Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,891 to 1,897 of 1897

Thread: Philosophical musings of science, reality, blind men and elephants

Let sleeping dogs lie...

Well, I'll be...
    Look what I ran into in my flight from The last and final... :-

Quote Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
    I mean, what else is there to live for, really? Add cheese, wine, a baguette and some friends in a park overlooking the sea... can it get any better?
    and

lookout The intelligence of a single cell organism is based on direct sensing of real chemical phenomena, and we may be a super complicated version of that. Are you a chemical determinist, and does that assist the MIR case? Discuss.
    First he updates (and colloquialises is that a word?) Omar Khayyam, and then throws out a challenge that, (I suppose because all are so tired), no-one takes up. But I like the tone of this, (c'est le ton, qu'il fait la chanson the French say) so I'll unsheathe my rubber sword and reply.

Of course we are a version of that, super complicated and in a supercomplicated (billion to the n-th power) dynamic equilibrium and often dysequilibrium, internal and external in a multipolyphasic system. It's all electrochemical, in the present state of MDR/MIR
    (I think I've put enough superlatives and hyperbole's there to be getting along with for the present.)
    How else can you think about it?
    OK... Next question? --
    (How do you like that arrogance)
    edit
    OOooops... Does this assist MIR. Probably not at all. But MIR needs no assistance. it just is.
    Last edited by walker1001; 2014-Oct-28 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walker1001 View Post
    Of course we are a version of that, super complicated and in a supercomplicated (billion to the n-th power) dynamic equilibrium and often dysequilibrium, internal and external in a multipolyphasic system.
    Yes, that is the current scientific understanding of our situation. Just as, there was a time when the scientific understanding of our situation is that we were on a planet in the center of a universe that was very different everywhere from our planet.
    How else can you think about it?
    That was a question that could have been asked in ancient times, and was. And the suggested alternatives were always rejected on the grounds of being contrary to common sense. I presume that would also be your objection if I offered other suggestions to your question. But I'll offer them anyway:
    How else we could think of it is that we are not, in some universal and absolute way that is independent of how we think about ourselves, any of the things you just listed, expressly because those are all ways that we think about ourselves as being. So how could a way that we think of ourselves as being be independent of how we think of ourselves as being?
    That's the easy question to answer ("it can't"), but the harder answer to arrive at is, if how we think of ourselves is not what we actually are in some absolute or universal way, which of the following should we regard as being true:
    1) we might actually be, in some universal or absolute way, something other than how we think about ourselves, or
    2) it might make no sense at all to talk about what we actually are, other than how we think about ourselves, because such is the nature of words, thoughts, and communication.
    I will let you navigate that choice any way you like, as all free-thinking individuals must navigate it, but I can easily argue that if one wants to take a scientific perspective, then the only option is #2, for the simple reason that it is the only one that connects with observational testing.
    Last edited by Ken G; 2014-Oct-31 at 04:34 PM.

Good grief a Zombie thread...

I'm sorry I did not take your advice about sleeping dogs

Yes, I get that a lot from people who don't like what I'm saying, but cannot bring any evidence against it.

Thanks walker1001...