Page 199 of 202 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,970 of 6034

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It was a malign coincidence. To me, virii is one of those things like deliberately pronouncing scissors skizers or knife with a "k" at the beginning.
    I'd certainly put all those together, too.

Or using "depeditate" when the printer doesn't print the bottom of the paper because of a problem with the paper size setting (A4 vs. Letter).
    Well, if it's good enough for Samuel Johnson, it's good enough for me.

Grant Hutchison

My first pickup was not a very good vehicle, but when one of my sisters first saw it, she said it looked cute, "like a Tonka Toy". I referred to it as "Little Gem", which, depending on the day, could be genuine or sarcastic. Otherwise, my vehicles don't get nicknames.

I've stuck with ear-covering headphones rather than earphones for my whole life til now, because they had both better sound-isolation from the outside and better sound quality on the inside, even though they make the area they cover get hot quickly and they tend to compress the ears unless you get such enormous ones that they cover the entire side of your head and weigh a few pounds.

But a weird (and still unexplained) problem that came up with my headphones recently led me to give earphones another try, and now I've discovered that their sound isolation and sound quality have both improved a lot since the last time I'd checked. So now I can get the sound I want without the heat & weight & fit issues of headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    ... and they tend to compress the ears unless you get such enormous ones that they cover the entire side of your head and weigh a few pounds.
    I got ears that are big, but not that big!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

... For example, the University of Tokyo insists that their name be written as The University of Tokyo (with the The capitalized in all cases) ...
    Ohio State fans?

... And the place where I work insists that our name by written in all caps, but actually people don't follow the rule. ...
    Hey, my company, too!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The live coverage of the Tour de France is about to start at 18:30 my time. Our local brodcaster is already into the preliminary discussions and interviews .

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The live coverage of the Tour de France is about to start at 18:30 my time. Our local brodcaster is already into the preliminary discussions and interviews .
    Allez Opi-Omi!

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Allez Opi-Omi!

Grant Hutchison
    I wonder if she has stopped running yet. I gather everyone "official" is interested in a little chat. That being said, for years I have been amazed/horrified at the lack of crowd control at the Tour. That incident seems to have been in open country where it is harder to keep spectators in check. But there have also been plenty of incidents that could have been a lot worse in areas that were easy to control.

We were shocked, when we watched that last night, to see that there were no barriers of any kind.

Meanwhile, I woke up to a message from my best friend from college, whom I haven't seen since college. He's been south of here on vacation, and he's asked if I have time to see him if he stops by on his way through.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We were shocked, when we watched that last night, to see that there were no barriers of any kind.
    The longest stage this year is 249 km. The total is 3414km. You can't realistically put barriers. It's hard enough to stop and divert traffic from those routes. For the crowds, you have to rely on their own cmmon sense. Which some of them simply don't possess. I've once had a rally stage where a spectator crossed the stage right before my car. On that stage, you had a 1000kg+ car coming by in anger every 30 seconds. And still someone thought it wise to cross the stage a good time after the previous car passed.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

It's kind of impractical to have barriers the length of the course. Opi and Omi must be so proud.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's kind of impractical to have barriers the length of the course. Opi and Omi must be so proud.
    A real moral dilemma for them--will they turn in their grand-daughter to the authorities? (I assume France recognizes some sort of offence analogous to Culpable And Reckless Conduct in Scotland, or Reckless Endangerment in the USA.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    A real moral dilemma for them--will they turn in their grand-daughter to the authorities? (I assume France recognizes some sort of offence analogous to Culpable And Reckless Conduct in Scotland, or Reckless Endangerment in the USA.)
    According to one news site, the corresponding offence in France is "Unintentional injuries with incapacity not exceeding not three months by manifestly wilful violation of an obligation of safety or prudence”. I feel Google Translate may have had a role to play in that.

Grant Hutchison

At least that mass-crash has finally taught me that "peloton" is an actual word, not just a jumble of sounds thrown together for the name of an exercise machine mostly known for bad advertising.

I once rode a bicycle into the middle of a wheelchair race. It's not my fault! They were using a walking/biking path in the middle of a university, which I routinely rode on to get home from wherever I'd just been, and, at the particular junction where my route joined theirs, they did nothing at all to indicate that they were using that bit of path for anything out of the ordinary. I just turned a corner around a building, pulled up next to somebody on a wheelchair... and then saw that there were a dozen more coming behind her, all wearing big number signs, and the path ahead of me had been roped off and had an audience standing outside the rope.

My dog is a little nuts, but she has some lovable traits. This morning at about 5:15, she barreled into the bedroom snarling and snapping. She managed to knock me on the floor then kept going at me, nipping and barking. She's 60 lbs, so this is rather motivating. I took my blood sugar and it was very low. She had eggs with me.

She's a rescue dog. As far as I know, no one deliberately taught her this behavior. But I see how I am reinforcing it. It is very odd because she only does it in emergencies. It happens like once a month. That is a very specific behavior to learn. If I'm sleeping, she wakes me. If I am awake, she tries to get me to lay down before going for help. If no one is around, she'll try to drag me outside before going for help.

