Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119
Results 3,541 to 3,551 of 3551

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

First off, I thought we were just having a conversation, not a Facebook knock down, drag out.

George just said, "Keeping an eye out for rattlesnakes" slows down your hunting. You conflated that with killing the rattlesnakes, that's on you. You're projecting some inner angst where it doesn't apply. I recognize it because I do all the time myself.

I've walked through rattlesnake country a lot. Unless there are school age children, in numbers, or dogs present, most people I know walk around them, it's not hard. And in my long life I've only ever seen *two* killed, both near a dwelling, for the previously mentioned reasons. Both lots of children, about 18 of them, and dogs were present. You can't just shoo the snakes off. This was at a cabin setting in the oak/mesquite scrublands around Lake Berryessa.

Here is the cost of a non-lethal rattlesnake bite. https://www.wideopencountry.com/actu...nake-bite-u-s/

$153,000 American. That's actually $3000 more than average. The price has been fairly constant over the last 20 years.

It's actually cheaper if the bite kills you. (Before you get to the hospital.) Funerals are only 10 to 25 thousand, depending on how much people like you.

Dr. Grant, I can't read your post without getting dizzy so I can't formulate a proper reply.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Perhaps I should clarify my thinking on the original snake topic. [And I actually just got back from W. Virginia (and Ohio) after seeing the sternwheel boats sail down river several hours before they were to line-up and race each other. But the Ohio began to rise about 20' so they had to cancel the races.]

The snake length question in W.V. was interesting and I found the logical reason for it: to not allow female timber rattlers to be devastated. Whenever I hear the word "ecosystem" then the word "balance" comes to mind. Eliminating rattlers, regardless of territory, will come with consequences even if they are deemed as somehow evil. Wise game management, often found in hunting associations, ironically, will understand the need of having a balanced number for any given species.

I've told this lesson before, because it's kind funny and helpful. A county in Texas was deemed to be overrun by coyotes. The county had saved $25,000 to buy a landfill compactor, which is important to me since it was our landfill compactor they planned to buy. But just before purchase, they decided to use it to pay someone to remove coyotes from the county. Thus, it would have to wait to the next year's budget. The following year, the judge loudly told our salesman -- apparently so the commissioners could hear his disdain -- that they could not buy the compactor, once again, but this time to pay someone to bring coyotes back into the county to address the new rat and rabbit infestation. [The third year came and the Cat salesman found out about it and sold them on their unit... Rats!]

It may sound overly confident to state that there is no shortage of rattlesnakes in S. Texas, regardless of kills or round-ups. The imagined claim of upsetting the ecosystem by killing the ones we find would likely be seen as absurd by even the most pro-game rancher. This is largely due to the remarkable protection they have in the very thorny and tall brush and cacti. Thus, W.V. and S. Texas are much different in the need for snake preservation policies.

The clever hunting phrase to "either look for rattlesnake or hunt quail" serves to keep us hunters, especially more careless novice hunters, on the senderos and roads, and out of the brush. It isn't a call to kill more rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes are not only ubiquitous in S. Texas but they are dangerous and they don't often rattle if they feel suddenly threatened, they just strike and they can cause horrendous damage. I have come across them on many occasions and not once was it a pleasant experience. They can't be trained to avoid the house or playground so, regrettably, they are killed when they are found in work and play areas. The last one I killed was 10 feet from my Dob and in total darkness. [I wisely chose to hit my key fob to turn on the truck's tail lights and there it was. FWIW, I take no pleasure in killing any.]

I don't think anyone would doubt which way the quail (Blues and Bobwhite), those that are still alive, of course, would vote regarding poisonous snake reductions in their habitat. [Roadrunners might be next on their list, but they are protected.] There are still enough bobcat and coyote to help the ecosystem maintain balance, even if a few more rattlers are taken than necessary. Besides, they will be back in more number than necessary.
    Last edited by George; 2018-Sep-14 at 06:15 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Dr. Grant, I can't read your post without getting dizzy so I can't formulate a proper reply.
    I just want to know what your metaphor about tossing coins in Macdonald's was about.
    George's most recent post hasn't moved me any farther forward in that regard.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I just want to know what your metaphor about tossing coins in Macdonald's was about.
    George's most recent post hasn't moved me any farther forward in that regard.
    I took it that he is showing that there is more to hunting, which includes work and chance...

"They're being harvested to be eaten (buying a Big Mac) and don't just walk into the game bag (coin flip with server)."

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I took it that he is showing that there is more to hunting, which includes work and chance...

"They're being harvested to be eaten (buying a Big Mac) and don't just walk into the game bag (coin flip with server)."
    And the relevance to rattlesnakes ...? And the metaphorical role of the serving staff ...?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

As I *still* don't understand your confusion Dr. Grant, I'm still unable to address the question properly, without making things worse.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

i think it's...

And the relevance to rattlesnakes ...?
    More snakes --> fewer quail --> less hamburgers (or quailburgers at the Mcdonald Obs. restaurant). [I was tickled by your prior spelling. Hmmm, is it "Mc" or "Mac" in Scotland?]

And the metaphorical role of the serving staff ...?
    Someone to flip the coin of chance (bagging quail or not), I think. Am I close, Big D?
    Last edited by George; 2018-Sep-14 at 07:36 PM.

And they end the article by stating people shouldn't kill them, but I'd like to consider just why. Perhaps they are not as numerous as our rattlers in Texas.
    Fin

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

i think it's...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison
    And the relevance to rattlesnakes ...?
    More snakes --> fewer quail --> less hamburgers (or quailburgers at the Mcdonald Obs. restaurant). ...

And the metaphorical role of the serving staff ...?
    Someone to flip the coin of chance (bagging quail or not), I think.
    Ya reckon? The context and construction made it seem like something rather less obvious was being said. Oh well.

[I was tickled by your prior spelling. Hmmm, is it "Mc" or "Mac" in Scotland?]
    Hereabouts, we have McDonald, Macdonald, MacDonald, McDonaild and M'Donald, among others. Mc and M' originated as abbreviations of Mac, so the clan is always referred to as Macdonald or MacDonald (or just plain Donald).
    I'm sure the burger place keeps the same spelling universally, but I can't say I've actually thought about it. If it's Mc, then they need to start calling that hellish salady cheesy thing a Big Mc, don't they?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

In other news, the folks at Kindle Direct Publishing have taken to sending me their newsletter in Dutch.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Hereabouts, we have McDonald, Macdonald, MacDonald, McDonaild and M'Donald, among others. Mc and M' originated as abbreviations of Mac, so the clan is always referred to as Macdonald or MacDonald (or just plain Donald).

I'm sure the burger place keeps the same spelling universally, but I can't say I've actually thought about it. If it's Mc, then they need to start calling that hellish salady cheesy thing a Big Mc, don't they?
    Yep, I had a hunch you'd have some interesting indigenous linguistics you could offer us.

My favorite "Mc" is the "McDrive" (perhaps it was "MacDrive") sign at the McDonald's in Moldova. Located in their capital, it was their only store at that time. A drive-through was unheard of for them, apparently.