Page 170 of 174 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5199

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

My county is on the short list for possibly reopening a bit early. My wife might be able to get her hair done soon!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hopefully conditions are actually right for that in your state or it could lead to many things not to be happy about.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Hopefully conditions are actually right for that in your state or it could lead to many things not to be happy about.
    There've been no new infections in the county for a while. Unfortunately, people will probably come here from the neighboring counties. Our state is being FAR more conservative about this than others you've been hearing about.

The lockdowns have already been going on long enough to "lead to many things not to be happy about."

I'm afraid, when history is finally written, we'll find that we did more damage than we prevented.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    The lockdowns have already been going on long enough to "lead to many things not to be happy about."

I'm afraid, when history is finally written, we'll find that we did more damage than we prevented.
    And I suspect the opposite, that we are going to regret easing restrictions too quickly. I guess only time will tell if either of us is correct.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There've been no new infections in the county for a while. Unfortunately, people will probably come here from the neighboring counties. Our state is being FAR more conservative about this than others you've been hearing about.
    16 days for our province without new cases, 118 all recovered and out of the hospital. Nova Scotia not doing so well but doing better now. Some of the restrictions have been lifted. but it will be a while before everyting is open. Here is song for the ones lost in the shooting.
    https://youtu.be/nO3LBHttplY
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    And I suspect the opposite, that we are going to regret easing restrictions too quickly. I guess only time will tell if either of us is correct.
    True. However - I suspect it's going to be very easy for people to rationalize that it would've been worse/better if we'd stayed locked down longer/opened sooner, pretty much regardless of what happens.

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating for an immediate, complete reopening, and I'm not advocating for a nation-wide reopening. It's going to have to be gradual, and it's going to vary state-by-state (and probably even city-by-city).
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    You've got my vote.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I'd guess it's going to be some of each.

True. However - I suspect it's going to be very easy for people to rationalize that it would've been worse/better if we'd stayed locked down longer/opened sooner, pretty much regardless of what happens.

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating for an immediate, complete reopening, and I'm not advocating for a nation-wide reopening. It's going to have to be gradual, and it's going to vary state-by-state (and probably even city-by-city).
    Depending on how much state-to-state travel there is, I suspect we are going to have 50 data points for future study on how to deal with a pandemic.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thanks to the new kitten, the dog is now on a tight walk and potty schedule. With everybody home, these animals are getting pampered in the extreme and the poor dog doesn't know how to react to all of the attention. This morning I woke up to all three kids holding all three pets. We had a couple of near misses with getting her (the dog) outside when she needed it. Now I am taking her out every 2-3 hours like a puppy, whether she has to go or not.

It's cuteness overload.
    Solfe

I was finally able to have a restaurant meal yesterday!

Ok, I got a McChicken at the McDonalds drive-thru. But the fries were fresh and really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    But the fries were fresh and really good.
    McDonalds
    Really
    Good

Sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

I spent yesterday evening engaging in a couple of vices and video chatting with friends doing the same. It was even warm enough to not set up the "cigar yurt" (as The Wife calls it) or to light up the fire pit...although that would have been pleasant. But I'm still waiting on delivery of a cover screen in order to comply with municipal burn restrictions. Still...blue skies, a few clouds, and the Sun setting at an ever shallower angle as we pick up steam toward the Solstice. Sunrise at 05:34, sunset at 22:16 (AKDT).
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    McDonalds
    Really
    Good

Say what you will about the rest of the menu, McD fries are very good. Not as good as when they fried them in beef tallow, but good.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Nostalgic astronomy makes me happy.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Say what you will about the rest of the menu, McD fries are very good. Not as good as when they fried them in beef tallow, but good.
    Bleh, over salty stringy nothing.

When we went from level 4 lock down to level 3, there were queues around the block of people getting McDonalds.

I stayed home eating my emergency supplies.

When a decent neighborhood Fish & Chips shop opens up ... then I'm in ... (after the crowds subside).
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Last week the Fish'n Chip place opened, yes some made to my place.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sorry, but since they stopped using beef tallow, I’ve never liked them. They used to be a treat. I try them occasionally at different McDs, and am always disappointed. I have usually liked Carls Jr fries, and various other hamburger places. I do sometimes get in a mood for one of the McD cheeseburgers and do better with them.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We haven’t had any restrictions on take out food aside from how you pick it up, or delivery. Delivery isn’t cheap, mostly because of the tip to the driver, but it sure is convenient. For a change a couple days ago I got a pizza and some extras through grubhub delivery, and it sure is easy to order food online, they even have a gps setup so you can track the driver approaching the home (though not quite in real time). All payment ahead of time, and driver was asked to leave it on the porch, so I just opened the door and picked up my food. Very nice, and a good change of pace with the food.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My wife had to go get some labs done today so after the hospital we went for a drive. They've opened the state parks, within reason, so we went and drove around Fort Worden. That was quite nice. I don't think she's been out in about three or four weeks. Then we went to nearby North Beach, a city (county?) park which abuts Fort Worden. There were lots of cars there, and the one that drove in in front of us was the police. Uh-oh, he's going to tell people they have to break up, or go home, or something.
    Nope, he was just taking pictures of the kite-surfers on his phone!
    Good day for it, warm, sunny, but pretty windy there on the Strait!

