Page 135 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 4166

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    At the moment, I'm not getting the first five minutes of Lawrence of Arabia. A blank screen and a musical overture for four and a half minutes before the titles come up. It was a thing, back in the day, but was it ever not weirdly annoying? (I wonder how many people have returned their DVD as faulty after watching three minutes of black screen.)
    On the other hand, I did like it when long films (like LoA) had an intermission in the middle. Nowadays going to the cinema is like some sort of endurance test.

Grant Hutchison
    Have not seen that since I was a teenager, when I saw it several times in a row, so from memory, Omar Sharif eventually arrives from being a dot on the horizon: Although then maybe that happens later in the film.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    We never got along before hand either.
    Let me explain a few things on this. Every since her family moved in there was tension including the time their dog killed a couple of chickens and their dog was shot. It was not a courtship thing, at the time some people thought they could jump start puberty in me or shame me into losing weight. That is all she was doing. I have a cousin who thought bugging me everyday about my weight would make try to lose weight. Silly things children think. Plus since she was on my family property I had the right to get rid of her, I was just trying to scare her. At the time my grandfather and the neighbor who owned the piece of property never could settled on where the property line was until the neighbor cut some wood on our land and eventually got surveyed and settled. It was not her family but she was friends with members of his family and was allowed to go thru until about then then there was a couple of fires and some broken glass across one of our paths.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

At the moment, I'm not getting the first five minutes of Lawrence of Arabia. A blank screen and a musical overture for four and a half minutes before the titles come up. It was a thing, back in the day, but was it ever not weirdly annoying? (I wonder how many people have returned their DVD as faulty after watching three minutes of black screen.)
    On the other hand, I did like it when long films (like LoA) had an intermission in the middle. Nowadays going to the cinema is like some sort of endurance test.
    I find it interesting that movies with overtures also, in general, come from an era before the concept of "show times," so you can't even say, "Oh, people were still getting to their seats."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Grant Hutchison
    We haven't been to the cinema in years, but I'd need an admission about every fifteen minutes because that's how often my prostate thinks I need to pee.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Are you sure it's not the quality of the movies causing that?

We've been seeing a lot of TV ads for "The Mirror", an interactive video screen you hang on the wall so someone can yell at you by name as you do your workout. I knew it reminded me of something but I didn't figure out what until last night. It's the telescreen from Nineteen Eighty-Four. Why the heck would I want that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We've been seeing a lot of TV ads for "The Mirror", an interactive video screen you hang on the wall so someone can yell at you by name as you do your workout. I knew it reminded me of something but I didn't figure out what until last night. It's the telescreen from Nineteen Eighty-Four. Why the heck would I want that?
    Big Brother will PUMP YOU UP!!!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Or Peleton will shame you into it.

(Ad itself)

Can it yell at me to go to sleep? I need a Mom to keep me disciplined in that regard when I’m away at college.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Stuff you just don't get.

When we first saw that ad, Halfway through, I shouted out “It’s a mirror!”
    Then, the announcer said it’s name.

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised -in the age of selfies- that people want to look at themselves while exercising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

After seeing the ice on the north pole of Mars. I'm wondering why the ice doesn't sublimate to nothing over time since there shouldn't be much of a regeneration from the atmosphere. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    After seeing the ice on the north pole of Mars. I'm wondering why the ice doesn't sublimate to nothing over time since there shouldn't be much of a regeneration from the atmosphere. Any help?
    I assume it has to do with the vapor pressure of water ice at that temperature.

Surface temperature of Mars at the poles is about -150C (wikipedia).

I found this PDF with vapor pressure as a function of temperature down to -80C. At -80C, the vapor pressure is 0.00041 mm Hg, compared to 4.58 mm Hg at 0C. It has to be a lot less than 0.00041 at -150C. So probably get very little sublimation.

IIRC, carbon dioxide ice forms over the water ice in the winter time. I suspect that covering also helps decrease sublimation.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I assume it has to do with the vapor pressure of water ice at that temperature.

Surface temperature of Mars at the poles is about -150C (wikipedia).

I found this PDF with vapor pressure as a function of temperature down to -80C. At -80C, the vapor pressure is 0.00041 mm Hg, compared to 4.58 mm Hg at 0C. It has to be a lot less than 0.00041 at -150C. So probably get very little sublimation.

IIRC, carbon dioxide ice forms over the water ice in the winter time. I suspect that covering also helps decrease sublimation.
    I agree with the values, but we are talking about millions/billions(?) of years at those sublimating pressures/temperatures.

I agree with the values, but we are talking about millions/billions(?) of years at those sublimating pressures/temperatures.
    If the ice sublimates it will become water vapor in the Martian atmosphere. As long as it doesn't exit into space, it could just redeposit on the ice caps. I assume there is just an equilibrium between the ice at the poles and the atmospheric water vapor.

