Page 159 of 160 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160 LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 4798

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Who put another "n" in "condemning"?!
    And who doubled all those letters in “committee”?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Not doggy-coin, Dog eCoin, but then not, for humor you know ...

Elon Musk has famously defended his sense of humor as on the spectrum, but dumping your garbage into some other envirnoment is not funny
    Hello grapes, good to see you posting, haven’t seen you here much lately. Thing I don’t get . . . What “garbage” are you referring to above?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Hello grapes, good to see you posting, haven’t seen you here much lately. Thing I don’t get . . . What “garbage” are you referring to above?
    I presume one of the many scandals and controversies around Musk, there are so many that I’m not sure either.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I presume one of the many scandals and controversies around Musk, there are so many that Iím not sure either.
    There are many? I can only think of a few:

- Statements about Tesla that resulted in an SEC fine.
    - A rather nasty insult/claim on Twitter.
    - Not taking COVID-19 very seriously.
    - Shown in a video smoking marijuana (which I donít consider a big deal, personally, but was foolish given SpaceX contracts with DoD)
    - Over promoting the Tesla autopilot.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

There are many? I can only think of a few:

- Statements about Tesla that resulted in an SEC fine.
    - A rather nasty insult/claim on Twitter.
    - Not taking COVID-19 very seriously.
    - Shown in a video smoking marijuana (which I don’t consider a big deal, personally, but was foolish given SpaceX contracts with DoD)
    - Over promoting the Tesla autopilot.
    I think the latest one was allegedly lobbying to get Californian high-speed rail projects cancelled to remove competition for the Hyperloop.

Putting a Tesla Roadster into solar orbit would seem to qualify as "dumping your garbage in some other environment", but's kind of old news.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Putting a Tesla Roadster into solar orbit would seem to qualify as "dumping your garbage in some other environment", but's kind of old news.
    That strikes me as an extreme stretch. They needed a test mass for the rocket, so there was a serious purpose for it, and they were going to send something, so it doesnít seem to me to be equivalent to dumping garbage. It certainly wasnít done as a joke. And frankly, I thought it was a brilliant choice. Instead of sending some dull test mass that nobody would see or care about, it advertised his car company as well as showing what SpaceX could do, including showing off their own spacesuit. I was excited seeing it.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I think the latest one was allegedly lobbying to get Californian high-speed rail projects cancelled to remove competition for the Hyperloop.
    Do you have a reference for that? I couldn’t find anything about him lobbying against California high-speed rail. Mind you, I don’t take hyperloop seriously, and I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if he did something like that, but I haven’t heard about it and can’t find it.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That strikes me as an extreme stretch. They needed a test mass for the rocket, so there was a serious purpose for it, and they were going to send something, so it doesn’t seem to me to be equivalent to dumping garbage. It certainly wasn’t done as a joke. And frankly, I thought it was a brilliant choice. Instead of sending some dull test mass that nobody would see or care about, it advertised his car company as well as showing what SpaceX could do, including showing off their own spacesuit. I was excited seeing it.
    It was a deeply divisive choice. While understand the arguments for doing it, I confess to being a long, long way from excited about it, in part because "dumping garbage in space" was a fairly common and entirely pedictable perception at the time. Sending up something with no function other than advertising a car company and boosting the owner's ego was seen, in many quarters, as worse than sending up something with no function at all.
    https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news...rbage-in-space
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lon-musk-tesla
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/20180...dcc13be3c.html

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

It was a deeply divisive choice. While understand the arguments for doing it, I confess to being a long, long way from excited about it, in part because "dumping garbage in space" was a fairly common and entirely pedictable perception at the time. Sending up something with no function other than advertising a car company and boosting the owner's ego was seen, in many quarters, as worse than sending up something with no function at all.
    But it DID have a purpose aside from advertising and promotion. It was a test mass.

