Page 195 of 197 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197 LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,850 of 5902

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    This whole thing is like I'm reading a conversation frim some other planet. I never encounter these "huggers" of whicch you speak.
    Be grateful you haven't.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My niece, who is quite religious, does "side hugs". They teach that in some churches so no naughty bits are contacted, apparently.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My niece, who is quite religious, does "side hugs". They teach that in some churches so no naughty bits are contacted, apparently.
    "Leave room for Jesus!"

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    This whole thing is like I'm reading a conversation frim some other planet. I never encounter these "huggers" of whicch you speak.
    I'm a hugger (apparently a rarity), but I'm very careful to only offer them to close friends or relatives that want them.

For those who are offended by hugs, you'll hate this song by folk singer Fred Small.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I was going to post that today is the tenth anniversary of my retirement, but then realized it's actually eleven! Even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was going to post that today is the tenth anniversary of my retirement, but then realized it's actually eleven! Even better!
    One of the benefits of retirement is you don't have to keep careful track of such things.

I'm about 2.5 years shy of mine.

I already have one (military) retirement certificate. September will mark my 20th year in civilian government service but I'm not sure if my next certificate will come from HR or the coroner.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm a hugger (apparently a rarity), but I'm very careful to only offer them to close friends or relatives that want them.

For those who are offended by hugs, you'll hate this song by folk singer Fred Small.
    But you may wish to purchase this T-shirt:
    Fully Vaccinated
    (Still Not A Hugger)
    Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Apr-30 at 04:43 PM.

"Retirement" has been five years and a month for me. I've been doing some paying work since then, and will again this year, but I consider that a hobby. The income is my crazy money.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    But you may wish to purchase this T-shirt:
    Grant Hutchison

But that would be false advertising if I wore it. I should get it for my non-hugging friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

But that would be false advertising if I wore it. I should get it for my non-hugging friends.
    Yeah, I didn't phrase that clearly. My "you may wish to purchase ..." was addressing the people offended by hugs that you had addressed with "you'll hate this song ...". So my "you" wasn't you, if you see what I mean.

Grant Hutchison

I clicked over 12 years of retirement in January. And I still had a 'bad dream' about work last night - I was attending a 'Strategic Planning' meeting discussing inputs & outputs and all the other corporate buzz word activities.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-May-01 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I clicked over 12 years of retirement in January. And I still had a 'bad dream' about work last night - I was attending a 'Strategic Planning' meeting discussing inputs & outputs and all the other corporate buzz word activities.
    Yup. I have those pretty frequently. They've largely replaced the similar ones about school.

I don't do paid work, but you definitely can't consider me retired.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I only ever had one bad dream specifically about work, and that was back in the early days of my career. Certainly nothing since I retired. And I don't think I've ever had a dream about school, even when I was at school.
    Then again, I don't seem to get (or at least, ever recall having) a lot of the standard dream scenarios that everyone else seems to bang on about--I've never had a flying dream, never had a teeth-falling-out dream, never had a naked-in-a-public-place dream. Apart from the occasions when a hypnagogic voice dictates the entire plot of short story to me, I don't seem to have dreams that are remotely interesting, even to me, let alone to anyone else.

Grant Hutchison

At 51 I still have bad dreams about school. In fact I'm a child in dreams more often than I'm an adult. I wonder what that says about me.

As for the standard "dream tropes", the only one of the bunch I've had is flying, and that's usually just floating at low altitudes.

My dreams sometimes make me happy. Or upset or scared, of course, but usually they're just weird. I very rarely have dreams relevant or meaningful to my waking circumstances as happens all the time in fiction. If the prevailing theories are correct, it's just a memory flush anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    ...If the prevailing theories are correct, it's just a memory flush anyway.
    I haven’t been following the science, but read that in addition to the memory flush, the brain is also running simulations for potential situations. That last part seems to apply to most of the dreams I can remember.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

As Oscar Wilde almost certainly didn't say, despite receiving credit for it, the most frightening sentence in the English language is, "I had a very interesting dream last night."

Grant Hutchison

For my website, I have been doing a book or game review a week (or more). I am currently on review 25 of 52 of the planned series run. Thankfully, I am running 7 weeks ahead.

Last week I was asked to do a review per issue of a quarterly 'zine. For pay. That's really cool except I've been reading and researching like crazy for my blog review series and 4 more throws a hitch in what I planned to do. The pay isn't bad, 10 cents a word which is 10 cents a word more than what my blog pays.

Time to step it up a notch.
    Solfe

I went full summer uniform -- T-shirt, shorts, fisherman sandals with no socks -- for the first time this year. And I made progress on my project.

I drove to the bottom of the hill yesterday to get our mail, which included two small parcels; one for me and one addressed to The Wife. When she got home, I handed it to her and she said, "Oh, this is for you! I've been waiting for it for weeks." So, for no particular reason or occasion, she gifted me this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0499.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	26144

Yeah, she gets me.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I drove to the bottom of the hill yesterday to get our mail, which included two small parcels; one for me and one addressed to The Wife. When she got home, I handed it to her and she said, "Oh, this is for you! I've been waiting for it for weeks." So, for no particular reason or occasion, she gifted me this:

Name:	IMG_0499.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	26144

Yeah, she gets me.
    I hope you didn't say "That's wrong: you can't have argon in a compound, not without fluorine at least!"

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I hope you didn't say "That's wrong: you can't have argon in a compound, not without fluorine at least!"

And I'm going "Is samarium actually an element?" haha. I guess I don't remember the heaviest elements. But then, astronomy is my favorite science, so I don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

There's a fine line between snark and calling down the thunder.

It's a beautiful start to the day - cool, but sunny with a light breeze - so I walked to the clinic, arrived about 15 minutes early, and was immediately served my first shot of the Moderna vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    It's a beautiful start to the day - cool, but sunny with a light breeze - so I walked to the clinic, arrived about 15 minutes early, and was immediately served my first shot of the Moderna vaccine.
    "Served" makes me smile.
    "And while the gentleman is waiting through his post-vaccination 15 minutes, would he care to see the dessert menu?"

A little visit to the Arctic today. First time above 800m for six months. It's still pretty wintry up there.

Name:	craig damff.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	26145

Grant Hutchison

A little visit to the Arctic today. First time above 800m for six months. It's still pretty wintry up there.

Grant Hutchison
    Great view, I don't think there is anything that elevation around here, plus I get enough arctic like scenery for about 5 months a year.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Grant Hutchison
    Nice to see that you have been able to get out of the 'city limits' after such a long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Great view, I don't think there is anything that elevation around here, plus I get enough arctic like scenery for about 5 months a year.
    Continental climate for ya. I'm amused that WorldData describes the winter in Nova Scotia as "nearly unattractive for tourists".
    The Grampians plateau (where I was yesterday) is a true Arctic tundra. With a biting north wind bringing in snow it certainly looked the part.

Grant Hutchison