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Bleh, over salty stringy nothing.

When we went from level 4 lock down to level 3, there were queues around the block of people getting McDonalds.

I stayed home eating my emergency supplies.

When a decent neighborhood Fish & Chips shop opens up ... then I'm in ... (after the crowds subside).
    On the whole, we found NZ Fish & Chip shops better than those in Australia. The best we had was at Kawhia. The fish was straight off the trawler - a literal catch of the day.

The Farm Burger near us is still closed. We’re being patient, but not by much.

That's weird how all of this stuff is different based on location. A large number of restaurants in Buffalo are open for take out. There are a few that closed though, like our local wing place and our favorite, Water Lily Cafe.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    McDonalds
    Really
    Good

When I was doing an internship in the summer of 2011, I was 18 and my Dad was still a bit overprotective and liked giving me very obvious advice over the phone every morning in a very strict tone of voice. One day, explaining to him that as it was Saturday and my day off I was going to visit a museum, he scolded me "If you get lunch, don't eat any yucky, nasty food" and then, in the very next sentence, said "Go to McDonalds."

I still tease him about that sometimes.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

The one thing I'd point out about Grub Hub and similar is that it's often harmful to the restaurants themselves; Grub Hub's take is enormous and not only cuts into the restaurants' profits but into their operating expenses as well.

Actually, the thing that makes me happy is a home-cooked meal we had last nigh! It was Graham's birthday, and I'd bought a steak the last time I went grocery shopping. (Since it was nearly three pounds, "a" steak was enough for us!) I made breadsticks, and we cleared off the table and actually had a sit-down meal as a family in our new home. We had real conversation, and then Graham had some of the Costco cheesecake I'd bought that same day and the kids and I had ice cream. (Cheesecake is his traditional birthday cake, but neither Simon nor I like it, and Irene likes ice cream enough to not care about trying cheesecake.) His birthday card from my mom, his renewed driver's license, and the birthday present I'd bought him all actually arrived yesterday, so Simon and Graham spent some time playing a Sega Genesis emulator that hooks into the little TV we bought for the living room the other day. What's more, we'd gotten the TV as a floor model that didn't come with a remote, and Graham finally got one of our universal remotes to work with it, so I believe it even has sound now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Watching television coverage for the 75th anniversary of VE day. In the middle of the recording of Churchill's speech, the kid next door fired up "Last Post" on his tuba in the garden. I've never heard it on the tuba before, but it worked well, and it was a striking combination with the TV footage.

And, searching around for a little more information on the origin of "Last Post", I turned up a rather striking video from the British Army: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDS3TxtGaQ0

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-May-08 at 03:20 PM.

Turns out it's like riding a bike.

Riding a bike, that is. Yesterday was a sunny day, and while I've dutifully walked down to the local supermarket during level 4 lock down, I figured at level 3 (soon level 2) I could go a little further - to a much better supermarket where the self-checkout machines don't hate me and the staff are nicer.

Can't fit all that much more on the bike than I can carry up the hill from that local place, but still, it was more; eating like a king this weekend.

Haven't been further than ~ 586 m (as crow flies) from my house in 7 weeks. Felt very good.

---

The video was stirring Grant. I've lost track of dates and didn't realise VE day was upon us. I'm now very surprised at how little attention it got over here! We did get involved at the time.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    The video was stirring Grant. I've lost track of dates and didn't realise VE day was upon us. I'm now very surprised at how little attention it got over here! We did get involved at the time.
    It was difficult to get out of, by all accounts.
    The 75th's pretty special, and seems all the more poignant with the last few survivors of that conflict now confined and constrained by the Current Unpleasantness.

My father, who was flying "cab rank" air support for the Allied invasion of Burma during the early part of May 1945, used to go through an elaborate eye-rolling charade every VE Day. "Is it today? I missed the first one. I was a bit busy at the time." But for some reason he always found a reason to drink a glass of dark rum that evening.

I used my allotted outdoor exercise period to walk up to our local war memorial.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memorial.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	25213

Grant Hutchison

We went for a drive this afternoon to see if we could see a flyby of some air force planes honoring hospitals. We chose the wrong location and saw them only from a distance but it was a beautiful day and as we were returning home we saw our first little fawn of the year.

We had deer in our backyard the other day, to the excitement and delight of the kids.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"