Page 134 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4070

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Meanwhile, I just don't get the "selfie in front of a beautiful view" thing. We visited a spectacular viewpoint today, and the view from either side was just as pleasing as the "point" itself. I leaned on the guardrail and watched a succession of people worm their way through the crowd out on the point, reach the safety rail ... then immediately turn around, hold their phone up, suck in their cheeks, drop their jaw with their lips closed, tilt their head, raise one eyebrow, fire off a selfie, and then walk back the way they'd come. I swear they only ever looked at the view as a backdrop in the phone screen. Remarkable.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Or this:
    https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ken-first-ride

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Meanwhile, I just don't get the "selfie in front of a beautiful view" thing. We visited a spectacular viewpoint today, and the view from either side was just as pleasing as the "point" itself. I leaned on the guardrail and watched a succession of people worm their way through the crowd out on the point, reach the safety rail ... then immediately turn around, hold their phone up, suck in their cheeks, drop their jaw with their lips closed, tilt their head, raise one eyebrow, fire off a selfie, and then walk back the way they'd come. I swear they only ever looked at the view as a backdrop in the phone screen. Remarkable.

Grant Hutchison
    I don't get it either. I take a lot of photos, particularly on vacation (holiday). Lots of them are of beautiful things, and in none of them do I want me in the picture. I don't need to demonstrate to anyone that I was there. The only time I ever do a selfie-style photo is with my wife also in the photo, and even those we do pretty rarely (and more often then not, with the 35mm SLR on a timer, not the phone). And even in that case, there is often a good photographic reason for the selfie: big panoramas look beautiful to the eye, but often make poor photographs, because there is no center of interest. Putting something in the foreground, even yourself, can help the photo. But I doubt that is the reason for the selfie for most people.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hotel room refrigerators. They ALWAYS have some sort of special shelf for drinks. Which ALWAYS just throws the bottles/cans on the floor if you try to use it. Which I demonstrated to my traveling companions just moments ago.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

New Year's Eve in Times Square. Massive crowds and no toilets. People already there twelve hours before the event.

Anyone here ever done it? I think Kai might be a New Yorker.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    New Year's Eve in Times Square. Massive crowds and no toilets. People already there twelve hours before the event.

If you go...mind the puddles.

No, my aunt did it years ago and she always told us how horrible it was, so I prefer to watch on TV.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

... People already there twelve hours before the event. ...
    I listened to a news report on the radio on my way to work this morning at what would be 6:30AM in NYC. People had not only started to gather in anticipation of them opening the pens, but some had started gathering yesterday.

(And I see that my suspicions are correct. Kai is too smart for this.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    No, my aunt did it years ago and she always told us how horrible it was, so I prefer to watch on TV.
    I can even watch it on TV and get to bed at the usual time!

Oh! Here's some encouraging news about the Times Square ball drop.

This year's New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square will spotlight efforts to combat climate change when high school science teachers and students press the button that begins the famous 60-second ball drop and countdown to next year.
    https://www.chron.com/news/science/a...w-14936096.php
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh! Here's some encouraging news about the Times Square ball drop.

https://www.chron.com/news/science/a...w-14936096.php
    Can they recover some energy from all the pressure in the crowd's bladders?

At least Pasadena has the good sense to load up on port-a-potties on New Year's Eve.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Walmart is using Elton John's "Rocket Man" (without lyrics) for the background music of their public relations TV commercials.

It's a catchy tune, but if you know the lyrics, it really doesn't fit.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Walmart is using Elton John's "Rocket Man" (without lyrics) for the background music of their public relations TV commercials.

It's a catchy tune, but if you know the lyrics, it really doesn't fit.
    (Wal)Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids....

I lived in New York City from birth till I was 22, and on and off till I was about 26 and never went to it. Though my understanding is they do have porta-potties - I can't imagine an event that big without some sort of plan like that.

Never did the Thanksgiving Day parade either. Did go to a couple of the big 4th of July fireworks displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    … Never did the Thanksgiving Day parade either. ...
    Our son and his wife took their daughter to the Thanksgiving Day Parade once. They felt it was mandatory since they named her Macy.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I don't like crowds ... noise ... waiting ... weather ...

You can imagine my attitude towards parades.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I lived in New York City from birth till I was 22, and on and off till I was about 26 and never went to it. Though my understanding is they do have porta-potties - I can't imagine an event that big without some sort of plan like that.

Never did the Thanksgiving Day parade either. Did go to a couple of the big 4th of July fireworks displays.
    My wife did some Googling which indicated there were no potties. And restaurants won't let you in.

