Page 205 of 208 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,150 of 6221

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That story was interesting and had some funny bits, like the guy that went with him to get away from his two Japanese girlfriends, or the name of the car. I can’t imagine going that far. It had to be uncomfortable on much of the trip, and it is amazing they didn’t die somewhere along the way.
    Yeah, especially in that time on the ocean. I didn't expect the story to include actual ocean crossing other than loaded on a ship...

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

And for Trebuchet, I have to do a little home town boosting by pointing out that Daniel Ricciardo was born in Perth.
    I think the first time I ever heard of Perth was when they left the lights on so John Glenn could see them as he passed over!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I think the first time I ever heard of Perth was when they left the lights on so John Glenn could see them as he passed over!
    Then I guess you were 22 years ahead of quite a lot of Americans, especially the citizens of Newport.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I was 8 years old when that happened. The feeling of isolation and being unknown by the world was much more evident in those days of no instant communications via the Internet and so forth. Being 'noticed' by the rest of the world, or at least a lot of it, was a really big deal.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Sep-14 at 02:05 AM.

Bring the type of weirdo who goes I just woke at 5 am I wonder if Orion is up.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Bring the type of weirdo who goes I just woke at 5 am I wonder if Orion is up.
    I get up at 5AM most mornings to ride my bicycle. Yesterday morning, I stepped out of my house and immediately spotted Orion. Of course, I checked to see if Betelgeuse was still in one piece.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

YouTube just suggested a video for me of a guy pouring molten aluminum into a fire ant nest. The result was quite interesting, and I got to be happy that we don't have those around here. No Africanized honeybees, either.

Don't ask about the Murder Hornets!

I think I’ve seen that video. It makes for interesting “art.” Also cuts down on the ants.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Don't ask about the Murder Hornets!
    That’s got me wondering whatever happened to the gypsy moths. They were predicted to defoliate the entire north eastern US in the 1970s
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

As of yesterday, both kids are in school.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Yesterday, a good friend from college had her fortieth birthday party. Outside, everyone vaccinated but a few children who were only there for a little while, mostly socially distanced. But it was wonderful. This woman is one of the first friends I made here in Olympia; she and I and a third woman there had all lived in the same dorm building together our first year at our alma mater. We got to hang around and tell old stories and exchange scurrilous gossip about people we knew twenty years ago. We've agreed to start having a "quarterly meeting," simply to spend time with one another. One of the other people there had lived in the city where I was born for a while, and so I got to make a few very specific local references that she understood. This morning, my brain keeps reminding me that I'm pretty sure one of the guests doesn't like me, but I talked to at least a dozen people who did, so I'm trying to push that part of me down. I had a great time, and I needed it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I've just donated blood for the first time in 18 months or so.

On vacation with The Wife in Washington wine country since yesterday. We immediately hit the road after getting our rental car at the airport and headed for Prosser. We didn’t get much sleep the night before since we had to leave home for the airport at 1:30 AM but still, we sampled a few wines from the Horse Heaven Hills AVA before checking in at the hotel.

A short drive got us to the Prosser House for a very nice dinner. The Wife had a burger that she enjoyed very greatly and had a lovely NY strip au poivre which I paired with a local Cabernet Sauvignon…that I actually got to drink, rather than spit into a dump bucket.

Sated and sleepy, we turned in early to sleep the sleep of the dead…until about 4:30 AM that is, when I awoke feeling the aches of a strange hotel bed not well suited to me. A long hot shower helped with that and we’re just about to venture out for breakfast at local, non-touristy diner we found last year.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Belgium has a UFO hotline. Yes. And the part that makes me happy is that they're doing exactly what you'd hope they'd do. People file reports of UFO sightings, they look into them with an open mind and proper research. They try to match up the sightings with air traffic activities, space launches, etc. If needed they visit the location of the sighting to see if there is eg a tall construction crane in the distance that might be misidentified at night. They're able to find a reasonable explanation for most sightings, and some are left in the unidentified or not enough information categories. They're being regarded as professional and objective and as such are often involved in mainstream media reports. Like this week, when the Landsat launch was visible from Western Europe as a white triangular light. They received lots of reports, concluded from the geographical spread that it had to be a high atmosphere event, looked up launches and bingo, Landsat it is. Neat.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Today was our last day in Walla Walla, Washington. As were were walking around the downtown area, we came upon a new winery tasting room. With one look at the sign, I knew that I had to go in and that I’d buy at least one bottle, even if it was awful…because, Moonbase Cellars.

