Page 196 of 199 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,880 of 5942

Thread: Trivial (or not so trivial) stuff that makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "Served" makes me smile.
    "And while the gentleman is waiting through his post-vaccination 15 minutes, would he care to see the dessert menu?"
    When I got my first Pfizer shot I was directed to the waiting area. I jokingly asked if there'd be juice and cookies. "No, but I could get you a cup of coffee if you want."

I declined, but it was a nice gesture.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    When I got my first Pfizer shot I was directed to the waiting area. I jokingly asked if there'd be juice and cookies. "No, but I could get you a cup of coffee if you want."

I declined, but it was a nice gesture.
    There were waters and snacks in the waiting area of the hospital I went to for my shots.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Swift's comment reminded me that cookies and juice are offered at the blood donation clinics.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Swift's comment reminded me that cookies and juice are offered at the blood donation clinics.
    But not coffee, at least at the ones I frequent. Used to be coffee, but apparently they've decided it's not a great idea.
    In the "bugs me" department, I haven't donated in more than a year due to Covid shutting down the mobile drives I went to. I would have to go to another town, and don't want to do that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

No juice and cookies, nor coffee, where my wife and I got our shots. We got them at the pharmacy of a regional grocery store chain (Giant Eagle). I jokingly asked if we got points in their preferred customer (frequent 'flyer') program, which we are members of. They very seriously told me that we didn't get points for getting the shots. So we got nothing... other than protection from a deadly illness.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We had cookies, coffee, water, and other snacks where we got our shots. We got the shots in our car and brought them with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    But not coffee, at least at the ones I frequent. Used to be coffee, but apparently they've decided it's not a great idea.
    In the "bugs me" department, I haven't donated in more than a year due to Covid shutting down the mobile drives I went to. I would have to go to another town, and don't want to do that.
    I've been doing it, for a few years now, on the first day I become eligible again, subject only to travel restrictions and/or surgery (it was quite minor, nothing to worry about).

But it is twelve weeks between donations here, I think it is eight weeks where you are?
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

I actually donated blood not long ago mostly for the excuse to get out of my house to a place where the kids literally weren't allowed for a while. The staff there was mostly parents, and after I was done, they told me to stay as long as I wanted. Literally. "Fifteen minutes . . . four hours . . . it's up to you!"

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... The staff there was mostly parents, and after I was done, they told me to stay as long as I wanted. Literally. "Fifteen minutes . . . four hours . . . it's up to you!"
    Haha, the parents understand!

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I've been doing it, for a few years now, on the first day I become eligible again, subject only to travel restrictions and/or surgery (it was quite minor, nothing to worry about).

But it is twelve weeks between donations here, I think it is eight weeks where you are?
    Yes, that's correct. My late mother was kept alive by transfusions for 2.5 years, so I like to repay that. But I'm not going to another town because if something goes wrong, well, I'm in another town.

Haha, the parents understand!
    The non-parents understood quicker. It's why we're non-parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yes, that's correct. My late mother was kept alive by transfusions for 2.5 years, so I like to repay that. But I'm not going to another town because if something goes wrong, well, I'm in another town.
    I have a blood type that is not particularly rare on a global scale. However, it is quite rare in the ethnic/racial groups that make up most of the population in the country I am in. And to top it off, most of the people who have it, are not eligible to donate.

So they like it when I come in.

I think things are a lot more "compact" here than where you are, there isn't really "another town" to speak of - the whole thing is one big town

No juice and cookies, nor coffee, where my wife and I got our shots. We got them at the pharmacy of a regional grocery store chain (Giant Eagle). I jokingly asked if we got points in their preferred customer (frequent 'flyer') program, which we are members of. They very seriously told me that we didn't get points for getting the shots. So we got nothing... other than protection from a deadly illness.
    Being in Buffalo, we get free beer. I don't really drink, but it works.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Being in Buffalo, we get free beer. I don't really drink, but it works.
    The best method, Bar none. They've really Tapped into something there.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The best method, Bar none. They've really Tapped into something there.
    I assume that wasn't your first version of those jokes, but that you went through several drafts.

I assume that wasn't your first version of those jokes, but that you went through several drafts.
    Yeah, but the first batch were just barley funny, I had to hops to it to mash something together.

You really hopped onto that beer wagon, didnít you? Worts and all.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    You really hopped onto that beer wagon, didn’t you? Worts and all.
    It was the yeast I could do.

Please people don't wine about the puns.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Please donít joke about wine. Itís a pressing matter.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Please don’t joke about wine. It’s a pressing matter.
    We should all bottle it.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Please donít joke about wine. Itís a pressing matter.
    When there is wine about, I do not joke about it.

It is rather like when the waiter asks, do I want to look at the deserts?

No, I do not want to look at them . . .

It's a beautiful afternoon and I just spent an hour out on my deck listening to music and reading with our gorgeous view in the background. That was just lovely! And I even got something accomplished today!

Sandy woke up the sleeping cat on my bed. So she decided to sing him a lullaby so he'd go back to sleep.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Sandy woke up the sleeping cat on my bed. So she decided to sing him a lullaby so he'd go back to sleep.
    Ahhhhh..... did it work?

It appears there may be a Pumpkin Pitch in September! Awesome! I should haul my machines out and start fixing them!

I went for an evening walk and saw the crescent Moon and stars come out. I was curious about a particular star (ended up being Procyon) so when I got home I fired up Stellarium to confirm that was the star, but then I noticed a bright thing moving across the sky in Stellarium so I clicked on it and it came up "CREW DRAGON 2". I'm intrigued so I ran outside and saw it in the sky, a bright satellite, but is it a crewed Dragon capsule? It looked like the ISS to me. I then did some googling and found that the Dragon Crew-2 is presently docked to the ISS and Stellarium decided to tell me it was that instead of the ISS.

Trivial, and seeing things in the sky makes me happy, so it fits this thread.

Yesterday was the first clear night since moving into our employee housing at Acadia National Park that I didn’t have to go to bed early to get up for training the next day. We cleaned out the fire pit in our yard and tried making a campfire. It didn’t burn very well because most of the fallen branches in our yard are pine and very solid and wet, but we can buy some birch wood in town and try again tonight (and get skewers to roast hot dogs). It was still fun to have a campfire and the smoke helped keep the black flies away.

Our cabin is in a weird spot where there’s a road and a strip of homes that back up onto NPS land but are privately owned and usually have some trees in-between, so we aren’t as isolated as in some of the employee housing deeper in the park (we still have bad cell service, though), and our neighbor does have driveway lights. But even so, the stars were very clear and bright and it got quite dark. The little crescent moon looked beautiful in the western sky and had a little bit of Earthshine, the Dippers and Leo were very clear, and Polaris was indeed almost halfway up the sky because we are at 44 North— just a few degrees farther north than back home in New York, but definitely colder in the morning and evening. I saw two satellites, I think one might have been the space station, but the other was about twenty minutes too early. If we had stayed out longer, we could probably have seen Vega come up over the trees, but we were pretty worn out from the day.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Ahhhhh..... did it work?
    Not as quickly as leaving him alone would have!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yesterday was the first clear night since moving into our employee housing at Acadia National Park that I didn’t have to go to bed early to get up for training the next day.
    KaiYeves - Sorry if I missed the announcement, but I guess that means you got the position, and it is at Acadia. Very nice. My wife and I did a trip there a few years ago and really like it. Have a great time.