Page 198 of 202 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,940 of 6043

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Ah, that’s good to hear. I’m amused to notice that you appear to be posting just a couple minutes in my future, which probably means you posted 20 minutes or so in my past.
    Let's do the time warp again!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    My sister got a car yesterday to replace the one from the accident.

Although it now looks like the old* wreck will not be totaled by the insurance company ...
    Some years back I was rear-ended. The damage to the car was reparable but the cost to repair exceeded the value of the car, so the insurance company declared it "totaled." They paid me that amount and I made up the difference to get the car fixed.

I liked that car.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

When our car was "totaled" a few years ago, Graham's reaction was, "I never did like that car." I'm glad we replaced it with a minivan before our move; a station wagon wouldn't have been as convenient.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    When our car was "totaled" a few years ago, Graham's reaction was, "I never did like that car." I'm glad we replaced it with a minivan before our move; a station wagon wouldn't have been as convenient.
    My sister had gotten that car specifically to tow the camper (that caused the wreck); the car's a tank, which is probably why we didn't tumble with the camper. So now that there's no camper, there's no need to keep the thing.

Yesterday, I went over to my best friend's house and hung out with her while she sorted and packed. I am not remotely happy that she's moving, though I am glad she'll be out of that house, but we spent three hours together, without my kids. Or masks. When I arrived and left, we hugged each other, because we can do that now. Also, she found something of mine that I'd asked her to locate, so that was nice.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday I gave away my old and rusty trailer to a friend. I was on the front lawn plumping up the flat tyres with a hand operated floor air pump - slow but it would eventually do the job. A guy in a ute stopped and asked if I wanted to use his 9V Air Compressor. It did the job in under a minute for each tyre. As a thank you I gave him some fresh Navel Oranges off my tree. It was nice to have someone do a small, but welcome, good deed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Yesterday I gave away my old and rusty trailer to a friend. I was on the front lawn plumping up the flat tyres with a hand operated floor air pump - slow but it would eventually do the job. A guy in a ute stopped and asked if I wanted to use his 9V Air Compressor. It did the job in under a minute for each tyre. As a thank you I gave him some fresh Navel Oranges off my tree. It was nice to have someone do a small, but welcome, good deed like that.
    To quote Fred Gwynne, "What is a ute?"

A ute is a bakkie.

And I wonder if that compressor wasn't 12V rather than 9V, given its automotive residence.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    A ute is a bakkie.

And I wonder if that compressor wasn't 12V rather than 9V, given its automotive residence.
    Yes it is a bakkie or perhaps a light truck depending on your country of origin/residence. And another yes, I had a brain fade it was a 12V type that plugs into the power outlet socket.

A ute is a bakkie.
    Well that certainly clears things right up...???

OK, googled Bakkie: Apparently it's just a plain old pickup truck.

Yes, and I was just teasing you.

And to turn this into a post with high educational value: "bakkie" is South African for pickup-truck. The word originates from the Dutch word "bak" with means "open box/open container"(though versions with a lid on them can in some contexts also be called "bak"). So a "bakkie" is a car with an open box for a trunk. In other words, a pickup-truck.

Well that certainly clears things right up...???

OK, googled Bakkie: Apparently it's just a plain old pickup truck.
    As is a ute, these days (though not originally). Short for coupé utility.

Grant Hutchison

And to turn this into a post with high educational value:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_More_You_Know_0-0_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	26258

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    As is a ute, these days (though not originally). Short for coupé utility.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes it was originally named for an Australian assembled 1934 Ford A Model Coupe that had a 'normal' passenger cabin but with a tray body at the rear. Made in response to the "wife of a farmer in Australia asking for "a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays"". It was traditional for sedans manufactured in Australia to have an ute version. This only stopped in the last few years with the decision of Ford and GM to cease vehicle manufacturing here.

They were normally pretty utilitarian vehicles but many were somewhat different. The last versions made were a Holden SS V Redline with a 304 KW (408HP) V8 engine. Really more of a 2 seater sports car. The 'last' one manufactured in 2017 was sold recently for A$7560,000 (US$562,000). While a more 'exclusive' version with a Supercharged 474kW (634HP) V8 engine was sold at the same time for just over A$1,000,000

https://www.9news.com.au/national/la...c-358ea3d64354

https://www.caradvice.com.au/920012/...lian-made-car/
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jun-21 at 03:53 AM.

Ute for utility and bakkie for box. Seems simple enough.