We sat down for a tasting and we thought they were quite respectable in spite of being young. We settled on two and I bought some merch: a t-shirt and a cap.

Somewhat in line with Nicolas’ post above, I had to take a photo of one bottle named for the 1967 discovery of the first radio pulsar, LGM-1.

It’s a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvčdre grapes or GSM, for short.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Oh, that’s a nice one. They are familiar with some astronomy trivia. Interesting name for a winery, and I suppose it will do until there is a real Moonbase winery (probably with prices that are out of this world).

I actually still have a contemporary magazine around somewhere with an article on the discovery of LGM-1, which I read when I was quite young. For those unfamiliar, astronomers detected a regular radio signal from deep space and aliens (little green men) were initially considered a real possibility, but they realized it fit a theoretical object that they called a neutron star. It always stuck in my memory because I wished it had really been LGM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Happy and sad at the same time. I'm still a bit teary.
    Final flight of a British Airways 747-400, dressed in (anachronistic) BOAC livery. The Queen of the Skies, and pretty much queen of my heart. I've bookmarked it, so I can watch again. Flight deck shots. That's MY control stand, my throttles, my speedbrake lever, my flap lever, my fuel switches. My wheel-and-column (we didn't say "yoke"), and though you can't see them, my rudder pedals. For a long time. And most of the claptrap under the floor as well. And a bunch of other stuff.

I joined Boeing just as the -400 deliveries were beginning, and stayed with her many years. There's a good chance I've been on the flight deck of that airplane when she was still in the factory. I've dealt with the big problems, the middling problems, and the little problems that somehow took the most time. Tiny microswitches with resistance issues? Yup. Inadvertent actuation of TOGA switches? Yup. Helping prevent in-flight thrust reverser actuation? That too.

She was a wonderful bird. Sniff!

Final flight of a British Airways 747-400, dressed in (anachronistic) BOAC livery. The Queen of the Skies, and pretty much queen of my heart. I've bookmarked it, so I can watch again. Flight deck shots. That's MY control stand, my throttles, my speedbrake lever, my flap lever, my fuel switches. My wheel-and-column (we didn't say "yoke"), and though you can't see them, my rudder pedals. For a long time. And most of the claptrap under the floor as well. And a bunch of other stuff.

I joined Boeing just as the -400 deliveries were beginning, and stayed with her many years. There's a good chance I've been on the flight deck of that airplane when she was still in the factory. I've dealt with the big problems, the middling problems, and the little problems that somehow took the most time. Tiny microswitches with resistance issues? Yup. Inadvertent actuation of TOGA switches? Yup. Helping prevent in-flight thrust reverser actuation? That too.

She was a wonderful bird. Sniff!
    Yes, a wonderful feat of engineering.

I was amazed at how short the final landing at St Athan was, though thinking about a bit, it's really not too surprising, the plane being empty and doubtless light on fuel. So before completing the video I went to Google Earth and noted where it touched down and where it stopped. Rear wheels touched down about 1000 feet (300 m) from the threshold, and front tires were stopped at 3925 feet (1200 m), for a roll of less than 3000 feet. Later in the video, the pilot figured they'd done it in 1400-1500 m.

It’s not the same thing, but I think I have a good idea how it makes you feel. I’ve been on major software projects where I was lead programmer but worked with others, where there was a lot of work getting it going, but a lot of satisfaction too, and great times working with other professionals. Then lots of positive responses when the software went out into general use, how great it looked, new and fancy, it made you feel good. Then the maintenance phase where occasional issues came up or new features were wanted. You’re working on other things too but you maintain it because you know it well.

Then after time goes by, it’s still used but people start talking about how it is getting old, the interface is now considered old fashioned and they want something new with more modern features and finally it is phased out. But you remember it was useful to a lot of people and it is something you can be proud of. A bit sad, but there are good memories.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today is the last day of the Major League Baseball regular season and the Seattle Mariners are STILL in with a chance of making the playoffs. Not a great chance as they need at least one other team to lose to gain a tie for the last wildcard slot, but I wouldn't have predicted any chance at all a few months ago.
    Interestingly, if the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox lose, while the Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays win, it's a four-way tie for the wildcards! I believe all four games are scheduled for the same time so it'll be a tense but fun afternoon!

Today is the last day of the Major League Baseball regular season and the Seattle Mariners are STILL in with a chance of making the playoffs. Not a great chance as they need at least one other team to lose to gain a tie for the last wildcard slot, but I wouldn't have predicted any chance at all a few months ago.
    Interestingly, if the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox lose, while the Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays win, it's a four-way tie for the wildcards! I believe all four games are scheduled for the same time so it'll be a tense but fun afternoon!
    Yes, a most interesting afternoon awaits.
    However, the division championships are sewn up (or nearly so), and all of the interest is centered upon the American Leagues wild card slots. So, there'd be some opposition to calling it the best regular season wrap day ever. I'm hoping for the four way tie, or at least three ways.

Well, the Yankees and Sox won, so the M's were eliminated even if they had won, which they didn't. Yanks and Sox are tied and must do a playoff, but the M's are clear 4th of the four. No matter, they were in it til the last which was in no way expected. And they had a very nice sendoff for the departing Kyle Seager, who had tears in his eyes.

ETA, in the "not making me happy" department: After I clicked "post", the world turned for about a minute, I got the "are you sure you want to leave" message, clicked yes, got the database error message, reloaded, and the post had gone through. FSM knows what'll happen when I click "save" now!
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Oct-04 at 12:28 AM.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

We left Leavenworth yesterday morning—not the happy part—and while we were there, we finally visited Eagle Creek Winery a few miles off the main roads. It was a lovely tasting among the vines and we left with an amazingly complex Cab.

Last edited by PetersCreek; 2021-Oct-05 at 05:41 PM.

You should come on over to Port Townsend while you're down here. I am now officially tested and cleared of having Covid.

Helping prevent in-flight thrust reverser actuation? That too.
    If you mount each engine 60 degrees outwards under the wing instead of straight ahead, you're already halfway through solving that problem! See? I can do new Boeing style engineering!

Retirement of the 747 surely is the end of an era. What a beautiful, impressive plane. Coincidentally, the only time I flew one was one of the worst flights of my life. Cramped seats (Thai...) and nauseating buffetting throughout the flight. Oh, and central TV playing Herbie Fully Loaded. That particular one must have been one of the lesser queens up there. I'll give the Queen the benefit of the doubt and not apply that single experience to the entire model. The 777 which I've flown a lot in comparison was like the Empress of the Universe. Smooth and solid all the way.

My mother flew a 747 once. It was overbooked and the true miracle of that day was that she could actually convince the desk that she HAD to be on that flight. She got upgraded to first class so far to the front of the plane that she could almost look forward out of the window. She never said anything about a rocky ride so my flight must have been bad luck.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

We left Leavenworth yesterday morning—not the happy part—and while we were there, we finally visited Eagle Creek Winery a few miles off the main roads. It was a lovely tasting among the vines and we left with an amazingly complex Cab.

Last edited by PetersCreek; 2021-Oct-05 at 05:38 PM.

I found the spare battery to my camera, and it was indeed the problem.

"You can't erase icing."

A nice sunny fall day, I am going out and read a bit, maybe take a quick hike, the weather is going to be like this for almost another week.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We're sorry the vacation is over but it's good to be home.

I went on a virtual shopping excursion today. My wife went over to the furniture shop today and picked out some nice things for when our home is rebuilt. We picked out a sofa, a bedroom set and a kitchen table. The sofa is beige, but has a matching chair and pillows with cartoon dogs all over it. I've never been so excited for accent pillows.

I've been sick for over a week. I guess I can say, "I don't get out much."

And in other news, my wife said "yes" to the 20w laser engraver. Now, I can't wait for Christmas or my birthday.

It has a 400x400 mm (about 15 inches square) engraving area. That seems pretty large for a 20w laser. Funny how 20w is both a lot of power and not enough power. I would imagine that etching or cutting over more than a square foot would cook the laser itself. Now I need to come up with some new designs to engrave on stuff. I think I'll start with a horse because that was the kick I was on before the crazy crap started. I'll have to come up with airy, light images so as not to stress the laser.
    Solfe