Speaking of parades, I don't get the attraction of watching them on TV. I did march in them many times in the high school band. I lived in Montana. There were ALWAYS horses in parades. It was best if the band was near the front. We had these spats, which buckled under your foot. It was just lovely taking those off.

I marched in the Great American Circus Parade in Milwaukee several times. We were always in front, but the parade route crossed itself at least once, maybe more, so there were plenty of "calling cards" from horses and elephants in our path.

I don't like crowds and noise so I avoid mass groupings as much as possible. The last few years I have going to the Santa Claus parade with my mother except the most recent one because we had to be at the high school for a play with one niece the other one was in the parade with the cadets. Some places in NS are starting to ban night time parades because last year a 4 year old got ran over because she was trying to get candy.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Honestly, you get a closer look at the Rose Parade floats on TV sometimes. You definitely get a better overall view. That sounds contradictory, but if you're three or four people back in the sidewalk crowd, especially in the popular locations, you're not getting a great view of the floats, and if you're in the grandstands, you're still missing some. There's also a Japanese band that shows up pretty regularly that dances, and they're worth watching by themselves. And if you care what the floats are made of, TV hosts will tell you!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I marched in the Great American Circus Parade in Milwaukee several times. We were always in front, but the parade route crossed itself at least once, maybe more, so there were plenty of "calling cards" from horses and elephants in our path.
    Let me revise that ...

I don't like crowds ... noise ... waiting ... weather ... horse poop ... elephant doody ...

You can imagine my attitude towards parades.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I marched in the Great American Circus Parade in Milwaukee several times. ...
    I've marched in just one parade. That was a couple of years ago - while I was in JROTC in high school. I don't recall horses.

More recently (as in maybe 30 years ago) I helped organize a float for our soccer association in a Mardi Gras parade. It was our first participation in that parade. People riding floats throw beads and candies to the spectators. Being our first time (did I mention that it was out first time?) we under-bought ('cause it was out first time). The people riding our float were nearly out of throws when the parade was only halfway finished.

So a bunch of us ran ahead of our float and caught the beads and stuff from other floats. When our float came by we handed our bounty to them so they had something to throw. Then we ran ahead again and repeated the exercise. Lessaiz le bon temps rouler!
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that the only parades in my part of the world are either sectarian marches or involve people juggling with large objects that are actually on fire.
    Not only have I never participated, I would actually run fast to avoid one.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've marched in just one parade. That was a couple of years ago - while I was in JROTC in high school. I don't recall horses.

More recently (as in maybe 30 years ago) I helped organize a float for our soccer association in a Mardi Gras parade. It was our first participation in that parade. People riding floats throw beads and candies to the spectators. Being our first time (did I mention that it was out first time?) we under-bought ('cause it was out first time). The people riding our float were nearly out of throws when the parade was only halfway finished.

So a bunch of us ran ahead of our float and caught the beads and stuff from other floats. When our float came by we handed our bounty to them so they had something to throw. Then we ran ahead again and repeated the exercise. Lessaiz le bon temps rouler!
    When I lived in New Orleans I discovered there is a whole economy of recycled beads, which is about as profitable as collecting cans for recycling. There are people they really into getting beads - at the end of a parade you'll see them carrying pounds of them. And there are companies that will buy them off of you (for a few pennies for a single necklace) and then the companies will sell the beads to the various groups that do floats in the parades, to toss out again.

I like that.

"You can't erase icing."

Apparently no one can sell automobile insurance in America without using television advertisements featuring absurdist humor.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Apparently no one can sell automobile insurance in America without using television advertisements featuring absurdist humor.
    Cheryl's getting a sheeshier she-shed!

At the moment, I'm not getting the first five minutes of Lawrence of Arabia. A blank screen and a musical overture for four and a half minutes before the titles come up. It was a thing, back in the day, but was it ever not weirdly annoying? (I wonder how many people have returned their DVD as faulty after watching three minutes of black screen.)
    On the other hand, I did like it when long films (like LoA) had an intermission in the middle. Nowadays going to the cinema is like some sort of endurance test.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    At the moment, I'm not getting the first five minutes of Lawrence of Arabia. A blank screen and a musical overture for four and a half minutes before the titles come up. It was a thing, back in the day, but was it ever not weirdly annoying? (I wonder how many people have returned their DVD as faulty after watching three minutes of black screen.)
    On the other hand, I did like it when long films (like LoA) had an intermission in the middle. Nowadays going to the cinema is like some sort of endurance test.

Grant Hutchison
    I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen you be bugged by something too old-fashioned and not something too new!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!