Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sherlock series 3 (?) (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Also, the old soldier (can't remember his name/rank) didn't seem to have his belt on very tight - what with only having one hand, and all.
    You have to be a better Sherlockian (or ** Irregular) than that!
    The episode was called The Sign of Three (Remember? Mary's pregnant?) in memory of The Sign of Four, in which Holmes - as in future we must call Doyle's creation, as opposed to the new incarnation, Sherlock - shows that Major Sholto, to all appearences a solid ex-military man, is a thoroughly bad piece of work. (Ooops! Plot killer!)
    This Major Sholto seems to be a solid ex-mm, but he has a scar on his career, as well as his face. I'd like them to use the new Major Sholto some more, he would be a good character in the "is he/isn't he" a villain mode, but don't suppose they will.

With the passing of Moriarty, the new villain is Mr. Magnussen. I think we can know what villainy he will perpetrate, as his name is homage to another Holmes villain, Charles Augustus Milverton, the "king of all blackmailers" in Holmes' own words.

John

My favorite of the Jeremy Brett villains was Herr Gruner (The Illustrious Client) as played by Anthony Valentine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Valentine

PS, now that I think of it, Magnussen is equal parts Milverton and Gruner--a collector
    Last edited by publiusr; 2014-Feb-08 at 07:07 PM.

Well, with the third episode, thoroughly enjoyable, I understand the preparations of the first two. I still think they could have used more mystery and less focus on setting things up, which could have been done a bit less heavily. All in all, looking forward to another set of episodes if they are planning to make more. Love all the actors and like watching them work together.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    agreed a series of twists, and I hope they get back soon. Will recommend it to friends, they say it set a record for downloads
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

He's back! Or will be! Moriarty, that is!
    John

It seems to me that they have made a completely different show with these 3 new episodes.

Someone decided that just solving Cases isn't good enough, we need more 'Soap' about the characters.

I liked the first 6 installments but found these 3 new ones almost unwatchable.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    It seems to me that they have made a completely different show with these 3 new episodes.

Someone decided that just solving Cases isn't good enough, we need more 'Soap' about the characters.

I liked the first 6 installments but found these 3 new ones almost unwatchable.
    I was only brought back into the fold by the last episode, and barely. Downright sick of Mycroft, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    He's back! Or will be! Moriarty, that is!
    I'm not a fan of this Moriarty; too much like a scruffy whinging teenager ("I'm so bored, I hate you all"). I was really glad they killed him off and am disappointed that they are bringing him back.

Add me to the "Oh just go away Moriarty" list. Recurring villains are usually boring. In the original stories he was only in two stories, and one of those was a retcon. Holmes has never needed a nemesis.

And I'm getting a bit bored of Mycroft too. The trouble with Mark Gatiss is, he's - how you say in Eenglish? - not very good.

Plus he always casts himself it seems.

I was a fan of League of Gentlemen but having also watched Psychoville I see it was his colleagues contributions that I liked.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    well I liked to idea of up to date Moriarty as a young hacker who had made it big, so many tech giants are very young and it is feasible a criminal mastermind hacker would be young and obnoxious. Mycroft is also plausible for me as the official spook, with Sherlock as the individualist. I like mark Gatiss in role. The form of Moriarty's evil genius offers plenty of up to date plot lines of course and so very topical!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I'm not a fan of this Moriarty; too much like a scruffy whinging teenager ("I'm so bored, I hate you all"). I was really glad they killed him off and am disappointed that they are bringing him back.
    Yeah, what a grating voice. Reminds me of the voice actor for Seymour Guado, a villain in Final Fantasy 10. Had to turn off the volume for that guy back in the day.

WENG CHIANG

A Doctor Who reference?

Edit to add: Ah. A DW episode that makes numerous references to Sherlock Holmes.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

I thought it was very entertaining. Holmes getting periodically more injured by Watson was priceless.

ISADORA PERSANO

"who was found stark staring mad with a match box in front of him which contained a remarkable worm said to be unknown to science".

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

I just watched the final episode of the third series, and came away disappointed. My mind was racing, trying to figure out the end game...and then he just shoots the bad guy?

BTW: I'm sick of Mycroft, too. Which is sad, because I actually like the character...in very limited quantities.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I can read this thread again!

Okay, the first one was about as meh as it could have been. Nothing really stood out apart from Watson's increasingly hostile reactions to Holmes' return. Thinking back now, I can't even recall what the actual case was that needed solving in that episode.

