Page 156 of 159 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 4760

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

I think the driving culture of a region has a lot to do with it. As Swift says, the rules are determined by local politicians whose best interest is served by keeping the support of local drivers. So you'll get a lot of variation town to town, county to county, and state to state. If a place has a lot of speed demons, you'll likely have relaxed rules. Let a few deaths make the news, you get a tightening of those rules, probably promoted by the same people.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    When the road surface is obscured by snow in this part of the world, everyone is driving so slowly that it becomes a non-issue, at least in comparison to all the other issues associated with driving on snow.

Grant Hutchison
    Around here, the rare snowfalls are a signal to the yahoos with enormous 4WD pickups to drive really fast.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My mother gave me a couple of driving tips that I have always remembered:
    1) Have eyes in the back of your head if possible; and
    2) Assume that every other car is being driven by an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Around here, the rare snowfalls are a signal to the yahoos with enormous 4WD pickups to drive really fast.
    'Round here, winter time ditch divers comprise a population as diverse as the road itself: enormous 4WD pickups, muscle/sports cars, soccer mom vans/SUVs, pregnant roller skates, panel/box vans; etc. I've seen 'em all...well...their undercarriages, anway.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    In my town, they just changed one intersection to "no right turn on red", mostly motivated I think because a boy got run over and killed last year there. I was at that intersection on Saturday and watched as the car in front of me proceeded to make a right turn on red, even though the sign said not to. He also did not come to a full stop before making the turn, something else you are supposed to do.
    Sometimes when an intersection's signage is changed, people who drive through there every day get caught by surprise. Years ago I drove a certain way to work every day, and suddenly one afternoon one intersection now had a 4 way stop, and I saw it too late and blew right through it. I did a double take saying "was that a stop sign back there? That wasn't there before!!" Usually they don't go crazy enforcing a new rule in an intersection immediately after making a change for this reason. Sometimes they'll put flags or other marks near a new sign to draw attention to it, but it can still throw someone off who drives through there everyday, not expecting a new stop sign to suddenly appear one day.

New traffic lights are different, since they usually get installed over a matter of days/weeks and you know they're coming if you drive the route regularly, and they'll usually set them to flashing for a while before activating them "for real", but stop signs sprout fast and without warning.

Of course, in your situation, that driver also failed to come to a full stop before turning, but people are lazy and do that all the time. I do it sometimes if I can clearly see no one is coming, but I'm always prepared to stop regardless.
    That's one of my big problems with right-turn-on-red: drivers who do not follow the law as to how you are supposed to do it. You are supposed to come to a full stop before you make the turn (many just cruise through like it was a green light) and you are supposed to yield to other traffic. I've had so many incidents where I had the green light (and thus the right of way) and a driver making the right turn on red cut me off, that I am always paranoid and prepared to stop when I am facing another driver who has right turn on red.
    Failing to yield is worse than not coming to a full stop before proceeding. I've had people come to a full stop and then proceed to cut me off too. There are so many dumb or inattentive drivers out there, especially in the northeast (in my experience). I think driver education has gotten more lax since I took it a million years ago, and the driving test is too easy to pass.

Defensive driving is key. I always prepare for the possibility the other driver will do something dumb, like fail to yield or cut me off.

Same. None of them seem to understand inertia and the implications thereof for their heavy vehicles.

You basically have two choices here: people who don't know how to drive on snow and go 3 km/h, or people who don't know how to drive on snow and go 50 km/h. I like 25 on straights, as it allows you to let go off the gas for a few seconds to take turns at 20. That is for pure snow, not iced snow. I hate iced snow. 3km/h can be too fast to stop. 1 km/h can still be too fast. Already standing still can still be too fast.

One thing I noticed: we had major snowfall this year, and for the first time ever I saw people driving reasonably, anticipating, giving each other space. It's as if all the COVID safety measurements have made people less "ashamed" of acting safely.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Four wheel drive helps you go in the snow! It does pretty much nothing for turning or stopping.

I currently have a Kia Sportage AWD. Indeed it has little problems to drive off in the snow. It has automatically variable front/back torque which does act as a stabilisation system, so it does help a bit taking turns in that sense. But then again, there's the weight of the car. So I don't count on it helping me. When driving in snow, I just think of the car as an overloaded sled and act accordingly.

I used to rally a Lancia Delta HF integrale. Light car, constant 4WD with a torsen diff at the back. That car had absolute grip when taking off. I couldn't get it to spin its wheels even when parking 2 wheels in wet grass. This actually was a challenge when launching in a rally stage: I wanted quite some revs to get the turbo spooled up, but with zero wheel spin this was terrible on the clutch when departing. It took some special treatment to get it to turn without understeering heavily, but if you did it correctly it had amazing stability. Never drove it in snow though. Maybe for the best; the car was very stable, but once it finally lost it you needed to be very good to keep it on the road as things happened quite fast and not exactly progressively. And then my version of the integrale apparently was the most progressively acting one... Well, I'm an amateur with zero practice opportunity so it's all extra challenging for me.