Yeesh, seriously? What Iím getting out of that are people who donít understand the realities of space or why they did the mission at all. There was a valid purpose, but why not advertise too? And one car in a solar orbit isnít going to make any realistic difference in the amount of stuff in space. I expect these folks arenít aware of the various stages and probes in solar orbit that keep orbiting long after they no longer function, or the millions of asteroids that have long been there. If we devoted the gross world product to sending mass into space we couldnít begin to approach the stuff already there.

It kind of reminds me of ignorant negative comments I heard as far back as Apollo. I guess it bothers me especially because that mission made me so happy. I wasnít sure if SpaceX could keep moving on from just the Falcon 9, but watching the two boosters landing together was like watching science fiction become reality. And seeing starman in the car felt the same (it is actually reminiscent of a scene in the movie Heavy Metal and I expect Musk knew that). This wasnít a dull government program doing space, this was how a private company handled it. They were moving faster and thinking about it differently.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Who put another "n" in "condemning"?!
    Damn, that's a good question!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    But it DID…It was a test mass.
    ….
    It kind of reminds me of ignorant negative comments….
    As a promotion it was very effective, as an illustration of private enterprise versus government spending, it was instructive, as a test mass it was tongue in cheek, as science it does not live up to voyager, but not all negative comments are ignorant just because they are not from enthousiasts.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

But it DID have a purpose aside from advertising and promotion. It was a test mass.
    I know. So did many of the people who thought a "no function" test mass would have been a better choice than a Tesla test mass. I could have been clearer in what I wrote--I should have written "no fuction other than as a test mass". Many people would have responded better if he'd lobbed an equivalent mass of cast iron into the same orbit; even better would have been something functional--he just had to tweet "Who wants to put some instrumentation on this launch?" (Well, not "just", but you get my meaning I hope.)

Yeesh, seriously?
    Seriously. I understand that Musk doesn't care about public perception, and that many space enthusiasts view this as just a response of the ignorant masses, but it was actually a serious hit, in some quarters, for public perception of private space endeavours. When I saw the news coverage at the time my response was, "Oh dear me, nono no nono. Don't do that."

Anyway, grapes will maybe come back and explain. I doubt he was referring to the much-vexed Tesla.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Damn, that's a good question!
    I see what you did there.
    The answer, as is often the case, is that the "n" was always there. Someone forgot to remove it when the pronunciation changed.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    As a promotion it was very effective, as an illustration of private enterprise versus government spending, it was instructive, as a test mass it was tongue in cheek, as science it does not live up to voyager, but not all negative comments are ignorant just because they are not from enthousiasts.
    I should qualify, I wrote that after reacting to these two headlines, and some of the statements in the associated articles linked in Grantís post:

A Tesla in space? Isn't there enough junk up there already?

Weíve trashed the oceans; now we are turning space into a junkyard for billionaires

Based on the headlines and the articles my impression is that the authors didnít bother to research the subject they were writing about. Iím not claiming they are generally ignorant, just that what they said indicated they knew little about the subject of the articles. And I do feel news or news editorial writers should be expected to research subjects they write about.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Last comments on this for now:

Many people would have responded better if he'd lobbed an equivalent mass of cast iron into the same orbit;
    Presumably because they wouldnít have been aware of it in the first place, since it would have made for dull news and gotten little mention.

[Ö]even better would have been something functional--he just had to tweet "Who wants to put some instrumentation on this launch?" (Well, not "just", but you get my meaning I hope.)
    I do recall a (to me, much more serious) discussion about possibly launching a probe or satellite on it instead of just a test mass. My understanding is that they did look into it, but there was a very substantial possibility that this first test would fail, so nobody was interested in putting an expensive spacecraft on it, even for a free launch. Also, SpaceX had things they wanted to test, so for example, they werenít willing to launch to LEO only, leaving out low cost amateur satellites as a possible payload.

