Page 136 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4137

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Or Sloop John B.

Many years ago I was taking a flight and the in-flight movie was a "based on a true story" about a sailing ship that was a training boat for some boys' school and was involved in a shipwreck. I thought that was like showing one of the Airport disaster movies (or "Snakes on a Plane") on a cruise.
    White Squall, presumably. I think I also saw it on an airplane.

We once watched a documentary about the Titanic while on a cruise. It was a river cruise, however.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There's a cruise line using Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit as an advertising jingle. If there's a more iconic drug anthem from the 1960's, I can't think of what it is. Are they suggesting you can get LSD on board or something?
    Advertising, or as I like to think of it, getting paid for making experimental art films.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

White Squall, presumably. I think I also saw it on an airplane.

We once watched a documentary about the Titanic while on a cruise. It was a river cruise, however.
    It is also a song by Stan Rogers again.
    https://youtu.be/uQ4ddAgykfk
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    They could of used Barrett's Privateers,
    I feel like promising naval warfare on a cruise could be as disappointing as promising LSD.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Advertising, or as I like to think of it, getting paid for making experimental art films.
    There's a really funny segment of one of my favourite TV shows where they're watching a crime reenactment film and the main character explains that Canada has turned out so many film school graduates that they end up in all sorts of jobs that you wouldn't expect.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Maybe someday we can remove the products and logos all together and just show short experimental art films during breaks in TV shows!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Maybe someday we can remove the products and logos all together and just show short experimental art films during breaks in TV shows!
    Some ads I see verge on that now. I find myself wondering: what the actual heck was that a commercial for? It sure doesn't make me want to purchase a product or service.

Some ads I see verge on that now. I find myself wondering: what the actual heck was that a commercial for? It sure doesn't make me want to purchase a product or service.
    See, if there were no products or logos, we wouldn’t have to wonder, we could just relax and enjoy them as art!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    See, if there were no products or logos, we wouldn’t have to wonder, we could just relax and enjoy them as art!
    Or they could move the logos to the end. Remember the Nissan commercial with G.I. Joe and Barbie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMG7ifuTjQ
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Years ago, there were car commercials for I believe Infiniti, before the car debuted, that no one was quite sure what they were for.

This morning, I was up early, before the kids were, and drove to the store to get milk. One of the stations I normally listen to had the morning DJ ranting, at length, about how apparently the NHL team we're apparently going to get will be the Seattle Kraken, not the Seattle Sockeye, and what's up with that, blah blah blah. If this woman cared about hockey before, I didn't know about it. And apparently, there's a series of . . . adult novels that has a team called the Seattle Sockeye in it?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Ah yes, the Infiniti rocks and trees campaign! And when the car actually appeared it looked like an uglier Ford Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Years ago, there were car commercials for I believe Infiniti, before the car debuted, that no one was quite sure what they were for.
    I remember those. I also remember the cartoon panel that they inspired. It showed a law officer standing on a road talking on his radio.

"I'm at the location of that reported collision between an Infiniti and a stealth fighter but I don't see anything."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Nice job of lampooning those commercials. I have seen many in which I could not tell what was being advertised if I did not see a fleeting glimpse of a logo at the end. Most of the time, when there is a gaggle of 15-second spots, I don't remember what is in most of them when the program resumes, and I am skeptical about the idea of subliminal memories if I see the product in a store or on a website.

A few years ago I saw an online replay of most of the TV coverage of the 1962 NFL championship game. There were two sponsors, Marlboro cigarettes and an insurance company or something like that. By halftime there was no doubt about who the sponsors were.

Perhaps they should have tried some of those Infiniti commercials in Australia. The brand was a huge flop with the relatively few vehicles sold suffering horrendous depreciation. They have now given up and stopped importing them.