I'm calling my sedan a 'dan from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Yes it was originally named for an Australian assembled 1934 Ford A Model Coupe that had a 'normal' passenger cabin but with a tray body at the rear. Made in response to the "wife of a farmer in Australia asking for "a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays"". It was traditional for sedans manufactured in Australia to have an ute version. This only stopped in the last few years with the decision of Ford and GM to cease vehicle manufacturing here.
    I always thought of Travis McGee's infamous "Rolls Royce pickup", Miss Agnes, as a ute. Though that was an after-market conversion.

Grant Hutchison

Ute for utility and bakkie for box. Seems simple enough.

I'm calling my sedan a 'dan from now on.
    We call our minivan a van already. Though Zane named it "Vannie" when we bought it three years ago or so. I've probably told this story before, but at the time, we had "Squirrely," "Lamby," and so forth among his stuffed animals. Which is why I made the decision that he wouldn't get to name the house. Sure enough, a little over a year ago, I was standing on the front porch trying to think of a name, and he suggested Housey, to go with the van.

"You can't erase icing."

The Wife's car is a very snazzy "candy apple" red, so she settled on Ruby as a nickname. Her previous car, a VW Tiguan, was called Tiggy. My truck is Dumbo, because it has oversized and extended towing mirrors.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We're Doctor Who fans, so my wife's dark blue SUV is The Tardis. My smaller one is Daleks. We have the appropriate decals on the back window in place of the usual stick figure family.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

We used to have a Seat Toledo that I called the Tardis. That generation of Toledo had a trunk lid which included the rear glass, and that car could load anything and everything. It truly was bigger on the inside than the outside.

My Dad has had several Toyota Prii over the years, the first two we named “Greenbean” in reference to their being hybrids. His current model is bright red and thus “Cayenne”.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    My Dad has had several Toyota Prii over the years, the first two we named “Greenbean” in reference to their being hybrids. His current model is bright red and thus “Cayenne”.
    I like that the plural of "Prius" is "Prii".

My dad used to name his cars, but I never got into the habit. It is just "mine" and "my wife's" or "Niro" and "Optima".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I have a car with no name. It is like the wind. It's a rebel, a loner, Dottie.

My wife's previous car was "the Kia". Now she has a new car, known as "the Kia". Then we have "the van" (which results in me forgetting which brand it is) and "the Alpine" aka "daddy's red rally car" aka "the Tupperware" as it's a glassfibre coach. The kids will have to do a little rebranding after I'm done repainting it though.

My brother's hobby car is known as "the toyboy" because its real name is "HF Turbo".

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I like that the plural of "Prius" is "Prii".
    Nononono. I think you'll find that's actually an abomination on a level with "rhinoceri".
    In Latin prius is either an adverb ("before", "sooner"), or the neuter form of the adjective prior ("first", "previous"). So it's either Priuses (since the adverb has no plural form) or Priora (the plural neuter adjective).

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    My dad used to name his cars, but I never got into the habit. It is just "mine" and "my wife's" or "Niro" and "Optima".
    I haven't known anyone who gave their car a pet name since a girlfriend I had in 1978. I suspect she's probably still doing it. (No, it's not why we split up. But it may have contributed.)

Grant Hutchison

Sorry, Grant, but “Prii” is the official plural, decided on in a contest Toyota held ten years ago.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Sorry, Grant, but “Prii” is the official plural, decided on in a contest Toyota held ten years ago.
    I know. I actually wrote about it on my blog a few years ago:
    And then (sigh) there’s Prius. The car made by Toyota. For reasons best known to themselves, Toyota invited the general public to vote on a plural for this name—and they got what they deserved, ending up with the frankly daft Prii.
    I wasn't contesting the "officialness" of the plural--just pointing out that it's an abomination.

Grant Hutchison

It's interesting also to note that there are cases when an organization decides on an official word but people actually don't use it. This is quite common in Japan, where people don't necessarily understand how English is typically used so come up with "rules" that are ignored. For example, the University of Tokyo insists that their name be written as The University of Tokyo (with the The capitalized in all cases), but people don't follow that. And the place where I work insists that our name by written in all caps, but actually people don't follow the rule. And there is even an organization called the STS Forum, which writes their name as STS forum, but again, many newspapers don't use italics so they can't follow that "rule" anyway. I would would naturally say "Priuses" and wouldn't particularly care if there is some "official" one. I do like "virii" though. It's kind of cute.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I do like "virii" though. It's kind of cute.
    Did you bring that up specifically because you read the footnote to my blog post? Or is that just some sort of malign coincidence?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Did you bring that up specifically because you read the footnote to my blog post? Or is that just some sort of malign coincidence?
    It was a malign coincidence. To me, virii is one of those things like deliberately pronouncing scissors skizers or knife with a "k" at the beginning. Or using "depeditate" when the printer doesn't print the bottom of the paper because of a problem with the paper size setting (A4 vs. Letter).
    As above, so below