Seriously. I understand that Musk doesn't care about public perception, and that many space enthusiasts view this as just a response of the ignorant masses, but it was actually a serious hit, in some quarters, for public perception of private space endeavours.
    I would wonder if it even occurred to him. It certainly didnít to me. I didnít see those articles and didnít talk with people upset about a Tesla instead of a slightly different test mass in a distant orbit. Iím still not convinced that many people thought about it that way.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I would wonder if it even occurred to him. It certainly didnít to me. I didnít see those articles and didnít talk with people upset about a Tesla instead of a slightly different test mass in a distant orbit. Iím still not convinced that many people thought about it that way.
    I suspect it never occurred to him. But it sure occurred to a lot of people I know. In fact, I think you may be the first person I've spoken to who thinks of it as anything other than a dumb self-promotional stunt, and the space buffs were the most vociferous. "What were they thinking?" is perhaps the most printable summary.

<Shrug.> Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I mean, I think just people being annoyed by the advertising aspect of it is understandable on its own, there are very few things that provoke annoyance quicker than an unexpected ad shoved in your face.

I mean, I think just people being annoyed by the advertising aspect of it is understandable on its own, there are very few things that provoke annoyance quicker than an unexpected ad shoved in your face.
    There's that, for sure. But there was also a sense of disappointment among my space-buff friends that the whole "Tesla in space" thing engendered hostility among the underinformed (as seen in my links) and also sent the (unintentional) message that this was not a serious endeavour, and that it would go nowhere beyond the occasional stunt.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Anyway, grapes will maybe come back and explain. I doubt he was referring to the much-vexed Tesla.
    You're right of course. It was a reaction to Bezos's sacrafice zone comments, at the time, and Musk's cavalier (or not) approach to starlink deployments.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/21/2...mental-justice
    https://news.sky.com/story/spacex-to...omers-11984439

Fake eyelashes. You know, the ones that look as if the young lady has caterpillars crawling on her eyelids. No real eyelashes ever looked like that. And usually they don't cover the whole length.

Fake eyelashes. You know, the ones that look as if the young lady has caterpillars crawling on her eyelids. No real eyelashes ever looked like that. And usually they don't cover the whole length.
    Extremely common in this part of the world.

The worst lashes pale in comparison to some toupees I've seen. Even though my forehead is expanding a little slower than the Universe (still have my crown, though) I've always promised myself that I'd never 'swoop it, goop it, or toop it'.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    The worst lashes pale in comparison to some toupees I've seen. Even though my forehead is expanding a little slower than the Universe (still have my crown, though) I've always promised myself that I'd never 'swoop it, goop it, or toop it'.
    Iím in kind of the same situation, and completely agree. In this part of the world, Iíve seen me who covered up their baldness with inkÖ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I’m in kind of the same situation, and completely agree. In this part of the world, I’ve seen me who covered up their baldness with ink…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that really what you meant to say?

I was watching a quiz show a few days ago, and noticed a weird dark patch on a contestants face.

Realised her (fake) eyelashes were big enough to cause a shadow from the overhead lights.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Well, the current fashion in some circles is to make your entire head look like it's made out of plastic--uniformly matt fake-tan face, smoothly coiffed hair, black rectangular eyebrows, perfectly aligned, perfectly white teeth. For women, jutting black eyelashes; for men, freakishly precise beard-lines. The Jude Law character in AI looks slovenly by comparison.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Seriously, there are occasional cases where the artificiality is so extreme that if I liked conspiracy theories, I’d suspect they were humanoid robots. I still sometimes get that weird feeling that just maybe I had wandered into a science fiction story.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Seriously, there are occasional cases where the artificiality is so extreme that if I liked conspiracy theories, I’d suspect they were humanoid robots.
    Well, you do have some evidence for - what evidence do you have against?

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
    Well, you do have some evidence for - what evidence do you have against?
    Hah. Well, taking the question seriously, Iím a programmer and have had an interest in robotics for decades. Weíre finally to the point where robots can walk fairly well, but software isnít anywhere near the kind of sophisticated AI needed to do basic and common human tasks, nor could a robot be built that could fool a knowledgeable person for any time at all (occasionally unknowledgeable people are fooled by toys, however).

The Leif Ericson Cruiser