically, repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Thumps the table four times, rhythmically, repeatedly.

Name:	ku-medium.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	18886

Watch your avatars...