I liked the wedding one. I liked the interactions, especially those between Holmes and the bridesmaid. As far as the mystery went...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    At last! Yes, I'd really like to know, was it possible? Can you fatally stab someone through a belt without them noticing???
    I'm going to say no. The spike would have needed to go through a kidney after penetrating a leather belt. (I assume the belts were leather) It's not easy to get a leather punch to go through a belt, let alone shoving what was basically an ice pick in without pushing hard enough for the person being stabbed to notice.

The thing about that one that burned me was that I'd figured it was something on a time delay. I was simply at a loss as to what it could have been.

I also couldn't believe it took Holmes that long to narrow down the target.

The third one went as such a hectic pace that I found myself struggling to follow along. I thought it odd that Mary identified a "skip code" earlier, but didn't really go beyond that. Then, when she appeared in the big bad's office, I assumed that it was some sort of long con being run on the guy. She shot Sherlock with a blank to make him think Holmes was out of the picture. From then on, It just got weird.

Watson's "fight scene" with the druggie was comically bad. It made wonder if they didn't really rehearse it at all.

Once it was revealed that The Big Bad had all the information in his mind palace, it was clear what the outcome would be, I just thought Watson would be the one to do it. Holmes would jump the guy, they'd struggle, and an instant before Holmes would be killed, Watson would shoot the guy and save the day. All witnesses would agree that it was self defense and there would be a cute moment at the end where Holmes reveals he threw the fight to force the outcome.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

I was hoping what appeared to be "Google Glass", would actually turn out to be "Google Eyeball." (c'mon, it fits with the "shark stare") and Holmes would have an opportunity to pluck it out. It even fits with his playing with an eyeball in an earlier episode.

MILVERTON

A reference to the source story for episode 3.

Fred

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I have recently done a redux of this show. I had only seen from the final episode of the second series prior to a few weeks ago. Thatcham episode annoyed me for the "few lines of computer code" bit. I liked it when Moriarty revealed it was false and kind of stupid (because it was) but it still remains stupid that Sherlock fell for it. I mean he should at least know how many bits are in a byte and therefore how bloody long he would need to be tapping for to get anything vaguely executable. And why did Sherlock need to make a false confession to John? He only needed to be seen to jump.

Anyway, the very first episode was really good.

The second was filler and it was stupid how often thugs got the drop on Sherlock.

The third was pretty good.

The first episode of the second series with Irene Adler was neat in parts but also total groan in parts. She drugs him and that's her beating him? What? Sherlock is physically bested all the time. And then the bit about guessing the password was always going to be total groan. These criminal masterminds not only always wear their encryption on their sleeves but don't even thing of doing the odd l33t substitution. Adler would be taken to the cleaners by a smishing scam on 5 seconds. I did like the Coventry dilemma as a concept though.

The second episode way okay. But again with a fraudsters' best friend. I don't care how much of a Thatcherite you are. You don't secure military secrets with the password Maggie. Mrs Thatcher is spinning in her grave at such weakness. If there's one thing the series shouldn't do, it's have Sherlock guess passwords.

Series 4 premiered yesterday. No sir, I didn't like it. I have mixed feelings on following up on Mary's dark past. And that final confrontation with the perp scene; an awful lot of Hackney for a scene which takes place in Lambeth.

I watched the episode, but was distracted at a critical moment. How did he figure out who the perp was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw S4 episode 2, and have to say I didn't like it a whole lot. Things just got too weird for me, especially after the climax.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I just saw S4 episode 2, and have to say I didn't like it a whole lot. Things just got too weird for me, especially after the climax.

There wasn't really a case this time. Just Toby Jones overacting. And I love Toby Jones.

I thought the earlier program would have a microdot that dated to the 1980's in the Thatcher busts.
    No Beppo--just A.J. and the flash drive whatsit.

Sherlock comes on 7pm eastern--6 pm central tonight--so be prepared. No repeats later

Well I guess that wraps everything up on Sherlock, when the Holmes family have skeletons they really have skeletons in the closet or the well.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Better I guess. At least Sherlock had to do a few Sherlock things.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Series 4 premiered yesterday. No sir, I didn't like it. I have mixed feelings on following up on Mary's dark past. And that final confrontation with the perp scene; an awful lot of Hackney for a scene which takes place in Lambeth.
    Just watched all of S4. Got to say ... it was terrible. I thought S3 was weak, but S4 was practically unrecognisable as Sherlock. Especially the final episode. I really struggled to get to the end of that. It was full of holes, largely unbelievable and basically a poorly executed character drama full of clichés. I genuinely cannot think of a good thing to say about it.

As far as I am concerned the programme is over for me. Even if they do another series it'll take rave reviews to have me even think about watching it.