I legitimately do not understand people who think violating another rule will get around having gotten in trouble for violating a first one.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I legitimately do not understand people who think violating another rule will get around having gotten in trouble for violating a first one.
    “You stole your father’s armor, ran away from home, impersonated a soldier, deceived your commanding officer, dishonored the Chinese Army, destroyed my palace, and… you have saved us all.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Nice job of lampooning those commercials. I have seen many in which I could not tell what was being advertised if I did not see a fleeting glimpse of a logo at the end. Most of the time, when there is a gaggle of 15-second spots, I don't remember what is in most of them when the program resumes, and I am skeptical about the idea of subliminal memories if I see the product in a store or on a website.

A few years ago I saw an online replay of most of the TV coverage of the 1962 NFL championship game. There were two sponsors, Marlboro cigarettes and an insurance company or something like that. By halftime there was no doubt about who the sponsors were.
    My bold. I just saw a humdinger during the Super Bowl. It was the one where a lot of mud or whatever it was hit the fan and got splattered far and wide. I saw a glimpse of initials or an acronym at the end, but I don't have the foggiest idea who was advertising what. These people are paying princely sums of money for these spots, so you would think they would be smarter about it.

Lines like that push the fantasy. That's why people try to get away with stuff. "Easier to get forgiven"... unless you don't.

My bold. I just saw a humdinger during the Super Bowl. It was the one where a lot of mud or whatever it was hit the fan and got splattered far and wide. I saw a glimpse of initials or an acronym at the end, but I don't have the foggiest idea who was advertising what. These people are paying princely sums of money for these spots, so you would think they would be smarter about it.
    P&G, Proctor and Gamble. That was a combined commercial for many of their cleaning supply brands - Bounty, Head & Shoulders, Mr. Clean, Febreeze, Charmin, and I'm sure I'm missing some...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    P&G, Proctor and Gamble. That was a combined commercial for many of their cleaning supply brands - Bounty, Head & Shoulders, Mr. Clean, Febreeze, Charmin, and I'm sure I'm missing some...
    Something just struck me funny about that.

Why would someone want to buy fake bullet hole stickers and apply them to their car?

Why would someone want to buy fake bullet hole stickers and apply them to their car?
    To make them look tougher.
    If I need bullet holes in a car I will just call the BIL but I doubt he would do such a thing.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2020-Feb-20 at 06:28 PM.

My niece is playing a plyoff game for her league. The time they are playing have AAA rating and our time is AA. The other time has not won a game against our team and they try the diritiest tricks like trying to get out team to start fights or taking dives to make a hit worse than it was. Is this a good life lesson to teach the girls on that team?

Street cred.

The triumph of style over substance, when you don't want anyone to shoot at you or your car but you want it to be known that it's possible in some alternate world that someone might have shot at your car but you survived, and that deserves respect.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Alternate world?
    I drive through Baltimore regularly.
    Sadly, there’s nothing alternate about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I had a colleague who slept in his cast-iron bath for a year when he worked in Lusaka, because every now and then a bullet would pass through the walls of his wooden house, usually at night.

Grant Hutchison

It is up there with a tattoo of barb wire. Yes tattoos are painful, but it something I don't get. I pay someone to inflict pain on myself just to show how tough I am because there is no other way I am tough. (If you doing because you like a design that is probably something completely different. )

This kind of reminds me of a situation that I don't get what the person was thinking. I was in a room which was suupose to have been a quiet study room it even said so on the door. I was a at an UNIX terminal becasue the project I was working needed a program that only ran on UNIX, there was another guy working there two on one of the PCs. Then two other students walk and start talking. Then one goes."WHAT DAVE NEEDS TO DO IS SOME WORK." I take a quick look back like now thats rude and try to get back to work when she goes,"I KNOW THINK ARE TOUGH BUT I CAN PROBABLY TAKE YOU." Ok back to work. I don't know where they learn to read or proper manners but they need to go back to school.

Last night’s news showed people purchasing supplies in case they are forced to self-quarantine. Many people were loading up on bottled water.

I don’t think water shortages have been an issue anywhere there has been an outbreak of COVID-19.

The program then presented an “expert” who said that people should stock up on essential items, and listed bottled water as the first item.

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa