Page 145 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 4606

Thread: Stuff you just don't get.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Ha! "No, I have no regrets"... over a montage of scenes in which people clearly have regrets. (You never call your insurance agency because everything's fine.)
    “I aint got nobody, nobody cares for me “ and lesser known in US I guess, “yes, we have no bananas” but I am sure “ I can’t get no, no, no,no, no satisfaction” is known. it is emphasis without the alternative expletives.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Live Christmas tree sales are up dramatically this year.
    This is the opposite of my reaction to the pandemic. We usually buy a live tree, but dug an old artificial tree from the attic so I could avoid shopping for a tree.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    This is the opposite of my reaction to the pandemic. We usually buy a live tree, but dug an old artificial tree from the attic so I could avoid shopping for a tree.
    People are taking refuge in tradition this "joyous" season. Just as we seek comfort food, we seek comfort trees.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Our favorite tree farm ran out of trees before we got one (they are an outdoor operation, and with masks and social distancing, I wasn't concerned about safety). That's fine, but it does demonstrate your point.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

For some value of the word "live".

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Our favorite tree farm ran out of trees before we got one (they are an outdoor operation, and with masks and social distancing, I wasn't concerned about safety). That's fine, but it does demonstrate your point.
    When we went to Safeway a couple of days ago, none of the trees they had left were over three feet tall. Some half that.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    Even the cut ones aren't totally dead. Yet.
    Ideally you plant the live ones in the yard after the holidays. But we've been using the same fake one for around 30 years now. We're thinking of leaving it up and redecorating for Valentines Day. It helps raise our spirits.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Graham's actually thinking about going out today to see if anyone has a clearance fake tree, which he'll put up in his workshop. I haven't had the inclination of energy to consider getting a tree this year, but we have fundamental differences about Christmas trees, so in future years the plan will be fake tree for him and real tree for me. Because compromise?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Graham's actually thinking about going out today to see if anyone has a clearance fake tree, which he'll put up in his workshop. I haven't had the inclination of energy to consider getting a tree this year, but we have fundamental differences about Christmas trees, so in future years the plan will be fake tree for him and real tree for me. Because compromise?
    Compromise is meeting in the middle. You're meeting at both ends!

This one... [sigh]... Space Force soldier demoted after skipping training in order to get a PS5.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/12/17/spa...r-demoted-ps5/
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    This one... [sigh]... Space Force soldier demoted after skipping training in order to get a PS5.

Hah! The priorities of some very young guy. I’m impressed he admitted why he was late. He probably couldn’t think of a better excuse when put on the spot.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

At first glance I thought PS5 was some military terminology. Realizing it's the game system makes it even more disappointing.

That sounds like quite the... space farce.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

"Soldier"? Not "Spaceman"?

The traditional pulp sci-fi terminology for an enlisted space person is Spacer.

At least he wasn't a ...Cadet.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post

At least he wasn't a ...Cadet.
    Go ahead. Just say it.

Space cadet.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Go ahead. Just say it.

Space cadet.
    Yes, that was the joke.

Go ahead. Just say it.

Space cadet.
    Already done, in the "Space Force" television series.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Up in the air, junior Space Man.
    Up in the air, wings on high!
    Up in the air, junior Space Man.
    You can almost touch the sky!

(Where did I hear that?)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Apparently it seems to be a updated version of "Up in the Air, Junior Birdman" which was a theme song for [I]"[I]The Junior Birdmen of America was a national organization for boys and girls interested in aviation and model plane building, founded (ca. 1934) and promoted by the Hearst newspaper chain, with the cooperation of the U.S. Bureau of Air Commerce.[1" [/I[/I]]It was defunct by 1939 so you have either got a very good memory for a childhood long, long ago or have previously heard one of the various reworked versions which were apparently popular in the US - including at summer camps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizuHg_c7Ng

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Birdmen[I][I]]

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Apparently it seems to be a updated version of "Up in the Air, Junior Birdman" which was a theme song for [I]"[I]The Junior Birdmen of America was a national organization for boys and girls interested in aviation and model plane building, founded (ca. 1934) and promoted by the Hearst newspaper chain, with the cooperation of the U.S. Bureau of Air Commerce.[1" [/I[/I]]It was defunct by 1939 so you have either got a very good memory for a childhood long, long ago or have previously heard one of the various reworked versions which were apparently popular in the US - including at summer camps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizuHg_c7Ng

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Birdmen[I][I]]
    I recognized it as “Junior Birdman”. My father, used to sing the song. I always thought it was just a parody of the Air Force March. He was born in the early 1930s, and served in the Air Force, so his knowing the song fits with Ozduck’s findings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9z8s-hD5w
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2020-Dec-19 at 03:33 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Grant Hutchison
    Well, some people do buy potted Christmas trees and plant them after.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Well, some people do buy potted Christmas trees and plant them after.
    They tend not to thrive, because of the way people are now decorating their trees at the start of December (or even earlier)--keeping them warm indoors for weeks on end isn't good for them.

Grant Hutchison

They tend not to thrive, because of the way people are now decorating their trees at the start of December (or even earlier)--keeping them warm indoors for weeks on end isn't good for them.

Grant Hutchison
    For a few years there, Mrs. M would buy a small tree, set it up indoors and let the kid decorate it, after which it was planted in the yard. However, she (a botanist) took care to select some species suitable for the local conditions (even if it didn't fit the classic Christmas Tree model), and these trees did very well once relocated. The oldest tree towered above the house by the time we moved.

A couple down the road from us always have a "live" decorated tree in their window from the last week of November to the first week of January, and a dying tree in their garden for the first half of the new year. Repeat. I think we've been round that cycle five or six times, now. It certainly falls into the "stuff I don't get" category.

Grant Hutchison

Apparently they are to be called Guardians.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Is that because they’re just there to take up space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Is that because they’re just there to take up space?
    Sailor, Spacer... Walker, Flyer, Coast Guarder?

Guest towels. Purchased because they look nice, hung carefully in the guest bathroom, and nobody uses them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

In preparation for a dinner party, a friend of mine cleaned the guest bathroom, but didn't want her husband or three teenage boys to make a mess of the place before the guests arrived. So she wrote a note and placed it on the guest towels:

"If you touch these, I will kill you."

It wasn't until after the dinner party was over that my friend noticed that she had forgotten to remove the note before the party started.

(Old joke.)