In addition to the link above on the atmosphere, there are also wikipedia page on the ice caps and on water on Mars. I suspect the details of the relationship are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    If the ice sublimates it will become water vapor in the Martian atmosphere. As long as it doesn't exit into space, it could just redeposit on the ice caps. I assume there is just an equilibrium between the ice at the poles and the atmospheric water vapor.

In addition to the link above on the atmosphere, there are also wikipedia page on the ice caps and on water on Mars. I suspect the details of the relationship are in there.
    Yes I have read both pages and agree with water vapor becomes part of the thin atmosphere. It is estimated that the planet had a lot of water in the past but the low gravity was not able to sustain the water cycle and the liquid water escaped leaving frozen patches today. But the gravity hasn't changed nor the Sun blasting away at the atmosphere.
    Now I not saying there exists a mass conspiracy concerning water/ice/vapor on the planet, I just don't understand how the forces that eliminated lots of water, hasn't eliminated the remainder in all those years. It is a puzzlement to me.
    ETA: Not so much Enceladus as there is constant renewal/depositing of surface ice, just Mars.

ETA2: The ice is there, just how does it remain?

Yes I have read both pages and agree with water vapor becomes part of the thin atmosphere. It is estimated that the planet had a lot of water in the past but the low gravity was not able to sustain the water cycle and the liquid water escaped leaving frozen patches today. But the gravity hasn't changed nor the Sun blasting away at the atmosphere.
    Now I not saying there exists a mass conspiracy concerning water/ice/vapor on the planet, I just don't understand how the forces that eliminated lots of water, hasn't eliminated the remainder in all those years. It is a puzzlement to me.
    ETA: Not so much Enceladus as there is constant renewal/depositing of surface ice, just Mars.

ETA2: The ice is there, just how does it remain?
    There must be a bare minimum. Mars' atmosphere has just enough carrying capacity to keep the last smidgen of H2O cycling intact. Maybe in another few hundred million years it'll finally dry up entirely.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2020-Jan-16 at 09:09 PM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I guess that there is sufficient gravity to maintain an equilibrium, low as it is

It's been escaping steadily over geological time. It depends on how much water gets to the exosphere, which is where escape takes place, and then on the temperature of the exosphere, which determines the mean molecular velocity. On Earth, the stratosphere is a sort of barrier to water vapour, because it all precipitates out in the troposphere, and layers above that are very dry. So although the exosphere temperature on Mars is certainly high enough for water to escape (and even more so its dissociation constituents), it all depends on how much water vapour can get into the exosphere without precipitating out.
    Coincidentally, we've just had a report on the relevance of dust storms to water escape on Mars.

Grant Hutchison

My wife spent about 16 hours yesterday watching live coverage of a current event we don't talk about here. Even the participants were falling asleep. I spent that time hiding out at the opposite end of the house with headphones on so I couldn't even hear it. Different strokes, I guess.

My wife spent about 16 hours yesterday watching live coverage of a current event we don't talk about here. Even the participants were falling asleep. I spent that time hiding out at the opposite end of the house with headphones on so I couldn't even hear it. Different strokes, I guess.
    I’ve been there before, and not even always with the news— my Dad doesn’t believe in wearing headphones and watches movies on the desktop computer in the living room so loud everyone in the house can hear.

I remember when my older sister watched Iran-Contra all summer. Of course, at the time, that was your choice--it was on all the networks, and this was before most people had cable. I was definitely glad cable was around during the OJ Simpson trial, which may have been more dramatic but was considerably less important!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

There's a cruise line using Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit as an advertising jingle. If there's a more iconic drug anthem from the 1960's, I can't think of what it is. Are they suggesting you can get LSD on board or something?

There's a cruise line using Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit as an advertising jingle. If there's a more iconic drug anthem from the 1960's, I can't think of what it is. Are they suggesting you can get LSD on board or something?
    I guess they are trying to equate taking a cruise with feeding your head.

But...yeah. A strange choice, even if cruise lines are trying to attract boomers.

That’s weird.

Ask Alice.

I would put a Steppin’ Wolf song up there with it, if in the 60s. Cocaine if in the 70s, though there were many drug songs to consider, including some from the Beatles.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

There's a cruise line using Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit as an advertising jingle.
    "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" would be better as it has a nautical theme.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

The Onion: Song About Heroin Used To Advertise Bank.

From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I had the same reaction; that's it is a very weird musical choice for a cruise. The video that goes with it matches the song pretty well (the woman shrinks down to a tiny size and runs around a hallucinogenic landscape) but again, not what I would think about for a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" would be better as it has a nautical theme.

Or Sloop John B.

Many years ago I was taking a flight and the in-flight movie was a "based on a true story" about a sailing ship that was a training boat for some boys' school and was involved in a shipwreck. I thought that was like showing one of the Airport disaster movies (or "Snakes on a Plane") on a cruise.

For many years airlines would not show in-flight movies that contained airplane crash scenes or had a plot about a crash. I was watching a film way back when (one I had seen before) and noted that the plot made a lot more sense with the crash scene intact. Now, with all of the video available, the airlines don't bother.