My next project is an Alpine A310 V6. That should handle like a 911. In other words: take a corner in slippery conditions, and if you do it wrong you might get passed by yourself. I'm not sure if that is the car I would like most or least to let loose in the snow. As long as they didn't salt the roads at least, because I don't want to do a body-off resto too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    One thing I noticed: we had major snowfall this year, and for the first time ever I saw people driving reasonably, anticipating, giving each other space. It's as if all the COVID safety measurements have made people less "ashamed" of acting safely.
    Here, we have anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and yahoo drivers, often the same folks.

Maybe because there was less traffic, and/or those who were on the road weren't in their usual frenzied rush. Or they didn't want to get into a wreck and be forced to interact with people.

I lived in NH for close to 50 years and so many people never seemed to figure out how to drive in the snow. Like Nicolas said, they would either go too slow, holding up traffic for miles or too fast and end up in a ditch. I moved south and don't miss it one bit.

Frankly, the trestle near me has convinced me that it doesn't matter what the sign says; people will do foolish things regardless. Twelve-foot clearance does not mean 13'8"!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Four wheel drive helps you go in the snow! It does pretty much nothing for turning or stopping.
    I disagree where turning is concerned. I find that having drive to the front wheels as well as the back helps pickup trucks track better through turns in dicey conditions. For example, negotiating uphill turns on slick roads, when one can't let off the power too much, isn't a whole lot of fun with rear-wheel drive only.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

You would know better than I, I expect! Although I grew up in Montana.

People who think they have an over-unity device, or inertialess drive.
    Then they get the physics explained, and why it can't work in general.
    And they say "OK, I understand now".
    And next month have another idea for an over-unity device, or inertialess drive ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    And next month have another idea for an over-unity device, or inertialess drive ...
    I have an acquaintance that builds perpetual motion machines as art. It seems he knows more than a few ways to hide batteries, plugs, etc. so they move without actually being a perpetual motion machine. He never claims that they are perpetual motion machines. They are charming, but he will only tell the buyer the secret behind their machine. He obviously doesn't let people photograph them or examine them too closely. That drives me bonkers because I can't afford one.
    Solfe

. . . And ask the same type of questions as if this time they will get a different answer.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So you're saying that I should remove that magnet-on-a-stick from the front of my car?

So you're saying that I should remove that magnet-on-a-stick from the front of my car?
    You can however still put a fan behind your sailboat, according to Mythbusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Sure, if you aim the fan rearward. Aiming it at the sail generally only works if you're a coyote chasing a roadrunner.

Such people are a subset of a larger group that is attracted to every non-mainstream idea and every conspiracy theory they hear. I guess reality and real science isn't interesting enough for them. There are probably several doctoral dissertations in psychology to be written with explanations for this behavior.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Absolutely not. It is a terrific way to pick up nails on the road before they puncture your tires. Then you can sell the scrap metal you pick up!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Absolutely not. It is a terrific way to pick up nails on the road before they puncture your tires. Then you can sell the scrap metal you pick up!

I always thought that an electromagnet on the front of my car would be great for latching onto semitrailers during long trips. I could shut off my engine and relax while traveling the Interstates.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Delete post.

The price some people are willing to pay to be first. The subject of salmon came up in another thread and coincidentally, this came across The Wife's Facebook feed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Cost of Copper.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	26209

These are early run kings and reds at the Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. Holy tap dancing space cows. I love me some salmon but...

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    The price some people are willing to pay to be first. The subject of salmon came up in another thread and coincidentally, this came across The Wife's Facebook feed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High Cost of Copper.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	26209

These are early run kings and reds at the Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. Holy tap dancing space cows. I love me some salmon but...

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Sure, if you aim the fan rearward. Aiming it at the sail generally only works if you're a coyote chasing a roadrunner.
    If you follow the link, you'll see that blowing on the sail actually did move the boat forward. Not very fast, but forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I always thought that an electromagnet on the front of my car would be great for latching onto semitrailers during long trips. I could shut off my engine and relax while traveling the Interstates.
    And speaking of Mythbusters, they once tested the myth that you could pull up very close behind a semi and it would just tow you along aerodyamically. Worked pretty well, and was very dangerous!

Look, if any of you folks are in a place to spend $80 a pound on fish, I have some suggestions for other things you could spend your spare money on . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Hi, I'd like to order two grams of salmon, please.

Hi, I'd like to order two grams of salmon, please.
    Maybe you can use it for bait and catch something better!

Iíve paid $50-60 a pound for beef steak, but only for a rare special occasion meal. I donít even eat steak that often anymore. Salmon just isnít as important to me.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser