Page 167 of 173 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 5,010 of 5186

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Padlock?

Crowbar.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    And did you notice that you always find them in the last place you look?
    That applies to lots of things. Unfortunately, for me, the last place is often also the first, fifth, and twelfth place.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Padlock?

Crowbar.
    Combination padlocks are fun to "pick". The principle is sort of the same as picking a cylinder lock, but requires much less skill and visualization. Impresses the hell out of friends and family when you pop their cheap locker padlock in thirty seconds.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Combination padlocks are fun to "pick". The principle is sort of the same as picking a cylinder lock, but requires much less skill and visualization. Impresses the hell out of friends and family when you pop their cheap locker padlock in thirty seconds.

Grant Hutchison
    I worked for a lock company in about 1980, invented ways to defeat multiple tries and picking by resistance, but they found no market for basically more expensive product that you can Still defeat with a hammer and liquid nitrogen Or a portable grinder. But I am out of date on developments this century, they just look the same these days but cheaper still.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Certain amount of damage on the other side of the door, however.
    The professionals use something called a "breaching round"--a frangible shotgun round fired at close range while wearing body armour and face protection. It basically removes the lock from the door structure, and disintegrates into powder while doing so.
    Often they'll just take out the the hinges instead, though.

Grant Hutchison
    They take out the hinges? From the outside?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Don't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That applies to lots of things. Unfortunately, for me, the last place is often also the first, fifth, and twelfth place.
    Oh, I remember that's happened to me. They were there the first time, looking right back at me, and I didn't see them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    They take out the hinges? From the outside?
    They take out the area of the door the hinges attach to. Hinges are attached at fairly standard positions, and they blow a fairly large hole in the wood at those locations.

Grant Hutchison

They take out the area of the door the hinges attach to. Hinges are attached at fairly standard positions, and they blow a fairly large hole in the wood at those locations.

Grant Hutchison
    I wondered if you were referring to something like that.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Today we saw our Grandkids "in the flesh" for the first time in over three weeks. We rode our bicycles over to their place and dropped off some Easter Gifts. Not Chocolates as my daughter said they already had too many. They came outside to see us but were very well behaved and stayed a couple of metres away.

While they were pleased to talk to us the only thing my (nearly) 4 year old grandson really wanted to talk about was the fire engine that drove down the street with the siren on and the Easter Bunny on the back throwing them some Easter Eggs! This was their local Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade fire truck. You can see the "Home but not Alone" poster on the back of the truck. The kids are holding up a "Happy Easter" poster they had coloured in. They are all dressed in best Australian formal wear - it is forecast to be 37C today.

Edit: It actually reached 39.5C (103F) which makes it the hottest April day ever recorded in Perth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easter egss.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	831.4 KB 
ID:	25113
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Apr-11 at 06:22 AM.

I've got Easter eggs to fill today, and tomorrow, the kids will have an Easter egg hunt in our yard. Moving is coming along well enough so that I feel like taking tomorrow pretty much off, and Graham's work is one of the stores advertising how they're giving all their employees the day off to be with their families. Of course, it's not an extra, paid day off, just Graham's regularly scheduled day, but still.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I know others have posted about having exactly the opposite experience, but the deserted streets are making me happy. As someone who thinks that exercise starts after the first ten miles are walked, the UK government's strictures on where and how long to exercise outdoors have been tiresome. But I'm getting a weird sense of community from the fact I meet so very few people when I am out. For a bright spring weekend holiday day, it was as quiet in the parks and streets as midnight on a winter weekday.

Grant Hutchison

We had a real crowd outside yesterday. The wife and I went out front to check on the cars parked in front of our neighbor's house (they sometimes make it difficult to back out of our driveway). A couple came by walking their dog (on leash) and the two teenaged girls from across the street were out chasing their dog (off leash). That's six of us. If we'd gotten together we would have been illegal.

Hey, wait … Perth has paved streets? That's not what Quigley Down Under showed.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I know others have posted about having exactly the opposite experience, but the deserted streets are making me happy. As someone who thinks that exercise starts after the first ten miles are walked, the UK government's strictures on where and how long to exercise outdoors have been tiresome. But I'm getting a weird sense of community from the fact I meet so very few people when I am out. For a bright spring weekend holiday day, it was as quiet in the parks and streets as midnight on a winter weekday.

Grant Hutchison
    J and I went for a nice hike yesterday at a local preserve. There’s a grove on a hill where all of the normal deciduous trees stop and it’s just these 60-foot pines towering over you and filtering the sunlight. It’s beautiful.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    They said they didn't have much use for 'em, never said they didn't know how to use 'em.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We had a real crowd outside yesterday. The wife and I went out front to check on the cars parked in front of our neighbor's house (they sometimes make it difficult to back out of our driveway). A couple came by walking their dog (on leash) and the two teenaged girls from across the street were out chasing their dog (off leash). That's six of us. If we'd gotten together we would have been illegal.

"
    Solfe "They said they didn't have much use for 'em, never said they didn't know how to use 'em"

Well, since that new-fangled bitumen came in a year or so ago we are slowly becoming used to being able to walk down the road without falling into holes. Of course the kangaroos and emus that wander our city streets do complain about the roads being too hard.

This is of course one of our normal roads. I am just getting out of my car after having parked near the centre of the city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roads.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	25124

In response to the first part of Jim's post. Yesterday we were riding down a bike path that is normally deserted. With all the people out now exercising, walking their dogs etc. we passed more people in 50 metres than I have seen in total on that stretch of path over about 20 previous visits. I was beginning to think I would wear out my bell with the amount of ringing I had to do.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Apr-12 at 02:20 AM.