I have this funny video someplace where she got confused by the TV. She tried to get the people on TV to help me. I was watching Avengers and she was reacting to Thanos' voice... which is slightly bonkers.

There was a time when this was a daily event. I've knocked it back to once a month or less, which probably wouldn't have happened without the dog.
    Solfe

I got to visit with my friend for about three or four hours. We updated each other about our lives and also just talked. The kids really wanted to be more part of it than they were, but since he's got a six-year-old, he understood their feelings. I question some of his current life choices, but that's not unusual for us. He seems to have settled into a pretty decent life, and I'm happy for him, even if I think certain bits of it don't make a lot of sense.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    ... She's a rescue dog. ...
    And once again that phrase takes on a double meaning.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Well, after saying that the start of the Tour was making me happy it is now starting to have the opposite effect. The number and severity of the crashes so far, even excluding the spectator caused one, are beginning to cast a pall on the whole thing. There is a groundswell of opinion that the 'wrong' route was chosen for the first few days of the race. Initially it was supposed to start in Copenhagen but when that was ruled out fairly close to the starting date the new stages were decided upon in relative haste. It appears that they may have included too many narrow or otherwise unsuitable roads.

Tonight, my son asked me some awkward questions.

Nathan: Dad, what is synth-pop?
    Me: "This means nothing to me." Ultravox. Vienna.
    Nathan: What?
    Me: Just start there and you'll figure it out.

One web search and 4 minutes and 43 seconds later, he came back with the biggest smile on his face.
    Solfe

But now you've created the expectation in his head that the average synth-pop is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    But now you've created the expectation in his head that the average synth-pop is awesome.
    I really love that song, except for that dance beat at the end.
    As above, so below

I love it too, as well as a good selection of other synthpop classics. But then there's the rest of them...

Hearing "synthpop" brings to mind the worst of the artifically-flavored, supermarket brand, carbonated soft drinks.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

That figures, when I hear "K-pop" I always think it's some kind of cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Now he has a stack of Ultravox CDs and a record player. He'll figure that out, too.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Now he has a stack of Ultravox CDs and a record player. He'll figure that out, too.
    I never figured out how to play CDs on a record player. That would require some serious modification!
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I never figured out how to play CDs on a record player. That would require some serious modification!
    Nerd note:I helped develop CDs using electron beams and of course they are replayed by laser. The progress from the turntable monster that allowed a helical groove a few microns wide became mass produced, multi-tracked, pocket sized, in such a short time that it bloomed and wilted within one generation. And on a side note, when we had managed to get a few minutes of video onto a CD prototype, a market study was done. “No demand” was the result. The same happened when working on mobile phones, “tiny market” was the answer. It kind of makes one cynical.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Nerd note:I helped develop CDs using electron beams and of course they are replayed by laser. The progress from the turntable monster that allowed a helical groove a few microns wide became mass produced, multi-tracked, pocket sized, in such a short time that it bloomed and wilted within one generation. And on a side note, when we had managed to get a few minutes of video onto a CD prototype, a market study was done. “No demand” was the result. The same happened when working on mobile phones, “tiny market” was the answer. It kind of makes one cynical.
    Sorry, I have to ask some nerdy questions. When you say you helped develop them, you mean you were a researcher working to develop the CD? That's pretty cool. But I was under the impression that they were shaped (I means the bits were recorded) by holes created by a writing laser beam. When were electron beams used?

And then really as a nerdy thing, you wrote "multi-tracked." What do you mean by that. I think the normal use of the term (I record music) is that mutl-tracking is the process of recording different instruments separately and then mixing them into (usually) a left and right stereo channel. There are other formats like soundsound that use more than two channels. Is that what you meant?
    As above, so below

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Sorry, I have to ask some nerdy questions. When you say you helped develop them, you mean you were a researcher working to develop the CD? That's pretty cool. But I was under the impression that they were shaped (I means the bits were recorded) by holes created by a writing laser beam. When were electron beams used?

And then really as a nerdy thing, you wrote "multi-tracked." What do you mean by that. I think the normal use of the term (I record music) is that mutl-tracking is the process of recording different instruments separately and then mixing them into (usually) a left and right stereo channel. There are other formats like soundsound that use more than two channels. Is that what you meant?
    The master discs in my case were recorded in vacuum with electron beams, the discs then flash heated to deform a thin plastic layer under electrostatic forces.
    Other systems used lasers but lasers beams are larger than electron beams. Amazingly to me, the old vinyl process of pressing production discs worked even though the grooves were so tiny. Multi tracking means two or more lasers to correct bit errors in reading or a delay with shift array to double track for the same reason. As you know a CD reads from the inside out, unlike old vinyls. Bit errors were a big headache that threatened feasibility. The commercial result is a triumph of clean room standards, electronics and software. Oh, and some mechanical design! But as I mentioned, already overtaken by digital recording.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Cool to hear. I see that multi-tracking has more than one geeky meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below