Page 186 of 194 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,580 of 5791

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

I haven't received that pronunciation.

Here in the US we usually say Ma'am as it rhymes with Spam, and if you say Mama it rhymes with Pajama.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    As I said, they're homophones, both pronounced /mæm/ in Received Pronunciation (short near-open front vowel). But when you address your mother as /mæm/, you're not calling her "Ma'am". And when calling anyone else but royalty "Ma'am", it's generally pronounced /mɑːm/ (long open back vowel).
    Scots pronounce both differently, of course.
    Thanks. That makes sense. Somehow I missed the "homophonous". It's interesting that Ma'am is pronounced different depending on whether it's the queen or not.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It's interesting that Ma'am is pronounced different depending on whether it's the queen or not.
    Royal family or not. I've never been able to find a reason for it, though I suspect that the short "a" originated as a U/non-U distinction, and ended up becoming confined to the most U of U families as the usage of "Ma'am" generally declined.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I haven't received that pronunciation.

Here in the US we usually say Ma'am as it rhymes with Spam, and if you say Mama it rhymes with Pajama.
    And “mama” is nearly a universal word. I looked that up years ago after noticing the same sounding word in very different languages and it turns out these are very easy sounds for a baby to say. See:

https://www.parent.com/blogs/convers...universal-word

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    And “mama” is nearly a universal word. I looked that up years ago after noticing the same sounding word in very different languages and it turns out these are very easy sounds for a baby to say. See:
    Yes, "m" is one of the easiest sounds to make (bilabials), so babies usually start by saying "m" and "b". Also, almost all languages (maybe all) have an m sound.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

https://www.parent.com/blogs/convers...universal-word
    In many languages the baby term for father is something like aba, baba, papa or dada. A grandmother can be nana.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Little known fact. You can refuse mail by simply crossing out the delivery address, writing “refused” on the envelope, and putting it back in your mailbox.

I do this for any non-junk mail that isn’t for us. I usually add “Moved” or “No such person”.

(You’re welcome for the ear worm )
    I've done that but it just gets rid of that single piece of mail. I've never noted that it stops future delivery of wrongly delivered mail, even to the same person.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

After being diagnosed with T2 diabetes, I've been trying to eat better and lose weight. But I've been stuck for a week or so. Then this morning's weigh-in was a new low! Woo-Hoo!
    Unfortunately, today is $12 Tuesday at Papa Murphy's Pizza.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

(You’re welcome for the ear worm )
    You mean,

Return to sender, address unknown
    No such person, no such zone
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Six and half years is more than enough time to notify folks of your new address.
    We'd been getting a package once a month for a kid who used to live in our house. I knew what it was--we actually got something from the company for Simon for Yule--and I knew my kids would've loved it. The parents of the previous owners live right where we turn to get out of our neighbourhood, so it wasn't a huge hardship to drop it off once a month, but we were still getting them in December. I wrote "please update address" on that one, and honestly I might've started keeping them if they hadn't. Either the kid's subscription ran out or they actually updated the address; we didn't get one in January.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    You know there's more than one way to pronounce "pajama", right?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    You know there's more than one way to pronounce "pajama", right?
    Yes, there's the right way, and everything else.

My first Social Security check came today!

I want to thank each and every one of you for paying into the Social Security fund that is now paying me. You are wonderful and I love you. Woo-hoo!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post

I want to thank each and every one of you for paying into the Social Security fund that is now paying me. You are wonderful and I love you. Woo-hoo!
    You're welcome for both dollars I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post

You've been paying me an my wife for some year now! Woo-Hoo!

You people still use cheques?
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Ned Ludd and I certainly do!

I certainly use checks, but not that often. For most things this year I’ve used a credit card. I normally use cash for small purchases and a credit card for intermediate ones but I’ve used almost no cash this year. Occasionally I do bank transfers, and I have direct deposit, so actual paper checks only come up rarely. I’ve probably written one twice in the last year and received one paper check, which I entered into my account by taking a photo of it with my tablet using banking software.

It’s not like the old days.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Feb-05 at 10:35 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ned Ludd and I certainly do!
    My Yugoslavian friend Anna Kronistic also uses them.

Actually, in Japan I don’t think they were ever really used. But actually I’m even more of a Luddite because I still use those dirty coin things. I never got into using my credit card a lot.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I never got into using my credit card a lot.
    The pandemic changed that for me. I haven’t handled cash in almost a year. Most of my smaller purchases have moved to ordering online or by phone for pickup.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Cheques now rare in UK but still used for some high value transactions. In France I still see about half supermarket customers using them. It takes longer than cash (now rare) and credit cards especially with raised limits on “touch” transactions. The machines print the details on a blank cheque and then the customer signs. But still less fraud attached to cheques, versus cards, and cash fuels the “black, i.e. tax avoiding” economy. The USA seems to catching up on use of pins.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

When I said "check" I actually meant "direct deposit". Just a habit.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

For things I'm paying, I rarely use paper checks; I might write a half dozen a year. Everything else is either credit card or online payments through my bank.

For incoming, almost everything is electronic transfers, though my wife's pension is still a physical check.

We used to pay our landlord in physical checks, because he insisted.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I took my wife's watches in for batteries yesterday and was going to pay in cash. There were only two one-dollar bills in my wallet! Guess I should hit the ATM.

One of the headlights of Mrs EV’s Mini Countryman burned out. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to replace, especially given the horrors I’ve encountered with other vehicles we’ve owned.

One of the headlights of Mrs EV’s Mini Countryman burned out. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to replace, especially given the horrors I’ve encountered with other vehicles we’ve owned.
    That's nice to hear, having run into the same issue. I've also found that the replacement headlights are shockingly expensive.

That's nice to hear, having run into the same issue. I've also found that the replacement headlights are shockingly expensive.
    YouTube and the Internet in general, are invaluable for this type of simple repair.

That said, we found detailed instructions for replacement of one headlight on a previous car (4 pages, including small photos), but for the other side, they said “just pay your dealer to do it”.

The associated lights around them can be a bit pricey, too. The Wife's previous car, a VW Tiguan, had cornering lights that seemed to go out pretty often. The dealership wanted $100-120 to change one. I could buy a pair for $15-20. The weren't the easiest to reach and I'm no 'car guy' by any means but I'd get it done. I'll pay a mechanic when I need to but to change a bulb? Nope. I even changed out the fog light assemblies one time because, Alaska rocks. Skid panels are nice to have until you need to take them off.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I'm not sure if it was here or the other forum where I posted the saga of the Honda CRX headlight replacement. A non-standard sealed beam (expensive), very vulnerable to rocks and such. About 30 tiny screws, multiple sheet metal rings, etc. Oh, and then there were the tail lights:
    1. Use coin to pop plastic panel off in cargo area.
    2. Turn bulb holder 60 degrees to remove it from lamp.
    3. Turn bulb 60 degrees to remove it from holder.
    4. Install new bulb thoughtfully provided on the plastic panel.
    5. Reinstall bulb holder and panel.
    6. Elapsed time: About 3 minutes. About 1% of the time for the headlight.

In the "makes me happy" department:
    I have a doctor appointment next week, followup to my T2 diabetes diagnosis in November. So I went to have lab tests this morning. They posted my results on their "mychart" site and it was VERY much better! I've also lost about 18 pounds.

Not quite so happy: This hasn't been a good day for my diet. Leftover pizza!