I know that P.J. O’Rourke’s Holidays in Hell did describe Perth as feeling like the Wild West in the 1980s, but 1) his whole thing in that book was being a grouchy American ripping on everywhere else (often to degrees I found unkind as an American) in “funny” ways and 2) this was literally during the 1987 America’s Cup that brought so much development and attention to the Perth area.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Yes P.J. O’Rourke is to be treated as often amusing but also often not too reliable. That being said in the 1980's Perth was in the grip of another of recurrent series of 'mining booms' and we certainly had a few 'entrepreneurs' who behaved in the manner of the robber barons of 19th Century USA. A number of them ended up in prison or barely escaped being there by one means or another.

I was stationed at Fremantle, the port city where the America's Cup was held, and the amount of development was amazing. The whole place was revitalised and our office moved from a rickety and overcrowded Edwardian style 1903 building into a flash new building that was built inside the facade of an chain and rope warehouse - heady days. I still remember driving home o n the last day of the challenge along the river and seeing masses of boats, planes, helicopters and even an airship flying overhead.

I always thought highly of Perth and Rockingham because of John Glenn's flight.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

This is remarkably trivial, but a game I play on my tablet has been giving everyone special goodies every other day to encourage us to stay home and play their game instead of going out. (It actually says this with every batch of goodies.) Since I don't use any in-app purchases, this has been helpful for advancing my game.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I can watch a full evening of Antiques Roadshow on PBS this evening, both British and American. I especially like the British version, because, well, Fiona Bruce.
    As always, staying awake will be a problem.

I especially like the British version, because, well, Fiona Bruce.
    Really? I find it unwatchable because, well, Fiona Bruce. She does her trademark "amused incredulity" intonation when reading the BBC News, too, usually when talking about things that aren't remotely surprising.
    "In other news, it has been raining in Scotland and people have been getting wet when they go outdoors!" (Shakes head in affected bewilderment.)

Grant Hutchison

You've made me laugh, I'll have to watch for that. I just find her attractive!

"In other news, it has been raining in Scotland and people have been getting wet when they go outdoors!" (Shakes head in affected bewilderment.)
    If that were changed to “Sacramento in the summer” it could be entirely serious. Last year mid June I went to the store one night and was absolutely astonished that there was significant rain falling. Of course I hadn’t brought a jacket, rain clothes or an umbrella (those stay in the closet over summer), so I got wet. And I still remember it, my reaction to it, and roughly when it happened. I enjoyed it though - warm rain and humidity in summer are rare experiences.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Apr-14 at 03:21 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well, I have to admit that I also find her attractive.

As regards the "amused incredulity" I have obviously never her seen her read the news so it probably doesn't seem as obviously misplaced to me. But then again, some "English" TV shows seem to thrive on incredulity. Going by the reactions of people appearing Grand Designs anyway. These people, building their dream-homes, always seem absolutely amazed that it gets wet and very cold in winter in the UK and that this might affect their incredibly ambitious building timetables.

I think she's undoubtedly smart, reputedly kind, and (given her success in a distinctly sexist organization) probably a fine positive role model. And I imagine she doesn't do it when she's not broadcasting.

A lot of people seem to have vocal tics when they've got their "presentation voice" on. I found out that I do when I recorded a podcast slide presentation a couple of years before I retired. I did a strange little pause-and-surge thing as I transitioned from set-up slide to pay-off slide. I became so conscious of it subsequently that it damaged my ability to make presentations for a while.
    Unfortunately, I'm so conscious of Bruce's up-intonation-and-head-shake thing that I can't actually listen to what she says anymore.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    If that were changed to “Sacramento in the summer” it could be entirely serious. Last year mid June I went to the store one night and was absolutely astonished that there was significant rain falling. Of course I hadn’t brought a jacket, rain clothes or an umbrella (those stay in the closet over summer), so I got wet. And I still remember it, my reaction to it, and roughly when it happened. I enjoyed it though - warm rain and humidity in summer are rare experiences.
    I'm always amused (and occasionally alarmed) by the reactions some people have to rain showers. So you get wet. Well, you'll get dry again. It's not the bleedin' zombie apocalypse. But some folk seem to be gripped by an unreasoning panic (GOT TO GET OUT OF THE RAIN!) to the extent they'll run through moving traffic to reach a shop doorway.

I actually turned up to my final postgraduate viva exam in a soaking wet suit.
    "Got caught in the rain, I see," said one of the examiners.
    "Yes," I said. "I'm sorry about the dripping."
    "That's OK," he said. "The previous fellow was covered in mud and blood."
    Never did find out the back story to that.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I'm always amused (and occasionally alarmed) by the reactions some people have to rain showers. So you get wet. Well, you'll get dry again. It's not the bleedin' zombie apocalypse. But some folk seem to be gripped by an unreasoning panic (GOT TO GET OUT OF THE RAIN!) to the extent they'll run through moving traffic to reach a shop doorway.

I actually turned up to my final postgraduate viva exam in a soaking wet suit.
    "Got caught in the rain, I see," said one of the examiners.
    "Yes," I said. "I'm sorry about the dripping."
    "That's OK," he said. "The previous fellow was covered in mud and blood."
    Never did find out the back story to that.

Grant Hutchison
    A tip I learned is to resist hunching in rain and cold, instead pull back your shoulders and make a mental adjustment. The former, I believe, maintains blood circulation, the latter is self reinforcement, but it works in temperate climes. Can give a certain kind of reputation, but that’s mostly good.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. The rain is just a fact of life. We don't use umbrellas.

I did find my fancy parasol yesterday, at least? And today is the last time I will be posting from an apartment--we get the truck in two and a half hours.

"You can't erase icing."

Yay!